Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
burly

Default 1941 Pickup frame repair

The rear uprights on both sides of the 1941 6 cyl. half ton pickup all but rusted into. I have a 1940 frame that was hit in the front and warped but the rear 1/2 of the frame is perfect. Have any of you guys ever attempted to splice two frames together? If so where would be the best place cut and weld back together? Would you cut the sides and the X member in the same location or stagger them? Appreciate it fellas!
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: 1941 Pickup frame repair

If the 40 bent frame is solid , i would look into straightening it out before splicing the 2 together. I have done what you are asking about and i just depends were you cut it and were the rot stops and starts.

You keeping the 6 cylinder in the truck? That does make a difference as the 40 frame has a different front crossmember and radiator mounts.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
burly

Yes I intended to keep it original, another reason I preferred repair the original frame.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
burly

The rust starts at the beginning of the uprights but I thought by moving my cut forward on a flatter section of the frame it might less difficult cut, align and weld back together. I had thought I would cut both sides of the frame and weld the back section of the frame on in one piece rather than trying to repair each side Separately.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
skidmarks

Putting the 2 together in 2 sections instead of taking it all apart is easier to handle. Cutting it in the flat sections is easier to clamp and line up. Regardless of how accurate you cut the 2 , its going to move around and you'll have to square it up.
Make sure its all clean, sandblast it all before cutting. Helps not only welding but laying it out.
Make sure you got a flat level space to work on. A frame table helps
Make lots of notes in measurements.
Cut everything alittle long and finale fit it with a grinder.

I have fix a lot of what your doing on 35 to 40 frames for hotrods, and saved the cherry frames for restoration projects

Most of the time, after fixing the rear frames i box them in
Old 12-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
burly

Would you cut the flat section on the outer side of the frame and the inner X member at the same location or would it be better to stagger them? Thanks
Old 12-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
skidmarks

Stagger them is better and put the cuts under the cab not in the open space between the cab and bed. Make it were you can get to both sides of the joint.

Does your truck have its original battery tray on the drivers side and which side does your fuel line run from tje tank to the fuel pump?

I have a 6 cyl truck im putting back together but missing some parts and details.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The front cross member changed in 1941 to accommodate the G-series 6. I would want to keep as much of the original frame as possible.

Splicing a frame can be done several ways. A person can stagger the cuts on each splice to gain some strength but I would recommend either an insertion patch reinforcement inside the rail or a diamond shaped reinforcement on the vertical cuts of the splices. To fabricate good insertion splice reinforcement patches, the radius of the bends and the dimensions of the U-shaped splices should be such that they fit well inside the frame rail for each splice,

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-13-2020 at 02:15 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
burly

Battery tray is on driver's side. Fuel line had been replaced with rubber gas line on right side. There's a book called "2 Great Trucks" by Howard Towne I've found helpful. Thanks Guys!
Old 12-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
JWL
Member Emeritus

Dwight, you can talk to me about the good frame I have or I can tell you how to properly complete the splicing project you asked about. Just email me.
JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #11
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Battery tray is on driver's side. Fuel line had been replaced with rubber gas line on right side. There's a book called "2 Great Trucks" by Howard Towne I've found helpful. Thanks Guys!
Could you post some pictures of the battery box? I found a 46 pickup.with a 6 and has the battery box but the frame change in 1942 i kinda doubt its anywere close.