Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #1
Chris Haynes

Default Chickasha disappointment.

After hearing all the hype about the Chickasha meet I decided to travel over halfway across the country to go to it. I was underwhelmed. I found it to be slim pickings. Lots and lots of Model T front axles, frame parts, rear ends, steering boxes, and a few fenders. Very little Model A anything. Many, many vacant vendor spaces. Hopefully the Bakersfield/Tulare meet will be much better as it always has been.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Chickasha disappointment.

Covid disrupted many things, did you go visit the cowboy hall of fame while close by?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
McMimmcs

My comment earlier was looked disorganized and very Mickey Mouse. Glad I didn’t travel 1000 miles thanks to Truly Vintage videos.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
700rpm

The latest word on the Portland Swap Meet is that it is also cancelled for 2021.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #5
Oldbluoval

This disease has done this to most events. Couple that with the fact this early stuff is/has dwindled greatly. About the only time any volume of parts gets out is when one of the old timers gives up, retires or passes. It’s sits in the hands of hoarders (I may be guilty) until one of the “events” eluded to occurs.
We need to be aware that if our estates sells these parts they may bring a dime on the dollar. Best to have a plan!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
This disease has done this to most events. Couple that with the fact this early stuff is/has dwindled greatly. About the only time any volume of parts gets out is when one of the old timers gives up, retires or passes. It’s sits in the hands of hoarders (I may be guilty) until one of the “events” eluded to occurs.
We need to be aware that if our estates sells these parts they may bring a dime on the dollar. Best to have a plan!
You can say that again...I am currently downsizing myself.

Going to sell my 50's and and 60's early 70's Rock and Roll collection of vinal music records today...over 1600 45's and 800 LP's...probably will not get much for them but they have been sitting dormant for to long now plus a few other things.

Model A parts...Still hoarding...but there will come a day I am sure!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I had planned to attend again however another commitment (-racing at Bristol) kept me from attending this year. Instead, I sent a wants list with a friend from Knoxville who was able to source many items for me. Chris, I am not sure when you arrived, but half of the swap meet is held in the adjacent parking area the day prior to the event officially opening the gates. This may have been why you did not see many good items for sale.

As far as it being disorganized, you need to understand this swap meet started as a small (-still is) meet where where a group of people who (only) share an interest in early cars have chosen to have a meet. It is in a primitive setting in a very small rural town, -and with that may come the perception of being disorganized. Brass-era has always been the main attraction for this meet. What most people do not realize is if you attend a large swap meet with 500-600 vendors, maybe only 100 of them will have early pre-war parts, ...and maybe only 50 of them will be selling Model-A parts. At this meet, you have 150+ vendors all selling early stuff, so you don't have to walk past 20 spaces filled with Camaro & Mustang stuff, -or Trinkets & Trash vendors just to get to the next space that has some Model-A parts.

These pictures were taken from the meet in 2019 a couple years ago, but I went to the meet with an empty SUV, and an empty barrel & trailer, -and this came home with me. The back of the SUV was filled with more delicate items (headlight buckets, hubcaps, speedo cores, etc.) The barrel was about ˝ full of core items to rebuild (steering arms, distributor housings, carburetors, and smaller items to difficult to strap down). I hate it that you were unable to find what you needed, but as Bill said, the Covid has affected many things in our world including this meet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (134.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1349.jpg (121.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1350.jpg (114.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1351.jpg (104.7 KB, 161 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

The quality and quantity of the stuff in the west outweighs the stuff east. The estate action is hot right now, and prices are down, I saw 25 core A engines go for 500 bucks.. I see the swap meets as social events, though I did buy some of Glenn Johnsons stuff at the Auburn model T club swap last year,not the typical junk you see. Most of the time at the end of the day I had wished I stayed home and worked on the car..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
ronn

I HIT cARLISLE IN THE FALL WITH LITTLE EXPECTATION.

HAD A GREAT TIME, CAME HOME WITH A GOOD BIT OF a STUFF AND WISHED i HAD MORE ROOM ON MY TRUCK..............

sorry bout the caps- im not screaming.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #10
Wick

If your in the East,then Luray Va. Is the place. The Mid Atlantic pre war swap meet is held in May. Lot's of T stuff, but the A parts were right heavy also last year. Good place to find nos parts.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
700rpm

I’ve been trying to sell my Model A detritus for three months on this site as well as local club newsletters and Craig’s List, with very little success. The more desirable items (but not rare) went early, (horn, generator, speedos, ign. switch), but there has been no action on the rest (headlight lenses, nice front bumper, splash apron, tail light parts, water pumps, ‘29 steering wheel and light rod, air filter, and so on.) I priced these items fairly, I thought, but apparently not. I suspect season and covid have been a factor, and maybe my pricing, but maybe also there is a waning need for these less difficult to find small parts? Or maybe, as was mentioned here a couple weeks ago, guys are more inclined to buy new reproduction parts than engage in the actual restoration of original pieces? I’m not ready yet to throw stuff away or give it away. I’m thinking as the weather gets nicer I’ll hold a garage sale of Model A parts only and see what happens.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #12
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
After hearing all the hype about the Chickasha meet I decided to travel over halfway across the country to go to it. I was underwhelmed. I found it to be slim pickings. Lots and lots of Model T front axles, frame parts, rear ends, steering boxes, and a few fenders. Very little Model A anything. Many, many vacant vendor spaces. Hopefully the Bakersfield/Tulare meet will be much better as it always has been.

Looking forward to the Tulare meet on May 1st. Not half way across the country, only about a 3 1/2 hour drive. I'm having swap meet withdraw so hopefully this will be the fix I need.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #13
J Franklin

I find that items do sell if they have a price that forces a sale.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #14
Jordan

Our Fort Worth Model A Ford Club helps puts on the Pate Swap Meet in Fort Worth, TX. We already have sold more spaces than ever before (9,000+) and we are closing in at our max space of 10,000 spaces. It was the 3rd largest swap meet in the country, however we are well on our way to being the 2nd or 1st largest. Our swap meet is growing every year. It might not be only pre-war, but there's a lot of goodies.

We have our approval to host the event this year. It will be at the Texas Motor Speedway on the east side (normally on the west side). This is so they can still have the largest vaccine hub in the nation operating at the same time.

The dates are April 22-25, 2021
Old 03-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Oldbluoval

“detritus”
You have to use words us dumb southerners know!
Looked it up and basically means junk!
Got plenty of that .....might consider selling by the pound!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #16
ldreeg

For me it was a 3 1/2 hour drive and I arrived there before 8:00 am the day of the meet. Lot's of empty spaces and again, mostly T stuff. I bought a couple things I didn't need but still good to get to a swap meet after all this time. Going to Pate next month, about an hour away. Normally not much A stuff but hopeful for this year.

Last edited by ldreeg; 03-22-2021 at 12:55 PM.
ldreeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #17
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
“detritus”
You have to use words us dumb southerners know!
Looked it up and basically means junk!
Got plenty of that .....might consider selling by the pound!
you can add on 10% if you don’t call it junk. Hahaha
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #18
dean from bozeman

MARC meets and Model A Days at the Model A Museum in Gilmore are as good as it gets for Model A swaps. I'm really looking forward to Hershey this year also.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
Brubaker

Default Re: Chickasha disappointment (and 'A' parts in general)

"I’m thinking as the weather gets nicer I’ll hold a garage sale of Model A parts only and see what happens."[/QUOTE]

Ray,
Not that I need another reason to head up to Portland, but if you end up having a garage sale, keep us posted.
Thanks, Bruce
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #20
MickyD

Don't let them go for less than$1 each. I sold mine for that in NC where this is the low price. I probably still have a couple 100 left which are mostly country. Vinyl is doing better right now. It should do real good in CA..
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote