Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Joe/Ct

Unhappy Drive Train Noise

We just did a transmission rebuild, including replacing both drive and output bearings. All seems to be working OK, but I continue to still have a problem.

While in neutral and the clutch pedal depressed, there is no noise. However, when I release the clutch pedal, I get a rumbling sound. Does that mean that the throw-out bearing is bad? I did not replace it because it looked OK to me and confirmed by several others, including the older gent who actually did the tranny rebuild. If the throw-out bearing is the culprit, can it be replaced without pulling the tranny? (We just did that and I'd hate to go thru that process again.) Is it possible to lubricate it thru the tranny port?

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Drive Train Noise

If the throw out bearing was the culprit it would make noise when the pedal is depressed. With the pedal released the throw out bearing shouldn't be turning. It is possible that it may not be fully releasing and the noise you hear is it barely touching the fingers on the pressure plate. Try adjusting the linkage to give a little more free travel at the top of the pedal and see if the noise goes away.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Bluebell

Default Re: Drive Train Noise

If it is noisey (a bearing noise) when running in neutral, and the noise stops when you depress the clutch,then it can be your cluster gear bearings. It can also be the input bearing (spigot shaft) or the intermediate bearing( between the input shaft and the main shaft)
The input shaft bearing will be noisey during all driving. The intermediate bearing will stop it's noise in top gear. The cluster bearings will be less noisey in top gear.
Hope that helps.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote