Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2023, 07:51 AM   #1
russcc

Default Rear brake hose 91A -2078

We have an odd application for a rear brake with the same two female ends for the 1/4 tube size inverted flare fitting, 7/16-24 thread. We need a hose about 12 -13" long, vs the stock 91A-2078, 3/4". Are there any in the EV8 parts arsenal or any custom hose manufactures that could produce what we need.
Photos of the stock 91A-2078 stock hose rear hose, 8 3/4" long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2559[1].JPG (81.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2560[1].JPG (87.2 KB, 14 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
blownford

Default Re: Rear brake hose 91A -2078

I managed a parts store for 26 years. Most every parts manufacture has an "illustrated" catalog or in the back of their "Master" catalog,they will have a section that lists parts by dimensions etc. For instance Monroe shocks will have you pick out the top and bottom mount configuration usually a loop (eye) or a stud. Then you choose the extended and compressed length and it will list the various shock part numbers that meet that spec.

In the case of brake hoses, you choose the fitting size and type for each end and then the overall length Bendix, Wagner and Raybestos had this info available for sure, probably others. Some of the hoses that will come up may have been discontinued or they are not in stock, you need to investigate.

If you go to one of the major parts chains, you might not find someone knowledgeable working the parts counter as they are now mostly kids who only punch in the application and read what the computer says. You might have better luck if your local store has a "commercial" dept that works wit shops.

I would also assume the catalogs are available online for you to browse through.
-Mike
blownford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #3
russcc

Thank you Mike. You are right, I have seen those listings, like the Monroe shock. The local parts store has been here for years, and just jumped on to the NAPA bandwagon when the 2 owners bailed out. We still have several long time employees, one of whom ran the machine shop, until they dropped it, and he jumped to the counter. Plus they still have all the paper parts books. Big advantage over kids & computers.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #4
L-head

"paper" catalogs and "parts counter" men are like dinosaurs. They are just about extinct.
L-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:58 PM   #5
blownford

Sadly that is the world today.

I grew up taking things apart, learning what made them tick and enjoying every experience.

I'm sure there are lots of you that can still find a 1/2 inch or 9/16 socket from a bucket full without reading the markings, but the metric stuff threw us off.

It's a different world now

There are still a few "Gear Head" kids out there but getting harder to find
blownford is offline   Reply With Quote