Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #1561
DWG32BB

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

You pull that up before shifting into reverse.
DWG32BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #1562
DavidG

Chris,

We will miss you both if you aren't there.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:45 PM   #1563
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWG32BB View Post
You pull that up before shifting into reverse.
Ok thanks! Yes was one of my first novice questions on the workings of the truck transmission and the reverse lock out lever. You have some reading ahead to catch up on my thread! Only 78 pages to go, good luck!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-27-2022 at 06:50 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #1564
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Chris,

We will miss you both if you aren't there.
David,
I will see if Cheryl is interested in attending. Hoping I can talk John Kelly to come along and maybe bring a car too.
Did some inventory and rearranging of 32 B engine parts tonight. Getting my small steel work table cleared for the Tennesee engine.

Folks,
I feel a little lost not being able to have the 32 road worthy. I would go for a ride on a nice fall day like this. Around a couple country blocks on the back roads. Just me and the ragged ol truck!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2022, 04:05 AM   #1565
flatford8

Looks like you lost your chair.........Ruby has that “Yes, I’m very comfortable “ look on her face. You have a good jump on changing the engine.....the driving time you lose this fall, you’ll gain in having an early start in the spring!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:07 AM   #1566
RKS.PA

Good morning, Chris,
Dale above mentioned painting your alternator "to make it less conspicuous". You asked if they can or maybe "should" be painted. I believe they can be without damaging the functionality. Alternators do get warm/hot, depending on your definition. The unpainted one on my '47 tends to run around 125* most of the time. It's a six volt positive ground. (Sorry, I don't remember if you converted to 12 volts in your very comprehensive prior posts.) Of course you'll mask the vents etc if you decided to go this way.

Better minds than mine will weigh in here...thankfully!! Personally, I don't mind the look of the current unpainted finish.

Many thanks for bringing us along on your adventure!! Have enjoyed your post from day 1!!...and your great pictures!!

Unrelated when do you swing into the maple syrup season....assuming you need much colder weather??

Best of luck,

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #1567
Bored&Stroked

Come on Chris . . . the vote in in . . . Ford Greed! LOL Hell, paint it any darn color you want - it is your engine and your truck (just don't show it to anybody if it is not Ford Green). You'll have it back together soon as you're itching to drive it before Winter locks you in!

The house looks fantastic - really nice work (as usual with what you do). Take care and hope you get the ole' girl back on the road soon.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #1568
sugarmaker

Mark,
Yes Ruby has most of this stuff figured out and for sure is in control of everything except the cat (Lucy)!

Dick,
Maple production is mid Feb to early April. Very weather dependent. Almost all the maple syrup is made within 200 miles of the Great Lakes. Since we are about 10 miles south of Lake Erie, it puts us right in the maple belt. Also we have those nice lake effect snow storms too!

Still have lots of clean up to do on Model B engine parts. Like gasket surfaces and touch up work too. That rad will get a fresh coat of black after a good washing.
My crude electrical work needs some improvements to make it more servicable in the future too.

Trying to wrap up the house reno project in next few days. Down to details. Nic will be over to finish the electrical work, Lights and outside receptacles.

BTW He brought me some venison stick that he made. Just delicious! We have a recipe we have been using for 30 years, he improved it by smoking the sticks and also adding high temp cheese! I like this on a Ritz cracker with some Maple BBQ sauce! Yumm!

Reminds me, I do need to try to get out in the woods a couple hours for Archery season too.
Our first hard frost today.
Hope things are good in Ford Land.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #1569
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris, you can buy really nice cloth covered wire from Brillman - by the foot. I usually buy an assortment of colors/gauges and the nice woven coverings.

It doesn't really cost that much to build a custom harness that looks right and is made from quality wiring. They also have a wide assortment of solder-on connectors - so you can fix/replace everything in a 'vintage' manner and have a great looking wiring system.
Check them out:

https://brillman.com/
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #1570
51504bat

Did YnZ determine if they could make one for you?
Old 10-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #1571
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Did YnZ determine if they could make one for you?
I did not ask them. But as Dale mentioned I may do some work to find improvements in the wiring system that is in the truck.
Hope to get some time in the next few weeks to spend on the rebuilt engine assembly.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-29-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #1572
B-O-B

I'll second Brillman , good people & excellent products. Their catalog is also good.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:00 AM   #1573
sugarmaker

Bob, Dale, Folks,
I did download all 500 pages of their information. Wow! Lots of tractor stuff too!
Thanks for the lead on wiring and electrical items for old vechicals!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #1574
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
The truck waits for a new engine:

I will remove the pan and start to do an evaluation on that pesky oil leak.
I believe there are three potential areras as mentioned.
- The back and forward movement or clearance in the crank The thrust clearance in the rear main could be way to much.

- The passage through the rear main to deliver oil back to the pan could be plugged.

- the gasket from the pan to the rear main could be out of position causing leaks.

I am going to put my money on the thrust being way to big! This engine was well worn when I recieved it and I did not attempt to check the thrust. The other two areas were generally adressed as I put the engine back together.

Several folks have asked what will happen to this engine? I dont know. Not going to throw it away for sure. The water leak has not been located so that is the biggest problem with the block.

Every one needs one of these small jib cranes! Great addition after using a cherry picker for years!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-31-2022, 08:52 AM   #1575
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
John came over to play in the shop with me last night. We did some checking on the B engine as it came apart. As I dropped the oil pan I got a look at the rear cork seal contact area of the rear main with the pan. This looked as it should with full contact between them. That takes that leak path off the list.

Next was the passage way from the back of the rear main down to the oil pan. Took off the homemade tube and it was fine. Used a plactic zip tie tp probe the rear main and it was open and clean too. Another item off the list of potential oil leak problems.

That left the thrust as the culprit, or the end play in the crank at the rear main to crank.
We removed the rear main bearing cap. Bumped the crank fore and aft with a block of wood and 2 lb hammer.
The clearance we found was .020 inches of clearance between the thrust Babbit and the crank. I believe that this should be around .004 inch. In hind site I may not have done anything with that area anyway. As this was intended to be a quick transplant to get the truck moving. It for sure did all that and more. Just threw a lot of oil out the back!

Some pictures coming.

Water leak in the block caused the undesiriable milky oil mix! That may be the down fall of this ever being a usable block?

The numbers matching intermediate bell housing will be swapped back to the MW block.

Along with the timing cover for the 32 engine support, and the cast pulley.

John looking over the damage!

Crank bumped to the rear of engine. I believe this is where the large gap (.020 inch) would allow too much oil to exit the back of the crank to the slinger. Too much for the oil galley to drain quickly some was ejected and caused a problem. I am sure in the day this may not have been a problem, just add more oil!

So this thrust are can be fixed as the machine shop did with the MW engine. But with the crack in the block water jacket that would have to be resolved first! Its somewhere between a running engine and a boat anchor at the moment!

The engine parts needed for the Monkey Ward (MW) engine will be removed, cleaned up, and the process will begin again.

Thanks for checking in on me and the 'ragged ol truck'! Its not ready to be cranked up and haul me into town for a while!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 10-31-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:45 PM   #1576
Mart

It is possible to reduce end float by building up the babbitt. I just did it on one of my engines. But I don't know how it would be done on a babbitted motor rather than an insert bearing motor like mine.
I can see how Ford improved the rear main design on the V8 by bringing it all inboard. Like you say, the oil has a long way to travel to be able to drain back to the pan. I'm glad I'm not a 4 banger guy.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:52 PM   #1577
sugarmaker

Mart,
I did watch your re-babbiting work to get the thrust improved. Nice work!

I did not acomplish much today as a cold has its grip on me. Spent the afternoon in the shop tinkering with the old B engine. I pulled the head. It was not very pretty.

Number 2 cylinder had surface rust on a portion of the cylinder wall.

I found a suspect spot on the head gasket right at the place where a small water hole is on the edge of the gasket.This was at the back of #2 cylinder Could this have been my water leak?? I cant remember if I ever retorquing the head nuts?? Why are the gaskets this close to the water holes??

Pulled off other items and cleaned up the block to set it aside. I could have additional testing done on this block to maybe 5-10 psi to try to find other leaks??

Harbor freight rolling cart makes a nice resting place for a B block.

Helped John a little with his trunk latch on his 42. Got the old one off and installed a NOS version. He has the vintage plates on now with correct brackets. Cindy is ready to be crusin the back roads!

Hope things are good!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-31-2022, 09:40 PM   #1578
Tinker

Totally dig your follow through. So many times people say things and never come around again with an update.

Great stuff.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #1579
sugarmaker

Tinker,
Thanks! This recap or update on a non V8 engine may help someone else make some moves on their projects too. Like this, not all projects have happy endings. A few, like my truck engine need additional work to get the 90 year old cars and trucks moving again.
Good to have a plan A and B ready too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #1580
Mart

And a plan C if plan C is fit a V8!
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote