Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default Initial timing setting on 54 Merc y-block

I just got my 54 Mercury up and running this week. I had some problems to begin with and want to get some opinions from guys who have recently put together a y-block. I found that the intial recommended timing of 4-6 degrees is way too little. The engine would barely run at that setting. I thought I had other problems because of this. I mean the car would barely pull itself from a standing start. Lots of popping off, backfire through the carb and no power whatsoever. Finally , I bumped the timing as far forward as I could, with the vacuum advance just about touching the back of the intake. Now it runs decent, has good pick up and just sounds better. I have had the distributor in and out several time, thinking I was off a cog or two. But not so, my rotor points right at number one plug wire on the cap. Any ideas as to why this initial timing has to be set so high???
I would say it's probably around 15 degrees or so, but thats where it runs decent.
I am also thinking of pulling the distributor again, and rotating it back, so I have more room yet to advance the timing even more. Right now it is sitting with the vac advance rubbing against the back of the intake, so I cant advance it any more like it is. Someone said the timing marks on the front pulley may have slipped on the pulley???? I don't understand how that could have happened, anybody had that experience???
This is the 256 V8 Mercury engine, it has the stock distributor and vac advance with original 54 Merc carb.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
parklane

Default Re: Initial timing setting on 54 Merc y-block

Most guys will agree that 10* is a good starting point.
parklane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
Ole Don

For some reason I don't understand, Y blocks respond to more advance. I set mine with a vacuum gauge rather than a timing light. If the motor is stock, it can take a lot. Up against the manifold may be as much as it wants. As for the vibration damper, they have rubber between the inner and outer part, and rotational motion can cause them to move. At overhaul time, send yours to the Damper Dudes to make it new again. If you make any changes to the carb, change the distributor to a 57 or newer.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
paul2748

I would double check the distributor orientation. You might be one tooth off. The way you say the distributor is pointing makes me think this. Remember, #1 cylinder is the front one on the passenger side, so be sure you are using the correct cylinder as #1. Sometimes its a bear to get the distributor back in correctly because of the oil pump rod.

Align the timing mark with the pointer. Now check to see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 on the cap. Make sure you have the alignment at the right position, you can be 180 degrees off. The #1 piston should be on the upstroke. You can check this by putting you finger or thumb in the spark plug hole (remove plug) and air should be coming out as the engine is turned.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote