Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #441
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Hey Woofa,

Shouldn't you change the name of this thread to "Tell a Story, Whether it's Related to Model A's or not"?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #442
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Hey Woofa,

Shouldn't you change the name of this thread to "Tell a Story, Whether it's Related to Model A's or not"?

David Serrano
Hello David. yes maybe I should. Short tails from Woofa express may well be a better name. You see Woofa's tail was about 3 inches long, thus short tails.
One day David I will exhaust myself of stories so I may as well just keep writing under the current thread. Besides Mr 40 may not know where to find my stories should I change. cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #443
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Hello David. yes maybe I should. Short tails from Woofa express may well be a better name. You see Woofa's tail was about 3 inches long, thus short tails.
One day David I will exhaust myself of stories so I may as well just keep writing under the current thread. Besides Mr 40 may not know where to find my stories should I change. cheers, gary

Well, let's make it Model A related: Why don't A pickups have bull bars like the road trains do?? How big of a roo does it take to put the A's radiator into the fan? Can a roo jump over your A?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #444
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Just kidding you. Glad you're good natured about it. When I start telling my stories, my wife says "you're going down memory lane again."

Keep writing them because you're good at it and a lot of people have been reading them.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #445
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Just kidding you. Glad you're good natured about it. When I start telling my stories, my wife says "you're going down memory lane again."

Keep writing them because you're good at it and a lot of people have been reading them.

David Serrano
you are so kind David.
you did read my story on how I could not get a pass of 30 in English?

Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #446
woofa.express

Australian snakes.

In blue is direct from the internet.
How many snakes are in Australia?

Snakes. Australia has around 140 species of land snake, and 32 recorded species of sea snakes. Some 100 Australian snakes are venomous, although only 12 are likely to inflict a wound that could kill you. Between 1979 and 1998 there were 53 deaths from snakes according to data obtained from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. and more than half of the deaths occur from bites from brown and tiger snakes.
Both are the most common species in our region of southern NSW. We also have a red bellied black snake and whilst venomous is welcome in our yard. It is territorial and will keep the browns and tigers out. A shy fellow and one we may go 2 or 3 years without sighting. Again direct from the internet, below.
Red-bellied Black Snakes are one of the most frequently encountered snakes on the east coast of Australia, and are responsible for a number of bites every year. They are a shy snake and will generally only deliver a serious bite under severe molestation.

You probably know snakes are reptiles and as a reminder a reptile is not warm blooded. They acquire their warmth by sunning themselves, preferably on a warm surface. Body heat from one snoozing peacefully in bed is a great score of warmth for them. They haven’t yet learned a warm bitumen road is not ideal and as they are not popular with motorists or anyone for that matter so this is where many meet their demise.There is one snake that is popular with people who can identify them and that is the python. It’s non poisonous and consumes it’s prey whole by having it’s jaws spread and pulling itself over it’s dinner. They grow very big but as enormous as the South American Anaconda.
Generally they are unwelcome guests and more popular when they are in someone else’s yard or in the bush. It’s a popular saying “ a good snake is a dead snake”. Whilst they haven’t hurt me I still give them a wide berth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red belly black black snake.JPG (33.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg brown snake.JPG (36.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg python snake.JPG (33.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tiger snake..JPG (27.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #447
woofa.express

Further to today’s story of snakes.

Cane Toads. These horrid creatures originated in the south of Central America and were introduced in Australia in 1935 to control a beetle in sugar cane. It was not successful in controlling that beetle however their rapid build up of numbers was. These toads can excrete poison down their spine and there is not a single animal here that can digest them. It’s death. The community and government want them destroyed humanly by catching them live and putting them in a freezer. That's humane they say and it's law. Governments can be quite silly can't they. I found a golf stick was better and they say splat when you run your motor car over them.
Now why have I written this. Today’s newspaper reports the death of a python in a Queensland yard. It had been resident there for years and killed by a cane toad. These toads are on the march from Queensland and are now as far south as Sydney and west into the Kimberlies.
The picture of the dead python shows the toad sitting at the body of the python.

For anyone interested the article in the news can be found via the link below.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sad-sorry-...232638289.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg python cane toad.JPG (62.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Capturecane toad 2.jpg (87.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-08-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #448
katy

Hi Gary, I heard of a snake in Australia that can spit venom up to 6 feet that can blind a person or animal, know anything about this snake? Or is it just a myth?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #449
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Hi Gary, I heard of a snake in Australia that can spit venom up to 6 feet that can blind a person or animal, know anything about this snake? Or is it just a myth?
Hi Kate. That is the Cobra. it is not found in Australia. I used to see it in East Malaysia on the island of Borneo. It would stand up about 18 inches in a ready to strike position.
I once saw David Attenborough. do a segment on it. He donned a full face mask he confronted the snake and got venom sprayed from one side to the other. Yes he said it would blind it's victim. I used to ride a small motor bike to the airstrip and would not even run over them. they had me intimidated.
I also saw what I figured to be a python enter a fuel pump cabinet. I wanted to remove it but couldn't take the risk that it may not have been the harmless python.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-09-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #450
woofa.express

Au birds. The Cassowary.

I will do you a short story on the cassowary, the emu, the kookaburra and the most interesting bird, the lyrebird and perhaps others that I think maybe of interest.
The cassowary is a big bird, nearly as big as the emu or ostrich and lives in the Northern Australian and New Guinean rain forests. It is shy and not often seen. However if threatened they do get aggressive and are dangerous. Apparently a number of people do get attacked doing such silly things as trying to feed them or get close up photographs. They can weigh up to 100pound and like ostriches, emus and kiwis are flightless. They have powerful legs and can make 30mph. Their diet is fallen tropical fruit and small creatures such as frogs, but prefer the former. Their call is really just a low frequency vibration coming mainly from their body, or so I am told. No not a garden variety bird. I have seen only 3, altogether in one mob. Would I say a flock.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cassowary 2.JPG (63.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cassowary 3.JPG (49.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cassowary.JPG (52.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #451
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Well, let's make it Model A related: Why don't A pickups have bull bars like the road trains do?? How big of a roo does it take to put the A's radiator into the fan? Can a roo jump over your A?
Yes, roo and bull bars are necessary if you live in an area of either high roo populations or in remote country without stock fences. Now a roo/bull bar won't necessarily stop damage to your car but should protect your radiator so as you can make it home. It's disappointing to get your car messed up.

There is one car that doesn't suffer damage. It's got this front bumper that just takes the impact and with one big outward spring rebounds and throws roos and big bulls back down the road from where they came.

Picture of these miraculous bumper bars is posted below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A front bumper bar..JPG (39.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #452
woofa.express

The kookaburra.

It’s a kingfisher. Worlds largest and grows to nearly 16 inches. Eats small fish, small snakes, rodents and lizards.This maybe Australia’s most well known bird because of it crackly and raucous chorus which is a territorial claim. Otherwise known as the Laughing Jackass. Almost everybody loves the kookaburra. I have mixed feelings. They are carnivorous and take young chicks of other species from their nests. Being territorial they discourage other species from our yard. We had one sit on our clothes line and attack it’s reflection in the window. Always blood on the sill. If I feed the magpies the Kooka will swoop the food and Magpie will chase it.With a very quick 180 the kooka will return, grab Magpie’s dinner and be off. Magpie out smarted.
But still I do like to hear their laugh. I have a link to a short you tube clip and it is really worth a look and listen. You need to copy and paste it on your internet programme. Please don't miss watching this short 2 minute clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqdRQxgtZtI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kookaburra 4.JPG (25.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #453
woofa.express

iI you reckon the Kookaburra's okay just wait until you hear the lyrebird in a couple of days.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #454
woofa.express

The Emu.

A large bird with a height of between 5 and 6 foot and weigh up to 100 pound. Flightless, powerful legs and a good runner. Not found in towns, rarely on farms but always on the plains which encompasses stations properties. Some time ago I counted 82 about 40 miles north of Tocumwal whilst I was there spraying burrs. Station properties don't mind them. Most people like them except farmers because they flatten crops and sometimes fences.

Raising their young. Mum lays the eggs and does a runner. Male incubates them and nurtures the young until they are independent and quite big.
It was a craze or trend some years ago to farm them. Emu products were supposed to have stormed the world with nutrition, health and beauty stuff. The new wonder products. Then it all seemed to fade. There were literally some thousands of birds. I don’t know what ever happened to them all. It could be a little like my friend Johnny who acquired 2oo sheep over night. I’ll conclude with that story. The current price of a prime lamb topped out at 250 AUD but has got so low the sale yard selling price was insufficient to pay a carrier to transport them there. Now that’s a variation of extremes but yes I’ve seen it happen on 2 occasions. Well Johnny gets up for breakfast and looks out his window to find more than 200 head in his front paddock. Unwanted ovine. Ovine being sheep just as bovine is cattle.

Tomorrow the Lyrebird. Don't miss this remarkable bird. David Attenborough will do a commentary on this fellow. You will be amazed at what you see.

All these bird pictures have come from the internet.

In the last week I have caught a possum, one that stripped my small fig tree, have had a kangaroo in my yard which with it's big feet jumped through my garden and a koala bear in my tree. I like possums and kangaroos but I like them better in someone else's yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emu nest of eggs..JPG (53.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg emu 2.JPG (17.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg emu young ones.JPG (55.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-11-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #455
woofa.express

Lyrebird.

The Lyrebird is found in the rain forest from S.E. Queensland to Southern Victoria and also Tasmania. It has acquired it name by its tail. Apparently its a little like an Italian musical instrument called a lyre pictured below. It’s predominantly a ground bird but does fly and roosts in trees overnight. Has a diet of small frogs, insects and other ground creatures. The male has a flashy tail and puts in on display to attract a girlfriend. It’s a courtship routine. Then he displays a variety of calls.This is what you will see in the clip. It’s not unlike a young male homo sapien that buys a flash car-perhaps a 1930 Ford Roadster Coupe. The horn is attracts attention and some play a musical tune. Now back to the Lyrebird. The unique feature is it’s mimic. Just watch David Attenborough give his commentary you won’t believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

I live on the plains and have seen only one, when we took the kids to the snow many years ago.
My friend Mark remembers as a kid living country just out of Melbourne. Mark says the steam train would come to the local station. The bird would mimic the whistle and the choo choo choo of the steam piston. Several times each day they’d hear it although mainly in the winter when the Lyrebird had prepared his territory for his mate. The female too has a unique call which is a territory declaration. It is not heard frequently.

Tomorrow the feature bird is parrots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lyrebird.JPG (82.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg musical lyre.JPG (35.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-12-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #456
woofa.express

To hear David Attenborough's commentary copy the link below in blue and paste it to your address bar on your browser. Don't miss this marvellous display of mimic. I just notice it is now Sir David Attenborough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg david.JPG (48.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 01-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #457
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Well, let's make it Model A related: Why don't A pickups have bull bars like the road trains do?? Probably because there's not enough top mount them to on a Model A.How big of a roo does it take to put the A's radiator into the fan? Any roo'll do!Can a roo jump over your A?Easily. A big Red has a bound of about 9 metres (30') and I've seen them clear high chain wire fences. If a roo doesn't get it right and catches its legs in the top wires of a fence, they twist around his legs and trap him there. The poor old roo is left hanging up side down by the legs till he dies. The 7' high fences along some of the highways here have a solid panel for about the top 2' so that can't happen.
Some of those road trains you mention are up to 200' long and weigh close on 200 tons. Imagine that coming at you at 100+ kph (60+mph). The last trailer can sway all over the road using the full width of the bitumen. It's best to take heed of the "Give Way to Road Trains" signs. Often, they take on their 1.200 or so litres of fuel (about 330 US gallons) and don't stop again till they need more. Given the huge weight of these things, how would you get one moving from a stand still without burning out the clutch? There's a cunning trick to it.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #458
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Some of those road trains you mention are up to 200' long and weigh close on 200 tons. Imagine that coming at you at 100+ kph (60+mph). The last trailer can sway all over the road using the full width of the bitumen. It's best to take heed of the "Give Way to Road Trains" signs. Often, they take on their 1.200 or so litres of fuel (about 330 US gallons) and don't stop again till they need more. Given the huge weight of these things, how would you get one moving from a stand still without burning out the clutch? There's a cunning trick to it.

Yes you give way to them otherwise you will sit up front with the little dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mack truck dog.JPG (12.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-13-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #459
woofa.express

Australian Parrots.
Print in blue indicates the content is taken directly from the internet.
There are roughly 375 parrot species in the world with 56 species in Australia.
Parrots include cockatoos rosellas and lorikeets. They are almost entirely grass seed eaters. Found in both urban and rural- outback locations. I have seen and heard parrots up avenues of trees in Melbourne where it is simply difficult to hear what is being said even close by. I have seen flocks of them in creek beds in the Kimberly’s and Territory. Green also red are the predominant colours. Always a delight to see.

However we have maybe 100K white parrots on the river here at Tocumwal. They aren't a delight. This is because we have a grain depot including open silos. Species is Corella. Every town or farm with water and grain has them. They are a nuisance. Squawking. Stripping the tree tops of leaf which destroys trees. Chasing other varieties of birds from their natural habitat. Making holes in the plastic covering at the grain terminal. It doesn’t matter how many are shot on could never get control of the matter. Greenies just don’t understand. They will take the wounded ones to the vet. It’s one thing to be green and another to be stupid.

I’ll leave you with a site link if you care to look at them. The top link should take you strait there but the bottom link appears you will need to copy and paste to your address bar.

https://www.waratahsoftware.com.au/wpr-birds-parrots.shtml
https://www.pinterest.com.au/karenneal4/australian-parrots/
File Type: jpg parrot 4.JPG (29.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg parrot 5.JPG (21.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg parrot 2.JPG (44.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg corella 2.JPG (16.2 KB, 1 views)

Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #460
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
OK, what's the "cunning trick"? Assuming a very low first gear, I imagine one could put it in gear with engine off, leave the clutch out, then start it in gear and get moving a few MPH (KPH?) before using the clutch to shift (or shift without the clutch).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote