Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
JonC

Default Dropped axle question

A 40 Ford pickup wants a dropped front axle but only if I can retain the original wishbones unsplit and heat and bend the steering arms for clearance. Can it be done or do I need to alter anything else. Thanks Jon
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: Dropped axle question

It depends on how much of a drop and how stiff the front spring is
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
JonC

I was planning on using a 4 inch drop with the stock spring, will this be a problem
Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
36tbird

You know that a 4"dropped axle will not lower your car 4", right? But, besides that, I think that the Speedway catalog gives the perch bolt to perch bolt measurements you need to match what your stock set up. Rather than heat up your stock spindles, you might want to get new spindles with the bolt on arms that will clear. Check with Chassis Engineering for those and I reckon they can answer your axle question, too.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
A 40 Ford pickup wants a dropped front axle but only if I can retain the original wishbones unsplit and heat and bend the steering arms for clearance. Can it be done or do I need to alter anything else. Thanks Jon
I doubt the 40 wants that, maybe its owner does, but I believe if it could speak it would say, leave it just as my Daddy made it. lol
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
JonC

Lawson you may be right That is why I am trying to find out how much I need to change things, if I do other than the spindles the stock axle will stay. As far as the bolt on steering arms I have seen bolts loosen up and I won't go with that on a steering part. Besides that when I talk to the truck I was sure it said make me lower but maybe I was mistaken
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
flatjack9

You can reverse the spring eyes and get about half of the drop you will get with a dropped axle. Adropped axle will probably lower the front about 2 1/2". The reverse eye spring will drop it 1 to 1 1/2". My 39 in my avatar has a stock axle with a reversed eye spring.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.

I think the easiest way is to get a Mono leaf spring. i beieve they have reversed eyes. they come with spacers to go on top or under the spring to lower it as you like. And they ride good. My son inlaw has one on the front of his 40 pickup and loves it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
19Fordy

Quote:
A 4 inch dropped axle lowers the car 2 in. if you keep the stock spring. A reversed spring eye lowers it an inch more. Posie makes a reversed super low spring for 1940 Fords.
When I lowered my 40 Ford (car) I used the Magnum 4 inch dropped axle that already comes 3/4 in. narrower for better tire/fender clearance. Also used their dropped steering arms. I had no problems with the steering arms bolting on as I took extra effort to use Grade 8 bolts plus Locktit and made sure they did not bottom out theerby causing the steering arm to potentially work loose. Also used the Posie reversed eye spring. This set up did not require splitting of the wishbones and has been on the car 10 + years with no problems. As you know, when you install a dropped axle you have to shorten the tie rod and extend the drag link when using the narrow axle. One thing most folks don't know is that you also have to buy longer grease fittings to replace the lower grease fittings on the king pin. The originals are just below the dropped steering arms and are too short for greasing the car.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Karl Wolf

Think also of your caster angle... I set up my A-V8 for a possible 4" drop by setting the caster angle at about 12 degrees, counting on losing about 4 degrees on the drop... Have since decided not to add a dropped axle, and I knew I liked a lot of caster...
Caster angle affects steering stability, would not have liked four degrees. Caster can be changed by cutting and welding the wishbone, on the axle end...
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Lawson you may be right That is why I am trying to find out how much I need to change things, if I do other than the spindles the stock axle will stay. As far as the bolt on steering arms I have seen bolts loosen up and I won't go with that on a steering part. Besides that when I talk to the truck I was sure it said make me lower but maybe I was mistaken
(emphasis added)

ROFLMSAO
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
36tbird

"As far as the bolt on steering arms I have seen bolts loosen up and I won't go with that on a steering part."

There are different types of arms out there. The ones where the bolts go into the arms, I do not like for the same worry you state. But, the ones where the bolt goes thru with a nut alleviates any worries. You can drill the bolt and use a castle nut and cotter key for piece of mind. I loctite mine with self locking nuts.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
TJ

Use the Magnum axle designed for the 37-40 cars/pickups and it will fit your stock wishbone. Use the Chassis Engineering bolt on steering arms. The bolt passes all the way through the arm and into the spindle on the brake side. If you use a nylock nut you will never have a problem. I've used this system on four cars and never had a problem. I'm not big on Monoleaf springs as I had a friend who had one break on a tour. That could have been a rare instance, but it cured me from wanting to use one.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
JonC

As usual this site has provided me with a lot of information and options, thanks for all the replies. I am not sure what I will do it most likely depends on th eerear axle as I will be installing a AV8 quickchange under the bed and see what the ride hieght is when that is done. In any case i will have a lot of options thanks to you guys. Jon
Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Joe AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Use the Magnum axle designed for the 37-40 cars/pickups and it will fit your stock wishbone. Use the Chassis Engineering bolt on steering arms. The bolt passes all the way through the arm and into the spindle on the brake side. If you use a nylock nut you will never have a problem. I've used this system on four cars and never had a problem. I'm not big on Monoleaf springs as I had a friend who had one break on a tour. That could have been a rare instance, but it cured me from wanting to use one.
Good advice.....but good luck with the Magnum axle. I've had one on order since the first of May. No one I know of has them in stock, and it's still in line to be produced. Been kind of frustrating.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
TJ

Joe, try these places for the axle; American Pastimes in Sacramento 916-944-6600, Sacramento Vintage Ford 916-853-2244 and Fairlane Speed and Chrome 360-835-1932 (Washington).
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Joe AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Joe, try these places for the axle; American Pastimes in Sacramento 916-944-6600, Sacramento Vintage Ford 916-853-2244 and Fairlane Speed and Chrome 360-835-1932 (Washington).
Thanks TJ, I'll check them out........
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
296 V8
BANNED

To keep from angering the stockers here I don’t advertise I drop axles.
But
Here's what 37 to 41 looks like
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
dfoster

19Fordy, did you install a shock mount kit? If so, which kit did you use?

New to the forum.
dfoster is offline   Reply With Quote