Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #301
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

cmbrucew, it has been 80 degrees a week ago, this morning it was 29 and finished this evening at about 58. It is just Spring time in the Ohio Valley, yes we do have great winding roads in all three states where we live. I do plan on getting to drive the car a lot this year now that the Columbia is working, new tires and seems that all is well. ( keep fingers crossed ) thanks and stay safe, Bruce

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 04-24-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #302
copperpenny

Bruce, check with Merv Atkins in California about a revulcanized fromt motor mount. He may be able to have yours done. Maybe Dennis Carpenter might help. Merv's phone is 909 980 1332. Good luck.
copperpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #303
Bruce in southern OH

Copperpenny, thank you for phone number. I would have to find a bad set of 40 thru 48 mounts. You know that some where in a dark garage, out building or attic is a set of these in good condition. Also the early 36/37 Lincolns used the standard Ford "biscuit" type mounts and the cross member was like a Ford. Don and I both looked at modern mounts that would/could be interchanged or modified to work. If I had more time to search out a modern set I would have, most mounts we found that looked promising were the rear transmission mounts. I elected to refurbish these so I did not have a lot of down time. I have told others that as soon as I fixed mine several sets would become available, still waiting on that. Thanks again and stay safe, Bruce
Old 05-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #304
Bruce in southern OH

Took the 39 LZ out for first time on I-64 for 15 Miles of continuous travel on Highway, runs like a champ. 65 MPH was comfortable, need a stiffer set of shocks, on bridge expansion joints and bumps I get a little "dribble" effect from front tires. Also when I start engine it has about 40 PSI oil pressure, warmed up about 20 PSI, coming off the exit ramp to a stop showed little 5 PSI. Start driving, back up to 20 PSI. Cooled down at Cruise In and started home 40 PSI and 20 as I drove. My 41 pickup truck is the same way on hot days!!!! Thanks, and drive safe, BJ
Old 05-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #305
cmbrucew

Bruce
What tires do you have on the LZ? What air pressure? If your shocks are adjustable try that.
Wish you a whole summer of enjoyment with the car.
Bruce
Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #306
Bruce in southern OH

New 7:00 X 16 stock bias Lester tires, I will check pressure, I think I have 30 to 35lbs. I will look at shocks but I refilled with Castro oil . They are old stock ones but still had resistance and moved!!! That is the problem, I have had this happen on the little light 34 and shocks were problem, need to find good ones or go to a modern shock for safety and handling. Going for a 100 mile trip today at 4:00 PM EST and it will be 90 degrees out, as long as I am moving things will be good, checking all fluids now and hope for the best.

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 05-30-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add text
Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #307
cmbrucew

Bruce
How many ply are those bias tires? 700X16 may be 6 ply which will ride stiff.
Have a fun trip.
Bruce
Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #308
Vic Piano

Bruce, sounds like you are having fun with the LZ. My LZ had been converted to tube shocks up front and I replaced them with new tube shocks while Bill Wzorek rebuilt the OEM rear shocks. I run BF Goodrich (Coker) bias ply (6 ply) 700x16 WWW on the LZ at 32psi, the ride is very smooth and she tracks well. Mike and I drove her down to Sarasota two weeks ago in 90+ degree temps. She ran well, didn't overheat or push much oil. Nothing like going topless in a Zephyr.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #309
Bruce in southern OH

Vic, I am going to remove my Steel Fan from motor and purchase a "pull through" type electric fan. I was coming home several days ago in the day time and got caught on a local bridge that is now under construction/repair and traffic lights now installed. ( one lane ) I had to wait for about 15 min. while moving up slowly for the light to let traffic go both ways. The car has a temp. gauge installed in the drivers side head. ( 40 cast iron ) The temp on the head read about 220 before I got to clean air/ moving again. Driving it dropped to 190 quickly and on to the house about 180. ( outside air temp 90 ) But if I stop for any amount of time it will heat quickly. I had radiator cleaned/tested, new rebuild pumps by "skip" water is clear. Last night driving home at 9:30PM cool air ran at 160 at about 60 MPH. Do not know if it is just the place that temp is being taken, I am going to add a temp expansion tank to car for the water, always looses water after I stop. ( turn off engine and park ) Your thoughts??????
Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #310
Vic Piano

Bruce, I run my LZ with 'Skips' water pumps and coil, with no thermostats, in the usual 80+ degree temps here in central Florida, where the duration of the 'red' traffic lights is sooo long, you can almost feel your metabolism changing (due to aging) while you wait for the light to change... I've seen the temp gauge climb up to the 220 range as well, and, just like you said, it drops back to the 160 to 180 degree range almost as soon as the car starts moving. One thing I haven't experienced with the LZ is a loss of coolant after shut down. I run just water with a rust inhibitor additive in the cooling system.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #311
Bruce in southern OH

I have/had over filled the radiator to top, (50/50 anti-freeze up north ) I will leave at 4" lower in radiator so it can expand when stopped and see how that works. The 39 does not have a shroud to direct he air, the fan is just beating air around in the engine compartment. I have my 40 Ford with an electric fan on it and removed the old steel fan and it really changed the cooling of car. 40 also does/did not have a shroud. Told that a product "water wetter" would also improve temp. problem, never used, thanks and will let you know how 12 volt pull through fan preforms in a couple of days/weeks, thank you, BJ

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 05-31-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #312
Vic Piano

I'm looking forward to seeing how the electric fan works to improve cooling on your LZ. My '39 Ford CS does not have a shroud on the radiator. I have 'Skip' built water pumps on it, and also run just water with a rust inhibitor additive and no thermostats. the '39 CS will cruise at 60-65 mph all day long in 80+ temps and never gets above 185 degrees. However, it does exhibit the same characteristics as the '39 LZ when stopped as traffic lights.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #313
Bruce in southern OH

I am still driving the 39 with no problems, Great Old Cars !!!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #314
slowforty

If you put on an expansion tank make it a big one. I use a three liter pop bottle. And now I just found a five quart bottle that i am going to use.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #315
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how the electric fan works to improve cooling on your LZ. My '39 Ford CS does not have a shroud on the radiator. I have 'Skip' built water pumps on it, and also run just water with a rust inhibitor additive and no thermostats. the '39 CS will cruise at 60-65 mph all day long in 80+ temps and never gets above 185 degrees. However, it does exhibit the same characteristics as the '39 LZ when stopped as traffic lights.
Vic, Are you running a pressure cap? You know the Zephyr has a very tall radiator neck so it makes it hard to fit a pressure cap. what I did was install one of Skips 4 lb pressure valves on the overflow tube.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote