Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Grandpas38

Default Structural Adhesives Question

For any body that has used them other than following the directions are thre any tricks or tips I need to know. I will using the 3M 08101 Tube Kit
on my head light buckets in a few small areas. i don't want to weld it
Because I am not that good at welding something that thin.
Grandpas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Tanner SC

Default Re: Structural Adhesives Question

My experience with structural adhesives was a long time ago but some generalities should still be applicable. CLEANLINESS AND SOUND SURFACES WERE ESSENTIAL.

3M claimed foam tape adhesives were used on large truck bodies and were supposedly successful. We used this stuff internally in some hospital beds --particularly to join dissimilar materials. Both these applications had vibration environments.

You might ask technical questions about Permatex/Loctite products, they were helpful in our product manufacturing about 20 years ago.
Tanner SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
skip
Banned

Grandpas38 asks: "I will using the 3M 08101 Tube Kit on my head light buckets in a few small areas"

Courious, who, what, where, when, why, how? The purpose is what? To attach the headlite bucket to a fender? Or a mounting of some sort? Why? Mount rusted away?
I guess I'm asking, "Is this to 3-M product used to fill in a rust hole?
I use a lot of 3-M 5200 slow set.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 05-09-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Address post to whole group.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Grandpas38

First Thank You everyone for all the replies every reply is appreciated.

Skip to answer your question. What I am attempting or trying to attempt
is to patch from the inside of the bucket some small holes that I have gone thru the metal once I started wire wheeling and striping the paint off of the piece. There will be no mounting of brackets or anything similar or other forces where I plan to use the adhesive. It is part of the main body of the headlight bucket just cosmetic. My plan was to cut out the effected thin area which is a 3/4 of an inch square then place a square patch 1/2" larger all around over the area using the adhesive and then fill with body filler on the outside. I do not want to weld the patch in at all. Would a fiberglass mat patch work better?
I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original post for any confusion I may have caused.
Grandpas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
36tbird

You might want to look at POR15 for what you are doing. Besides the paint, they offer tubes of the stuff that is thicker and you can fill in pin holes and stuff like that by putting tape over the outside and applying it from inside. Do not get the surfaces clean to bare metal because the POR15 needs the rust to encapsulate and cling to. Be sure to wear gloves and have good ventilation because that stuff is nasty.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
skip
Banned

Just to fill as amll hole. Tape the outside, pour from the inside some of that POR 15, or some epoxy 2 part putty fill or Hobby Land epoxy and glass cloth lay-up from the inside. Very thin and sandable, set up for painting. Sounds good to me. Sand fill and finish from the outside. No tin needed?

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
brownV12

Try fiberglass and matting from the inside as well.
brownV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
jerry grayson

PC7 would be much better for this fix. Clean the area on the inside and coat the inside with the epoxy and after it hardens dress the outside and paint. No need to cut any metal out.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Frank The Plumber

Your best bet is to metal finish this or replace the bucket, is this for a 38 truck? If you don't know how to weld up a patch for this be patient and ask around at a show or a swap or just a fellow car guy, Welding is the most essential skill, you're gonna need more of it done, might as well make a friend who can do it and trade a skill with him. If you were in the area Id tell you to drop it buy and take care of it for you. I think I have a spare truck bucket 38.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Gary in Mozarks

If you can;t find a replacement bucket, and you can't weld or braize it, I would clean it up good and ust use tiger hair body filler on the inside and regular body filler on the outside, but I agree with Frank, a replacement shouldn't be to hard to find or expensive. I may even have one too.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote