Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2023, 04:08 AM   #41
ronn

Default Re: The knock off carbs on Ebay

Chrysler is on the brink of extinction............

mini van anyone?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #42
artron9

Carbs,pumps,dizzys! 2 words---Charlie Schwendler NY! Nothing more to say!
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:33 AM   #43
GB SISSON

Of course I DO buy some Chinese stuff, but I gotta say that this is a great thread and if one was to give it a theme song, I would vote for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:10 AM   #44
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Of course I DO buy some Chinese stuff, but I gotta say that this is a great thread and if one was to give it a theme song, I would vote for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0

Sometimes, you simply have no choice. Electronics are a major example. Except for my computer, monitor and cell phone, I have no desire for any modern stuff anymore. Even my fridge and stove are genuine 1942 GE, still working great, which just seems crazy compared to todays junk which has a lifespan of 5-10 years on average.

I have a beater '03 Ranger for winter driving, but the next newest vehicle I own is 1970 (F350 dually), then 1969, 1965, 1955 and finally 1937. I have no desire to own anything newer. Unless they come up with a time machine, then I would buy one of those.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 03:17 AM   #45
ronn

Even my fridge and stove are genuine 1942 GE, still working great, which just seems crazy compared to todays junk which has a

electricity must be cheap in OH.
if I ran that here in NJ- Ild have to take a 2nd job.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:36 AM   #46
pistonbroke

Gary, I'm sad that we lived so close and never met. It seems that you and I could spend forever in your shop messin with old iron and listening to good music. I have never forgotten that video those boy did in your old one ton. I'm retiring/moving to north east Mo. on Wednesday but when I come back to visit my friends on Lopez and up in Blain I will try to get in touch , Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:53 AM   #47
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Even my fridge and stove are genuine 1942 GE, still working great, which just seems crazy compared to todays junk which has a

electricity must be cheap in OH.
if I ran that here in NJ- Ild have to take a 2nd job.

I'm not sure why you think that. A modern electric stove is 0% more efficient than my 81 year old stove. In fact, with all the electronics in them, they use more electric. My stove has mechanical switches and no electronics that end up using more electric. An element works on resistance, and that does not change one bit with a newer element. My fridge is only slightly less efficient. It probably costs me $2 more a month...at most. So how long would it take me to pay off a new stove? It'll be dead and gone before that happens. The gov't telling people how much electric they save with buying new stuff is a flat out lie.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:02 AM   #48
pistonbroke

CJshaker, You hit the nail on the head. To many folks believe the government would never lie to us when in fact there is more lies than truth being told about green energy . If you look at combustion verses electric cars the carbon footprint is more then double with the electric. New appliances are another. The bottom of the line new fridg may be 2 to 3% more efficient but when you add in the ice maker , filtered water, night light and environmental impact of disposing you existing unit you FAR exceed your saving and impact on the environment. And after that the new one only lasted for ten years and you have even more impact. Tim (sorry all ,I will get off my soap box and go back to the side line)
Old 04-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #49
Ol' Ron

My GE refrigerate is over 30 years old and waz used when I bought it. Still working great. Not sure if we still make them, I think all GE appliances are made in Mexico.
Gramps
PS If you want to blame somebody, you can blame your self, ya get what you vote for??
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #50
pistonbroke

I second Gramps. You get what you vote for.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #51
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Gary, I'm sad that we lived so close and never met. It seems that you and I could spend forever in your shop messin with old iron and listening to good music. I have never forgotten that video those boy did in your old one ton. I'm retiring/moving to north east Mo. on Wednesday but when I come back to visit my friends on Lopez and up in Blain I will try to get in touch , Tim
Thank you Tim, You are welcome any time! I love it when 'Barners find there way here. Always a highlight for me. As far as I know I am the only one on this 58 square miles that runs a flathead V8, or give's a hoot about them. Have a good trip back to your new home, and let us all know that you got there safe.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:25 AM   #52
ronn

it comes down to whatever you want to believe.........

sorry but my model A doesnt get the gas mileage of my sons Nissan versa........

Do old refrigerators use a lot of electricity?

• Old Fridge vs. New Fridge Energy Savings In the last 20 years, refrigerators have become ALOT more efficient. Based on data from the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, a new typical refrigerator uses only 25% as much electricity as one sold in the 1970’s despite new features such as defrost and ice-making.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #53
Ol' Ron

Guess I have to sell my frig??
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #54
ronn

no ol ron, just pay the higher electric bill.

Hey I know the quality is often not there today in products, but the technology has improved some on most everything.
That is why new houses dont have rags in the walls for insulation. they just have buckling vinyl siding that isnt installed properly.
Old 04-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #55
kirkf

Now, putting all the deeper implications of the fact we've moved our entire technology and manufacturing base off shore.

Has anyone bought one of these carbs and had a look at them?

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:21 PM   #56
KJ714

Patents expired long ago. The designs could've very well been purchased by the Chinese manufacturers. Most of your car parts today are manufactured in China or India due to the many barriers the US has put in place for domestic manufacturing. I understand where you're coming from but quite often the facts don't support the "China steals everything" argument. The real truth is US manufacturers gave most of it away.
Just for quick bit of info, I work in manufacturing, & a lot of our low tech customers, which these carburetors are, in a wide range of industries happily ran overseas to get their stuff made a lot cheaper & increase their profit margins. Fortunately there's still plenty of high precision, high tech, quick turn around demand for our stuff and we're still cranking it out. As much as I hate to say it, the "Buy American" argument was really pretty much ended by the very American companies it was intended to benefit. We used to make stuff for Moog, all gone to India now. We used to make stuff for Tenneco Automotive, all gone to India & China.
KJ714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:41 PM   #57
tubman

Finally, a voice of reason.

Why does every thread that is looking for information on an imported product lead to many posts of "China Bashing"? Sure, most of the stuff they send over is crap, but just let us know (if you have a real experience with it), and move on. Sometimes, they make good stuff. For example, I purchased a set of center-dump stainless steel flathead headers listed on eBay for $89.95. The headers themselves were perfect; the only problem is that they came with metric bolts. Once I figured it out, I purchased 6 US spec bolts and all was well. Why the metric hardware? I'll bet it is the result of some middle management American flunky convincing his boss that they could save $.04 sourcing the bolts from a different supplier.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #58
hotrodcbx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
no ol ron, just pay the higher electric bill.

Hey I know the quality is often not there today in products, but the technology has improved some on most everything.
That is why new houses dont have rags in the walls for insulation. they just have buckling vinyl siding that isnt installed properly.
My 1872 farm house has walls filled with sawdust, probably from the from milling of the 2 x 6 (actual size) studs used in this "balloon" framed house. They run from the foundation to the peak of the roof. I have added 1" of high density foam board to the outside and re-installed the board and batton siding.
For a 3700 sq. ft. house it heats quite economically.
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote