Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #21
mshmodela

Default Re: Who's Buying An"A"?

If demand for model A's drops, those who wish to buy or buy more of them will enjoy the market... If the demand increases, those who own will benefit... The cars are not like stock shares... They will always have value...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoolBus View Post
There's a good Model A frame and some other bits I may pick up for cheap. The pipe dream is to find a frame, or rolling chassis without a body to start building a speedster.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I would love to have a Speedster to play with but I have no room for it. I imagine if a great deal fell in my lap I would have to find storage... somewhere.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #23
LukeCutler

My Dad and I are building my first A now, a 28 AA flatbed, we are not new to classic cars, but this is the first A we have had, and although I will probably not be affording another A any time soon, I'm pretty sure my Dad is interested in getting one now.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #24
Marcus

Keeping the '29 CCPU and selling the '31 Slantwindow (160B) because I keep buying other toys and am now completely out of space! Don't see the future without an "A" but do envision adding a "T" eventually......one step at a time.....
Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
fingers

One of my best Model A buddys passed away last October. He had 5 model A's and a Model T. He had asked me to sell them for his widow after he was gone. I have not done much advertising and it looks like all these cars will be sold before summer is over. So folks are still buying.
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #26
Dave in MN

I plan to purchase a 1931 Slant Window Town Sedan in the next 5 years.
I may sell my restored 1928 CC Pickup.

Keeping the Phaeton...to much fun!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-07-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #27
TerryH

Matt---Welcome to the site! As a very happy Town Sedan owner for almost 10 years, I can tell you they are a great Model A to own. Unless you are bent on restoring one, I would should spend the time and look for a very nice clean one that has good wood in it. As for me, this is my second and last Model A......no room for another car!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #28
larrys40

I don't mean to hijack the thread but we have to have folks usually younger than us to sell them to...... fortunately we have some younger blood in the St. Louis area.....and a number of them.... they are all awesome guys.... one a still college student drove his to school and work till he tore it down for some mechanical rebuild. Another guy raced motorcycles and he loves the A.. it was his dads.

I was fortunate enough to have a mentor and friend Terry Oberer school me and we have to keep the "A"'s and the spirit alive... It's incumbent on each one of us.

I think the two national clubs and certainly locals should have free membership for the first year for anyone under 25..... Just a thought.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sonny, Ed is trying to sell me Larry's and won't stop bothering me, so yes I might be buying one
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #30
StoolBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Yes, I would love to have a Speedster to play with but I have no room for it. I imagine if a great deal fell in my lap I would have to find storage... somewhere.

Storage is my issue as well. With the 31' already taking up one garage bay, I'd have to talk my wife out of her spot in the garage, which will probably not happen.
StoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #31
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Sonny, Ed is trying to sell me Larry's and won't stop bothering me, so yes I might be buying one
Great! as long as I get my 50K out of it... if he can dream so can I!
I still have work to do on the town sedan anyway...
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #32
Bill Cal.

I have and drive a 29 unrestored coupe for the last 49 years and have been looking for the right steel back victoria driver for the last 10 in the western part of the U.S.with money in hand. Hope I find one soon so I can hit the road and enjoy it.
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #33
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Doesn't mean a thing, what I think I have bought in my dreams every night is always gone when I wake up the next morning.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post

I think the two national clubs and certainly locals should have free membership for the first year for anyone under 25..... Just a thought.
Larry Shepard
Ya know, that REALLY ain't a bad idea. It would pay longer term dividends than parking some money in a CD at what, 6 tenths of one percent? I would see that growing the two national clubs better than about anything else going today.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #35
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

With the previous generation dying off and now my own post WW2 boomer crowd evaporating in increasing numbers, plenty of Model A Ford cars are drifting onto the market in assorted ways. After a 35-year hiatus, I finally purchased a late 31' Ford tudor last fall for six-grand, which was probably too much, from a New Jersey guy's widow. Two months before, when money was short, a couple of fantastic deals passed by that were in the $7,000 range. Both of those were cars were being sold by family survivors who valued hard cash much more than those Model A Fords. They were excellent older restored vehicles with one being an early 1928 Tudor sedan and the other a super nice 1931 Pickup truck.

The 31' Ford I purchased has a totally rebuilt drive train. The body on the thing would probably be okay except for ancient amateur restoration work that needs to be undone and fixed right. At this point, I have neither ambition or interest in dealing with any type of "restoration" work on a bread n' butter Tudor. Have been actually thinking of lifting the body off this car and selling it to a rat rod guy for a couple of grand. Would keep the basic chassis, fenders, boards, hood, gas tank, radiator, etc. etc. and find a better condition, more interesting body type. There must be a nice Model A body lurking in a local dry safe barn here in northeast PA.. Tractor Supply sells tall "farm jacks" for $59.99 each. The veteran master mechanic neighbor already has a lift rig designed for body removal. We shall see.

Meanwhile, the "Fun Fund" has been building again and now the wife says that she's paying me back $5,000.00 loaned a few weeks ago. Will soon be flush again with cash so to run amok and buy another four wheel toy. Sure would like a 31' slant windshield town sedan A Model Ford. An apparently good solid running 31' Victoria not too far from here over in New Jersey just sold on eBay for about $7,900.

If needed, the trusty old W123 300D Mercedes Benz can be parked outside so to clear another bay in the garage. Gee . . . it sure is great to be a seven decade old kid.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 04-04-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #36
1931 flamingo

Money talks ! ! ! Though not anxious to sell it's a possibility.

I've had lots of fun and looking forward to the new show season coming up, but have the "itch" for something else. V8 this time.
And yes, there seems to be an abundance of cars for sale this spring (some are the same as last spring), the latest Hemmings is about 1/3 thicker than last month's.
Enjoy the upcoming show season.
About 4" of fresh snow on the ground here.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #37
HalcyonDays

Would like to buy older restoration A400 or 68C...so I guess I am still in the market.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #38
Jeff/Illinois

Nicely restored '30 Coupe just sold today at auction in Hamilton, Illinois. Sullivan Auctions.

Plenty of bidders. Bidding got hot and heavy, sold for $18,000. Several nice little Model T's sold too, '26 Coupe, '27 Touring car, '25 pickup, several others....... they brought what I thought was good money don't know T's all that well BUT there was sure plenty of interest in the cars.

In answer to original thread, I'm not buying simply because I am out of room. Not due to lack of interest.

Note on future of hobby. What I've been seeing, we don't need to worry much about it is still pretty strong and healthy and isn't going away any time soon. Have fun with the cars and forget it.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #39
Coupster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
Would like to buy older restoration A400 or 68C...so I guess I am still in the market.
There is A-400 on the MAFCA website right now!

Coupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #40
Curly

Last summer I was offered $10,000 more than I paid for my truck. I have no desire at all to sell mine ever. I love the people I have met in this hobby as much as I do my Model A.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote