Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default New 31 Victoria

Just picked up a 31 Victoria today. Is the drivers seat adjustable Moving the handle in front nothing Was going to remove seat to check it out & fix Well three nut on the drivers side got them off, the other side 2 nut & a rivet ??? Why / or what am I missing. I see a broken Small broken spring. Am I going to have to remove the rivet ?
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Bill Cilker

Default Re: New 31 Victoria

Lefthander1930
Here is part of an article from the Victoria Bustle on the removal and installation of the sliding drivers seat.

Late seat removal
The seat can be slid forward and off of the two slide rails once the positioning mechanism is disconnected. The first order of business is to unhook a large spring underneath the back of the seat. The spring is about 3/4" in diameter and about 6" long. One end is hooked to a metal tab attached to the bottom of the seat at the back. The other end is attached to an "L" bracket that is part of the positioning mechanism and is bolted to the floor of the car. Reach under the seat from the back and unhook the spring from the tab that is attached to the seat. Lay the spring on the floor with the other end still attached. The next step is to unscrew two 7/16" hex nuts that attach the positioning mechanism to the front bottom of the seat. There are two studs that stick down through the bottom front edge of the seat frame and go through two holes in the positioning mechanism. Reach under the front of the seat and remove the two hex nuts and allow the positioning mechanism to rest on the floor directly below the seat. It would appear at this point it was Henry's design that the eat could be slid forward and off the slide rails, and it would be out. This did not happen in my car. When the seat was slid forward the leg of the "L" bracket sticking up in a vertical position contacted the inside edge of the wooden seat frame. It is possible that an original seat frame bottom has a notch cut away so as to clear the "L" bracket. In any case mine would not clear. All was not lost however. The left side slide rail is bolted to the car floor by three 1/2" hex lag bolts. I backed each one off a 1/4" and was able to lift the left side of the seat up enough to allow the seat wood frame to clear the "L" bracket. With that I slid the seat forward and out of the car.

Late seat installation
Reinstalling the seat is pretty much the reverse order of removing it, however, there are a couple of things you have to do first. Make sure the "L" bracket is bolted to the floor first. Place any rug segments in place that will be locked there once the seat is installed. Next slide the positioning mechanism through the square cut-out in the vertical portion of the "L" bracket. You will have to turn it sideways to get it through the square hole. Once through the square hole align the positioning mechanism such that the saw tooth engages the bottom of the square hole. Lay the positioning mechanism down on the floor lined up between the slide rails. The chrome adjusting handle will be on the right side of the mechanism. Attach the spring to the hole in the edge of the vertical end of the "L" bracket and lay it on the floor with the other end pointing toward the rear. Back off the three 1/2" hex lag bolts that attach the left side slide rail to the floor of the car about 1/4". Set the seat in front of the slide rails and start each seat rail onto the floor rails. Slide the seat back until the wood frame contacts the vertical portion of the "L" bracket. Lift the left side of the seat up and push the seat back until it clears the "L" bracket. Tighten down the three lag bolts. Reach under the back of the seat and connect the spring to the metal tab attached to the seat frame. Reach under the front of the seat and install the positioning mechanism onto the two studs and install the two 7/16" hex nuts. A little bit of grease on the slide rails, and you are done.

MAFCA just released a book on the Victoria body style. I would also suggest that you join the International Model A Ford Victoria Association. I am the President.
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Lefthander1930

Bill, thank you for the reply, Will join tomorrow Again thank for the info.

Lefthander/Roseville ca
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
ronn

Congrats on your purchase! have fun.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote