Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
REByar

Default New Rust debris in fuel lines

I have a 1928 Tudor. It has spent the past 11 weeks at the mechanics getting an emergency brake, all four wheel breaks, new exhaust system and replacing a 1930's steering wheel with a 1929. before I took it to the shop I never had a debris in the fuel line problems. Since picking it up I have had this problem. It will start fine and run fine until I go above 30mph it starts to act like it is running out of gas. It will sputter down for about 20 seconds and then pick back up for about 30 seconds and then run fine for about 20 seconds and then repeat the process until I make it back home. I cleaned the two filters that are in the fuel line, the filter coming off the cast iron sediment bowl and the filer in the Zenith carb. I went to the gas station, able to get there while keeping below 35mph. But when I left I tried it again. I got it up to 40mph and it started again. I limped it home and opened up the hood. Oil had leaked out the rear two spark plugs and blown all over the rear part of the engine and the fire wall. What happened? Like I sad before taking it to the shop I never had this problem. I am thinking it is debris in the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel shut off valve and then up to the sediment bowl. What can I do? And why did oil leak out of the two spark plugs.

Any thoughts and solutions would be greatly appreciated.

REByar
REByar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
REByar

Default Re: New Rust debris in fuel lines

xxxxxx
REByar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
markyb

I've been fighting some very fine sediment that gets past the sediment bowl AND the screen in the carb inlet. It has been messing up the needle valve at the float in the carb. My problem has been excees fuel and fouling plugs. Once the plugs were fouled the car was bucking and stalling, then wouldn't start.

I don't get the oil from the plugs deal, is it coming from the joint where the plugs meet the head?
markyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Dtolson

I had the same issue with the clogged fuel line last week. I started at the carb and worked backwards to the fuel tank. I found the clog was in the shut off valve. I drained the tank, cleaned the valve and then everything in line back to the carb and re-installed. I had great fuel flow again and it ran fine. I am getting a gas tank screen this week.
Dtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Clem Clement

E10 at work loosening old rust in your tank
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
newshirt

Are you certain your gas cap is venting? Was it replaced during the 11-week repair?

I saw these exact symptoms on a tour this summer. Stalling, loss of power, backfiring, and the feeling that the engine was starved for gas. The owner had installed a new cap that didn't vent. Replaced the cap and all was well!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Racur96

I replaced the fuel shutoff valve in my 29 pickup as it kept clogging. With fine rust and sealer? I put a fitting it the tank for 5/16 line then to a fuel filter right after that, then from filter to a in line shutoff valve then from it to the metal line. I have 5/16 rubber line in between all the cutoffs filters etc. I couldn't drive more than 5 miles before without it shutting Down the truck. So far I'm on my 4th filter and I haven't seen a spec in it yet. Once I'm sure it clean ill switch back to the original setup.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Any chance the radiator and gas caps got switched?

People have been known to do that as a dirty trick.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote