Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
ChadCurrent

Default 56 tbird bellcrank assembly

Before I go try buying a whole new setup I was wondering if anyone had a bellcrank assembly for a manual transmission 1956 Thunderbird for sale?
I need the bar part that attaches to the firewall and whatever else I can use to attach it to a more modern carburetor.
ChadCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 tbird bellcrank assembly

Try here - https://www.npdlink.com/1955-1957-th...-pedal-linkage

SEARCH 1955-57 BIRD ACCEL LINKAGE and you will come across more sources.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
miker98038

Default Re: 56 tbird bellcrank assembly

That's a good link Kultulz. It's the first I realized they were reproducing the spring loaded link for the o/d. I've got one of those in the parts box from when I had the T-86 o/d in the car (original). But there's a note that it's for the FM and overdrive. Was that also used for the kick down linkage/spring loaded slider affair? I don't remember, my last Fordo was 1968.

Nobody even mentions that when talking about the kickdown adjustment on the switch.

Thanks.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Gene F

Ok Kultulz, tell me how this part works.....

https://www.npdlink.com/product/rod-.../140663/220675
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:25 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post

Ok Kultulz, tell me how this part works.....

https://www.npdlink.com/product/rod-.../140663/220675
That is for a 55/56 BIRD F/M. I am not sure exactly how it works. You would need the TRANS MANUAL for exact adjustment.

ILL Below -

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-24-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: AS USUAL ...
Old 03-24-2021, 02:35 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 56 tbird bellcrank assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

But there's a note that it's for the FM and overdrive. Was that also used for the kick down linkage/spring loaded slider affair? I don't remember, my last Fordo was 1968.

Nobody even mentions that when talking about the kickdown adjustment on the switch.

Thanks.
I overlooked this part of your post. Senile.

Does the last post help? Sorry ...

NDP could do a little better job of describing what they have to offer IMO.

One would need the FORD-O-MATIC MANUAL for the AT ADJ and if same is used on OD, there is another separate manual.

55/56 BIRD, right?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

One would need the FORD-O-MATIC MANUAL for the AT ADJ and if same is used on OD, there is another separate manual.

55/56 BIRD, right?
OK ... I stand corrected ... again ... There are THROTTLE LINKAGE ADJ procedures in the SHOP MANUAL.

1957 FORD SEP 56 PRINT - CHAPTER 2 - Fuel System - PG 2-88 and 2-89

The linkage part described above is catalogued 1955-56 BIRD only.

I have a 1955 SHOP MANUAL and will check for adjustments or if anyone else here has one.

The ADJ PROCEDURE(s) shown in the SHOP MANUAL must be for checking the factory setup specs and the procedure in the TRANS MANUAL (using pressure gauge) must be after a major repair/rebuild.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Smile Re: 56 tbird bellcrank assembly

Quote:
... adjust your idle screw so that your car idles smoothly or according to your owner's manual specifications, whichever you prefer. Make sure, however, your idle is not set too high. Too fast an idle can damage the center support inside your transmission. Many a Thunderbird's center transmission support has been cracked by a high idle. When the car is put in reverse, the inevitable "slam" into gear creates enough force to crack the metal support. Over time, this support will separate and eventually cause transmission failure.

Don't forget to remove your 1/4" dowel or 1/4" drill bit when you have completed your adjustments.

Source: CTCC Tech-Tip Manual 1993-1997
I did not know this. I knew FORD had this type of failure with the later FX-MX but they said that was caused mainly from the driver shifting into DR while the car was rolling backwards,

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
miker98038

Kultulz, regarding my post, and this is from memory not from looking it up in the manual.

The o/d throttle linkage was set to reach WOT at the carb as the throttle pedal contacted but did not actuate the kick down switch. More pressure (movement) on the throttle pedal would actuate the kick down switch, starting that sequence. At that point the spring loaded rod allowed the movement past WOT without bending or "springing" the linkage or over stressing the carb stop. Having adjusted and used those, that's as I remember it.

Without that spring loaded link you couldn't get WOT without kicking the o/d out.

On the FOM, did something of that nature play out with the kickdown rod assembly? Part of the reason for the second spring and sliding link?

This is just for my general sum of knowledge.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:05 AM   #10
KULTULZ

!!! BLAST FROM THE PAST !!!

This in reference to POST #8 above -

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
Thanks for all the input, I think I have found the trouble. I called Gene at Flatomatic trans in Oregon...He is an old hand with these Ford transmissions.

He said it was a common problem on the small case Fordomatic to slip in reverse and low after the trans case got cracked for any number of reasons. I did the oil pressure tests and it is all normal.

Gene indicated that the trans was dumping fluid in the rear servo supply down stream of the test port and there isn't any other test ports to isolate the problems. He said there is most likely a crack in the center support. Now I will need to find a small case air cooled Transmission case to put all my new guts in.

Can't beat older guys when it comes to practical knowledge!

Any of you good Ford guys have transmission case for me?

Again, thanks for all the help on this site...
SOURCE - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67217

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-27-2021, 05:09 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 56 tbird bellcrank assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

Kultulz, regarding my post, and this is from memory not from looking it up in the manual.

The o/d throttle linkage was set to reach WOT at the carb as the throttle pedal contacted but did not actuate the kick down switch. More pressure (movement) on the throttle pedal would actuate the kick down switch, starting that sequence. At that point the spring loaded rod allowed the movement past WOT without bending or "springing" the linkage or over stressing the carb stop. Having adjusted and used those, that's as I remember it.

Without that spring loaded link you couldn't get WOT without kicking the o/d out.

On the FOM, did something of that nature play out with the kickdown rod assembly? Part of the reason for the second spring and sliding link?

This is just for my general sum of knowledge.
I am not 100% certain as FORD-MERC-BIRD info is scattered (even in their repair manuals). Let me do some more searching and I will get back.

THANX for the OD INFO.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-28-2021, 12:23 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Here is a single page from the AT SHOP MANUAL (56-57) showing the linkage piece on a 56 BIRD FM I assume. I don't have the following page -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - SHOP MANUAL.jpg (54.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TRANS - SHOP MANUAL_2.JPG (25.9 KB, 7 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -