Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
iverson

Default New member 1st post Pop out switch question

My first post trying to figure out this forum! I have been working on my uncles unrestored 28 touring got most every thing working we took it for a few rides just when I thought it was it reliable no start! I traced down to the switch I tested with ohm meter open between wire on top and contact in dist. My question is how to take switch out of dash cover and take apart I assume that is we're the trouble is, it was I think intermittent problem for a while I can't figure out how to ad pictures
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
goodoldvic

Default Re: New member 1st post Pop out switch question

Search the forum for the switch disassembly. First disconnect your battery. Remove the head nut on #8 stud. Remove the screw and lock nut from the pass. side on the head, this holds the Distributor from coming out. Pull the dist up out of the head and wiggle the cable lug off the stud and unscrew the dist from the cable it only should be in like three turns or so. Remove the clamp that holds the speedo cable to the firewall and remove the four screws that hold the dash panel to the gas tank. Carefully pull the dash out while pushing on the speedo cable from where it enters the tunnel under the tank. When you have enough room, disconnect the wire that is connected to the switch head. There should be three small screws that secure the switch head to the dash, loosen them and rotate the switch head and free it from the dash. Pull your switch head with cable from the tunnel. You might have to remove the amp meter connections to get enough room to remove the switch. I've never taken a switch apart but I know the procedure is on this very informative sight. Try shopping for some model a repair books as they are handy to have.Hope this helps and good luck. 78 at the jersey shore and I've been out catching some wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2776.jpg (51.8 KB, 31 views)
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Welcome, and do you know the exact test for an original popout?
In the off position (pushed in) the points contact on the end of the cable is GROUNDED.
In the on position (popped out), the ground is removed and the brass contact is connected to the terminal on the side of the switch.

When I do the checks I also like to push the spring loaded contact in and out to make sure it doesn't touch ground at any time when the switch is on. I also flex the cable around in case the wire has lost insulation and grounds intermittently.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
mot

IF you have to remove the head bolt to remove the cable make sure you drain the water from the radiator and block
IT WILL LEAK PAST THE HEAD BOLT
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
frank55a

Attached is the Ford engineering drawing for the 28-30 Electrolock popout switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-11575-C 001 28-29-30 popout.jpg (75.6 KB, 296 views)
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
iverson

Thanks! I grew up around model A's but none had the pop out switch I guess they didn't hold up very good. I want to keep this car original as much as possible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (83.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
frank55a

That is an Electrolock popout switch. The later 30/31s used a different design popout. I have always (since 63) used a popout switch on all my As and never had a problem. However, you must clean them and replace the wire from the switch to the distributor. A little TLC helps and sometimes you may need to work it a little bit.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Just be sure to NOT used WD-40 on the potmetal of the switch. It will make the potmetal swell and bind.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome!!!

I would send it to someone that has restored them before. The pot metal can become brittle and is easy to break. To keep the look and feel of the original I would look at the pop out look alike switches that are sold.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
iverson

Thanks guys I got it apart the pot metal swelled up I had to pry it out of the dash cover. It came right off the cable that's why it wasn't working when I pushed it on a little it made contact. I may be able to wire or clamp it together to make it work. For now we can jump it run the car at least
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #11
al's28/33

Dick Crabtree restored mine, not sure if anyone has his contact information to shre right now, I can find it if you're interested.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
Bob C

X2 on Dick Crabtree 605-487-7229. It will come back looking and working like new.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
iverson

thanks guys for all the advice! this is the first pop out switch I have ever seen! the pot metal is going bad but I think I have a good farmer fix. I safety wired the switch to the cable. it tightend up good and holds the wire button tight. drove car around seems fine,if it does give trouble at least now I know how to jump it to get it going again