Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Right There!

My dad was driving his (now mine) 31 deluxe rdst. down a residential road when a man came running from his yard toward the road yelling, "Right there, right there"! Dad thought the guy was crazy and might need help so pulled over and stopped. Come to find out the guy had lost a thumb or finger when the rumble lid was slammed on his hand. Ouch!

Any interesting bystander comments about your A?
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Great Lakes Greg

Default Re: Right There!

Just the usual "...mine was just like that, except a different color, body style...and it was a '37...".
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Michael in Sedona

The best comment I've gotten was this one. I came out of a store to find an elderly lady standing by my roadster and staring at it. When I approached the car, she asked "Sonny, does this one have a rumble seat?" I answered that it didn't, just a standard trunk. "Well", she said, "I got pregnant in a rumble seat a long time ago". She kind of laughed, shook her head, and walked away.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

About a year ago I was waiting for the light to change when the car on my
left came whizzing through the intersection and couldn't keep his eyes off of
the coupe. Big mistake. Naturally he smacked into the truck coming toward
him.

Jack
Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Greybeard

The most fun I had was sitting out in front of the Nugget Hotel in West Windover, NV during Speedweek & listen to people try to explain what the hell my 180A body was. The most prevelant was "he cut the top off a 2dr sedan" but he did a nice job rolling over the sheetmetal. " He took a 4 dr & made it into a 2dr". Of course, none of the above would explain the unusually wide door!!! If someone asked I would explain, otherwise, I would just listen. One pompus ass looked at the car, turned to his young companion and said " you see how he folded the sides over like that? not nice and round like I did mine"!!!! Oh well......
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Greg Jones

Well, not about my car, per se, but I will never forget the old BS'er at the Chehalis swap meet bending my ear about when he was in Germany in World War II and they stormed the Dusenberg factory. How he could have brought one home for free. Yeah, that is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. How many GI grunts could drag something like a car back home (assuming this American car had been made in Germany) after the war?
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Keith True

I came out of a diner in town where we eat lunch sometimes to find an old buck bragging to everybody about my Model A.He was trying to pound on the fender with his fist,(all the strength he could muster was like patting a dog)telling everybody,this is real steel,none of that plastic sh#t like they make now.He pointed out dozens of things to his audience,he was right in love with the truck.I didn't have the heart to tell him he was pounding on a fiberglass fender.He was having a good time,showing the old car to everyone,as proud of it as if he owned it,so why pee in his wheaties.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Preacher

I only did one or two shows with my Town Sedan, and that was about 20 years ago. a gentleman came by with his wife, reminiscing, and gave me 'the look' when he talked about putting the shift lever out of the way for more sparkin' room with his gal. as he walked away she gave ME the look and said "not with me he didn't....the back seat was always SO much more comfortable"

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Jason in TX

I've had the shift lever and rumble seat nookie stories too. Too crazy.

Another story was when I asked a lady for directions. She walked up to the window and said, "My boyfriend in Highschool had a model A sedan. We were on a double date and had done a little bit of drinkin' and were driving down a dirt road at night. The old lights were so dim and we didn't see the sudden left turn in the old road. My boyfriend yanked the wheel at the last moment turning the car over on it's side and all four of us came right out the fabric roof ending up sitting in a cow pasture. We dusted our selves off, had a good laugh, righted the car and off we went!" She then pointed me in the right direction. Crazy times. I love that these cars have so much history!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I came out of a diner in town where we eat lunch sometimes to find an old buck bragging to everybody about my Model A.He was trying to pound on the fender with his fist,(all the strength he could muster was like patting a dog)telling everybody,this is real steel,none of that plastic sh#t like they make now.He pointed out dozens of things to his audience,he was right in love with the truck.I didn't have the heart to tell him he was pounding on a fiberglass fender.He was having a good time,showing the old car to everyone,as proud of it as if he owned it,so why pee in his wheaties.
Same thing with mine "They don't make steel like this anymore" tap tap tap.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Freddie (Memphis)

Not long after we got our '29 Briggs Leather back I was driving along down a major street here in East Memphis. As I drove along, I noticed a white-haired couple in a fairly new Lincoln Towncar driving next to me. As we drove along they would pace me so they would be right next to me at the next stoplight. When we stopped they would both crane their necks as if to see over into my car. Finally, I glanced over at them as we drove along and acknowledged them with a melodic "aah-OOOOOO-gah"...which made them both laugh out loud. At the next traffic light the lady put down her window and told me they had dated in a Model A many years ago and coold tell some stories about their courtship. Her husband smiled and nodded as if to approve. Made us all laugh...

I've often wondered about how many families got their start in our old car...how many brides and grooms may have ridden home from their wedding in the car...how many babies took their first car ride in her...and also how many funerals the car has attended. Thoughts of the history and what the car has seen it its lifetime make us ... well, me at least ... feel more reverant toward her.

Wonder what she's seen in her lifetime? If Jippy cold only talk...bet she could tell some stories...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

I drove my widebed to a swap meet one time, with a fresh B engine. Later I noticed an old-timer looking the A over, including under it. Pretty soon he came over and asked if that was my A, and how did I get it there? I thought that a dumb question but politely told him that I had driven it. Did not, he said! It is not leaking oil! Ha! It probably started leaking on the way home?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Jason in TX

Oh...

One early morning before a tour, I pulled through a Burger King drive through window to get a cup of coffee and when I pulled up to the window, the kid leaned out the window and said, "WOW!! Cool Car. Does it run?"

Uh... No, I'm pushing it around town to all the fast food joints in a mobile car show.

haha.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 10-19-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Big D

haha

One day when coming out of a store, I noticed an older guy looking around my sport coupe. After talking a bit, he gave me some advice to be careful with that rubble seat... It seemed that his Mom was carrying he and his sister somewhere. He was getting in and was on the fender when "Mom popped the clutch and away she went". Seems he fell in road and sister just laughed, Mom continued to drive away... LMAO.. Still get a good laugh out of that thought.

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
gilitos

In 1985 I was downtown Cincinnati in my '29 CCPU waiting to carry some Kiwanis in the St Patrick's day parade in 1985 when an old fellow came up and looked my A over real close for several minutes, then pointed at the dash and said "There's a good chance that I made that part". Turns out he worked for Ford as a young man for several years stamping out Model A dashes. That just about gave me goosebumps.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
Dan Baron

I had to laugh one day when I saw a woman crying in front of my car. She wasn't old or looked like she even knew anything about model A's. As it turned out she had read the dedication plaque that was mounted on my radiator for my wife which read "Dedicated to My Wife Michele for her Love, Patience and most of all her understanding of the goals I've set in life. I.W.A.L.Y. She thought that my wife was dead.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
HoarseWhisperer

My wife and I took our Roadster to one of our local Pub's for dinner. Our vehicle has a fairly recent and expensive paint job, so I am always putting those "Do Not Touch" signs on it. The one I put on the car as we went inside said,

"Do Not Touch, unless You Are NUDE!"

We finished our dinner and headed to the car as a woman came running towards us, hands me her camera and excitedly exclaimed, "I want my photo taken in your car and I'm willing to take my clothes off!"

Avoiding my wife's glare, I agree and the woman takes her top off, sits in the car and poses with arm stretched over the back of her head.

I take the photo and ask her to email a copy to us. It never came.

I guess I was too stunned to even think of the small digital camera that was on my belt at the time.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
Farrell In Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
My wife and I took our Roadster to one of our local Pub's for dinner. Our vehicle has a fairly recent and expensive paint job, so I am always putting those "Do Not Touch" signs on it. The one I put on the car as we went inside said,

"Do Not Touch, unless You Are NUDE!"

We finished our dinner and headed to the car as a woman came running towards us, hands me her camera and excitedly exclaimed, "I want my photo taken in your car and I'm willing to take my clothes off!"

Avoiding my wife's glare, I agree and the woman takes her top off, sits in the car and poses with arm stretched over the back of her head.

I take the photo and ask her to email a copy to us. It never came.

I guess I was too stunned to even think of the small digital camera that was on my belt at the time.
I am printing up one of those signs right now and buying a camera!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
I am printing up one of those signs right now and buying a camera!

Right ON!!!!! Thanks for the tip!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
Vic in E-TN

About 15 years ago I was heading into Great Smoky Mtn National Park with my 29 CCPU and I stopped just before the entrance to get gas. One old timer who was obviously drunk came up to me and put his foot on the running board. He said to me that he had one just like that but "one day a tree took it away from me". We have very dangerous trees here in Tennessee.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote