Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #1
cousinjd

Default storage pockets

Anyone out there build storage container into door pockets on 58 F100? Any suggestions on material or how to is appreciated. Jim
cousinjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: storage pockets

Suggest taking the vehicle to an upholsterer and see what he suggests. Maybe you can get matching material from SMS Auto Fabrics

Google automobile door storage pockets lots of ideas

Last edited by paul2748; 10-13-2022 at 07:38 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
cousinjd

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to do all the repairs and engineering inhouse, not looking for anything fancy. I'm trying to create a little storage area for drinks and snacks and such that is out of sight. I do appreciate your input. Jim
Old 10-16-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

If you've got room under the window glass (when the window is rolled all the way down) you could cut out a rectangular hole in the inner door structure. Then measure and cut a flat sheet of 22 gage sheet metal and bend the four corners and mounting flanges to fit in the hole cutout you made. I suggest mig-welding the corners for rigidity and lining the inside of your pocket with felt at a minimum (you may be able to select felt colors from some fabric outlets or ask you local auto interior upholsterer for samples he might be able to provide).
The only thing I havent figured out yet is what to use as trim to hide the door upholstery panel cutout. Also, mine had a hinged door (with hinge at bottom and a simple latch at top with small knob to pull down). It would need a similar corner trim around the door edges.
You could susbstitute the door with a pocket design that extends down into the bottom of the door, but the 20 gage metal box design would be more elaborate, but certainly not impossible.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:41 PM   #5
cousinjd

Thanks for your ideas Dave. The doors already have the opening, mine are missing the metal covers that came with the doors when new, just thought I would try to utilize the space. Your post has given me a few new ways to attack this project. Thanks again. Jim