Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
MickyD

Default 28 model a roadster front window sill

At the bottom of the front window, in the middle of the window sill, is a hole. I believe something goes in it to stop the window from coming in when driving my car. No matter how fast I go, maybe too fast the window comes in. I put a bolt in the hole with some rubber grommets to stop the window from coming in. The hole is the same size as the window wiper hole. Does anyone know what goes in that hole and what it looks like. Now that I know how to post a picture I will try and get one tomorrow.

Last edited by MickyD; 02-28-2021 at 12:22 AM.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 28 model a roadster front window sill

Open car windshields generally have the finger pulls on the bottom part of the windshield frame. This is a link but many model A suppliers have them: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...ndshield-parts

The gasket on the bottom side of the windshield frame will stop the windshield at the cowl top rail so that it won't try to "come in". There are also seals for the sides between the stanchions and the frame. Another link: https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...ndshield-parts
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
At the bottom of the front window, in the middle of the window sill, is a hole. I believe something goes in it to stop the window from coming in when driving my car. No matter how fast I go, maybe too fast the window comes in. I put a bolt in the hole with some rubber grommets to stop the window from coming in. The hole is the same size as the window wiper hole. Does anyone know what goes in that hole and what it looks like. Now that I know how to post a picture I will try and get one tomorrow.
There should not be a hole there unless I am misunderstanding where you are describing. I have take a picture of 3 different 28/29 Roadsters in my shop now (pix below) so that you can see what is 'supposed to be there'. The 3 sets of pictures show one with the Front Belt Rail Panel installed, one without it installed and one without the Cowl Assy. & Tank installed.

As for what is to keep the windshield stationary, it is the tapered/conical cones located on the pivot stud of the windshield frame and the cups inside of the windshield stanchions. All it takes to hold the windshield into any fixed position is to tighten the wingnuts on either side of the stanchion which pulls the tapered cone into the conical cup making an interference fit. The (sole) purpose of the rubber gasket it to stop water and wind from penetrating between the gaps around the windshield frame. It has been my experience where they really do not do a good job of keeping the windshield from moving, -especially if the windshield has been opened at an angle for ventilation.

Regarding the windshield moving, if you cannot lock the windshield in position, I would look at the cones and the cups inside the stanchion to see if they are worn. I would expect to find them worn, and the restorer omitted that step of restoration when the rest of the car was done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6716.jpg (66.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6721.jpg (74.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6717.jpg (37.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6719.jpg (56.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6718.jpg (52.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6720.jpg (49.3 KB, 47 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
MickyD

I did tighten up my window but I have to replace the stansion gaskets.as one of them is missing. I think the previous owner drilled a hole and put something in it to stop the window from coming in when he drove it. Thank you so much for the pictures.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
john in illinois

I put a positive stop for the windshield on my Roadster.

John
Old 02-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
MickyD

I don't mean to sound dumb but what is a positive stop?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Quote:
....what is a positive stop?

You answered your own question in Red above.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
There should not be a hole there unless I am misunderstanding where you are describing. I have take a picture of 3 different 28/29 Roadsters in my shop now (pix below) so that you can see what is 'supposed to be there'. The 3 sets of pictures show one with the Front Belt Rail Panel installed, one without it installed and one without the Cowl Assy. & Tank installed.

As for what is to keep the windshield stationary, it is the tapered/conical cones located on the pivot stud of the windshield frame and the cups inside of the windshield stanchions. All it takes to hold the windshield into any fixed position is to tighten the wingnuts on either side of the stanchion which pulls the tapered cone into the conical cup making an interference fit. The (sole) purpose of the rubber gasket it to stop water and wind from penetrating between the gaps around the windshield frame. It has been my experience where they really do not do a good job of keeping the windshield from moving, -especially if the windshield has been opened at an angle for ventilation.

Regarding the windshield moving, if you cannot lock the windshield in position, I would look at the cones and the cups inside the stanchion to see if they are worn. I would expect to find them worn, and the restorer omitted that step of restoration when the rest of the car was done.

wasn't there some contention here a while back that repro cones were not made correctly? we certainly have had posts complaining of the windshield pivoting inward no matter what the owner tried.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:47 PM   #9
norcalal

On my 1931 roadster the windshield would slam back and hit my knuckles. Ouch! I got a thin narrow self adhesive rubber strip used for body side moldings which were popular 20-30 years ago. Go to a body shop (my line of business for years) and they may have a long roll of the stuff. Where the lower windshield rubber hits the cowl, tape it on. It acts as a shim to raise that part of the cowl less than an eighth of an inch, but enough to keep the windshield from slamming back. Carefully installed it is invisible unless the windshield is pushed forward at the bottom.
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote