Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
Darrell S

Default Re: Wiring Dash and instrument cluster 1940

All good tips depending which route to go. Removing the seat and the return springs on clutch and brake helps too.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #22
stevejenkins2010

Thank you gentlemen for the great suggestions! I completely rewired my 1940 standard 2 door sedan new wiring harness. Almost everything worked completely after rewiring : temperature gauge, oil pressure, battery indicator, headlights taillights, and it started up the first time!

I did unbolt the front seat and pushed it towards the back to make it easy to access underneath the dash. It did take some contortions do you remove the instrument cluster, as I am in my 60s and I’m not as skinny as I used to be.

The only problem I’m having right now is the gas gauge. The gas gauge reads more than full, another words the needle is to the right of the full Mark. While I think my gas tank is pretty well full, the needle on the gauge doesn’t seem to be going down on. I suspect the gas gauge Might need calibration, or perhaps the sending unit is somehow wrong? Does This require pulling out the gas tank and checking something?

Thanks again for your help everybody!

Have a great day!
stevejenkins2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #23
JayChicago

Your fuel gauge symptom sounds like it has an aftermarket sending unit. They are all notoriously inaccurate, use different technology than the original. Gauge may read over-full until tank gets half empty then read 1/4 full when empty, or some other inaccurate reading. Takes some improvising with an aftermarket sender to get it to provide a correct current for the original gauge, and then may not be accurate thru the entire scale.

Sender is easily accessible. The trunk floor has a removable access panel. Then sender can be easily removed from within the trunk.

A working original King-Seely sender would be nice to have. They are not being reproduced. Originals do show up on ebay. A known-to-be-good one won't be cheap.

Last edited by JayChicago; 04-06-2020 at 09:43 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #24
Rcedrone

Please post link
Rcedrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #25
19Fordy

fortyonerag. Any chance you could repost those photos so they smaller to easy viewing?
When I post photos use Paint and RESIZE originals to 35%. Thanks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:47 AM   #26
mercman from oz

Here are some smaller photos that were originally posted by fortyonerag, as requested by 19Fordy. I hope that this is what you wanted to see, but as you can see, they are much smaller than the Originals. At least they fit the page when they are small like this.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:41 AM   #27
fortyonerag

Thanks Mercman. I think I know what I did wrong...
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #28
marko39

Just did this on my 39. I had seat out which is very important as I have been back under dash numerous times to trouble shoot problems and change resistor. It was hard to tell the difference between two wires on the new harness and I had them switched. Once running back under to replace two gauges I also am waiting until everything is sorted before installing radio as it will make it harder to do anything under dash with it installed.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Yes, the old electrical tape is still available. Search for "friction tape" on Amazon or other sources.

Ken
3M still makes friction tape. It is available at any Home Depot in the electrical section.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #30
19Fordy

THANK YOU for posting resized photos. Big help.

JAY: How did you make out with fixing your gas tank sending unit?
Old 01-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #31
38bill

I find that one of those headlamps that you wear really helps under the dash as it aims the light right where you are looking.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #32
JayChicago

[QUOTEJAY: How did you make out with fixing your gas tank sending unit?[/QUOTE]

After lots of trial-and-error, including driving til empty with a gas can in the trunk, the gauge is now good enough. Here's a note put in the car's file for future caretakers:
"When needle gets over gauge's E line, it will have maybe 1 gallon in the tank, good for about 10-15 miles. But needle will not go lower."

I started by making a cardboard template representing the cross section of the tank. With sender laying on the template, adjusted the float arm so that the arm bottomed on the sender just before the float hit the floor of the tank. But then this particular sender needed an additional 7 ohm resistor in series with the sender to get gauge needle to go down to the E mark.

Last edited by JayChicago; 01-14-2021 at 04:41 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #33
19Fordy

Thanks Jay for the reply, Glad you solved the problem. Good condition old fuel tank sending units sure are hard to find.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #34
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejenkins2010 View Post
]Hello, I’m a new member here. I’m looking for any advice on how to install a dash wiring harness for my 1940 standard Sedan. I have a new Dash wiring harness, but looking for advice on installation. Should I remove dash, or front seat ? Is there any step by step guide in a mechanics manual?

I rewired the headlights already, took a good bit of time, and would appreciate any advice before tackling this new project....thanks!!
I just last week did a 41 tudor . Every wire . I used Tyree Harris excellent harness . I left the seat in , moved it back and had sufficient room and actually it helped being there. Remove the cover on the firewall and start to unplug . I could not tell original color , i soon realized that it didnt matter the new harness is color coded correctly. Dash instrument cluster is simple enough , ign switch ,wires for circuit breaker (41) and resistor are easy , next was the clovebox clock and wire to the cigar lighter and dome lights , done .
Lay the harness out in the sun or somewhere warm and straighten , line it up under dash so wires are in appropriate position . I used one of the harbor freigh freebie led lights that have a hook and a magnet on the back . Light was not a problem with new batteries . Make sure you have a wiring diagraam and i used a few different ones as the 41 was a one year only and had some discrepancies between schematic
Good luck .

Last edited by Ggmac; 01-15-2021 at 06:08 AM.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote