Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
1929 Roadster

Default 1929 Roadster Cowl Tank Removal

New guy here , I am so glad to have discovered this forum today. Have a 29 Roadster with a Model B engine in it . My Dad bought this car in 1963 (which is like buying a 1981 today) for 1200 bucks . After loaning Mom and Dad a ton of $ in the early 90's I ended up taking "Lizzy" in exchange for its appraised value at the time . This car was never really restored in the true sense of the word . Basically it had a B engine dropped in, a paint job with new top and upolstry. I love this car since its been part of my life for 52 years . Recently at a get together I was taking my First Cousin for a spin when she just stopped getting gas. The gas was getting to the carb but not out. This was the 2nd time this happened and fortunately it happened in my long driveway . Rust from the tank was the culprit even though i had flushed out the tank extremely well and I also have an in line filter . Yesterday I took off the carb (Zenith 2) and found the main Jet was plugged with rust and probably lacquer . in fact everything was very dirty , lots of rust. So I decided that I need to remove the tank and give it the same clean & seal treatment that my old Ford 850 Tractor got. I found a thread on this forum concerning a 29 Fordor tank removal and am hoping for some advice before I dig in to it. Interesting enough I have half a dozen Model A books on restoration and service bulletins etc. and not one of them details taking off the tank . Since it has probably never been off I want to proceed with caution and any tips from some of you pros out there would be welcomed ... Thanks Jeremy
1929 Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 1929 Roadster Cowl Tank Removal

WELCOME!!

The removal method is the same.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Bob C

Mike, doesn't the fordor tank come out from the inside the car
and the roadster from the top?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Mike, doesn't the fordor tank come out from the inside the car
and the roadster from the top?

Bob
Let me double check, but I thought all the tanks come out the same with in the same year.

While I don't have it here the "Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook" describes removal of both the 28/29 style and 30/31 style gas tank.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 08-02-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #5
Randy in ca

The tanks on fordors are mounted under the exterior cowl and are attached and removed differently than other 28-29 models. Basically, after all the peripherals are removed or disconnected, there's a row of bolts to the lower firewall, bolts and clamps on each side to the cowl panels and bolts across the top behind the dash panel. Then the tank is lifted up and out towards the front. Pretty much covered in this old thread, good luck:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105080
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The fordor and cabriolet gas tank removal is defintely more complicated and the roadster less complicated, but still a lot of work.
Before you remove the roadster gas tank, you may want to try the hollow leg gas clean out method first.
There should be a previous post with a picture. It is a very ingenious idea. Removing the tank is time consuming and getting the new webbing to fit can be quite a challenge.

Last edited by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA; 08-02-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

FYI:
If you do remove the tank, be sure to use cowl webbing and not fender webbing when reinstalling it. Also, the webbing should be painted first.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
1929 Roadster

Thanks to all who have responded I will keep you posted on my progress ...Jeremy
Old 08-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
1929 Roadster

Re :Cowl webbing ...Thanks Neil ill see if Snyders has it.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Why not fill it with evaporust to dissolve the rust...worth a shot IMO

Welcome to the forum
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

You could also be getting crap from the cast iron sediment bulb if your running one
There are a few other things I would try first also

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-02-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
1929 Roadster

Thanks Mitch ..I have thought of just living with it and continuing my yearly flush out. I drain the gas and coolant out of if every year for the winter and I'm tired of dealing with the rust and rebuilding /cleaning carbs. so I am going for it .. I drain the coolant every year because the year I bought my 31 it froze and cracked the head ..Didn't check it for antifreeze and it didn't have any ..in the spring I found all 4 cylinders rusted and frozen fast since the water ended up in them. Bummer.But what happened next testifies to the durability of the A engine .. I filled each cylinder with marvel mystery oil Inserted my hand crank and started pounding it around with a 10 pound sledge. the first day I moves the crank about 2 inches.. So I kept after it for months until one day I made it all the way around .. Kept after it until I could hand crank it slapped on a another head., timed it and it started up so fast I was amazed ... Good old model A's practically indestructible....
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I'm not asking you to live with it but maybe correct it without dismantling the car.. I have fixed a few permanently this way... Just an easier option to try .
Feel free to pm me for step by step instructions...
Good luck

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-02-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
1929 Roadster

Ok Mitch I'm all ears ..I only have the hood & all the front stuff removed .. Havent started. taking the windshield and dash apart yet. What is your option and thanks again ...Ps love the Thompson! ive been trying to send you a PM but haven't figured out how yet.. working on it /

Last edited by 1929 Roadster; 08-02-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Cow magnet
Old 08-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

You can also try this;

It allows the rust from the tank to fall past the outlet to the tank. No removing the tank, no damage to the tank, no repainting the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirty leg.JPG (39.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #17
1929 Roadster

Am now exploring Mitch 's evaporust option .. One question ive raised with him is that the vacuum tube to the wiper appears to go thru the tank on the lower passenger side. It comes out on the drivers side, up the windshield bracket, possibly under the dash rail. Wondering if it does indeed pass thru the tank?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Bob C

No it does not go through the tank.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
1929 Roadster

Right you are Bob I see now that it appears to from the engine side but only goes thru the lip and then travels under the tank .
Old 08-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
1929 Roadster

I have decided not to go with the evaporust option offered by Mitch (thank you Mitch) because of its cost of over 220 $ versus 84$ & tax for the 3 part treatment. The seal I will be using fixed a Ford 850 gas tank that actually had pin hole leaks permanently . So at this point I am almost ready to try to pull the tank out. all bolts clips and things mounted on it have been removed. The problem I face now is the dash arm which was attached to the tank but is now still possibly in the way. It is welded to the dash rail brackets on either side and it is riveted to the supports that the windshield arms are bolted to. These brackets are those that the dash rail is bolted to. The entire assembly is hard joined ..It appears that I may be able to slide the tank out without cutting the dash arm free. Does anyone know if this is possible ...I will try to attach photos when I get time ... Right now the tank is free and loose at all places except on the right and left sides near these dash rail brackets. I have been applying penetrating oil and will do so daily until it loosens up. This is how I have freed the rest of it after 86 years of being together.. Please. advise if you have done and open cab 28 or 29 ..The phaeton, roadster and other open convertible top models should be the same or close. thank you ...jeremy

Last edited by 1929 Roadster; 08-06-2015 at 11:00 PM.