Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
goodcar

Default Tractor Supply Coil

I recently posted problem of car not starting. In the process of troubleshooting problem, I replaced the coil with a new Tractor Supply coil. Although coil appeared to be good (produced spark) car still wouldn't start. Went back to original coil, car started.

I measured resistance of Tractor Supply coil. Primary was 2 ohms, secondary was 3k ohms. Good coil measured 1.5 on primary and 7k ohms on secondary.

Yesterday I purchased a new Tractor Supply coil. The primary read 2 ohms and the secondary was open. No more Tractor Supply coils for me.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Tractor Supply Coil

Many folks are running a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil. I am.
Its compatible with original ignition systems or electronic conversions.
They have them for 6 or 12 volt systems.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

The Pertronix flame thrower coil works really good on the model A . The three OHM version works with twelve volt and the one point five works for six volts . Neither of these coils will need a resister . If the coil is to be mounted as original with wire connections at the bottom , use the epoxy filled version . If an oil filled coil is used it is best to mount the coil with the wire connections at the top to insure that the internal coils will remain covered in the cooling oil . The flame thrower coil looks just like other replacement coils that are sold for use with the model A . The spark comes from the coil . Use of such a performance coil will give performance that can be felt . There is nothing that this coil will hurt . I've used this coil on our roadster for fourteen years with good results .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Jack Shaft
BANNED

As an alternative to the flame thrower The Bosch 'blue' coil puts out 35k volts and is designed to run inverted.Quality coil.

Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
As an alternative to the flame thrower The Bosch 'blue' coil puts out 35k volts and is designed to run inverted.Quality coil.

Does this work on 6 volts, assume it probably does.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
ryanheacox

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yeah I tried a couple of those Tractor Supply coils just to have one as a spare. First one was junk, second one worked but ran like crap... Got a couple original Fords and they're working just fine 90 years later.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
ursus

Bosch makes a 6-volt version of the blue coil that is silver (unpainted steel). It puts out 40,000 - 50,000 volts on 1.2 ohms primary resistance - vollig ausgezeichnet!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Phil Brown

Hard to miss with that blue coil. Been using them on everything that rolls for 40+ years,they just work,why mess with success ?
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
Dirtrack49

I installed a Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil back in November of last year after having problems with a coil getting hot and intermittently not putting out spark.

Now as of the other day, my car will not start. Went through the ignition check list and it looks like I have a bad coil. No voltage from the coil going to the ignition switch.

Has anyone run into problems using a Pertronix coil?

Tom L.

Last edited by Dirtrack49; 08-22-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: addition
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Are you sure that the problem isn't the condenser , they can have the same symptoms
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
I recently posted problem of car not starting. In the process of troubleshooting problem, I replaced the coil with a new Tractor Supply coil. Although coil appeared to be good (produced spark) car still wouldn't start. Went back to original coil, car started.

I measured resistance of Tractor Supply coil. Primary was 2 ohms, secondary was 3k ohms. Good coil measured 1.5 on primary and 7k ohms on secondary.

Yesterday I purchased a new Tractor Supply coil. The primary read 2 ohms and the secondary was open. No more Tractor Supply coils for me.
Did you return the coil to TSC for a refund?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Did you return the coil to TSC for a refund?
Yes I did.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
McMimmcs

[/B]
Quote:
Yes I did.
Sounds like a compliment is due TSC for good customer service!
Old 08-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
jetmek

Wouldnt expect anything else from TSC. All chinee made crap. Now if you want a steson or muck boots its great
Old 08-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #15
Ruth

Quote:
So did you find out why your car would not start? You replaced your coil because it wouldn't start. Your car would not start with the new coil. You went back to the original coil and your car started.

Have you determined why it would not with the original coil?
Old 08-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #16
duke36

The Blue Bosch coils are now purportedly made in Brazil, Turkey or Mexico, etc. No more from Germany. Shake the coil. If it sloshes around , it s not epoxy or paste filled and would suggest it be installed with terminals up for better internal cooling.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
So did you find out why your car would not start? You replaced your coil because it wouldn't start. Your car would not start with the new coil. You went back to the original coil and your car started.

Have you determined why it would not with the original coil?
Good question. No I have not determined why the car suddenly started running poorly and then died. Car has rebuilt engine with 5.5 head, 75 psi compression. When trying to restart the warm engine I think the starter was dragging down the voltage enough that the spark was too weak. I think this was due to poor battery to engine connection via the frame. As I mentioned in my original post this problem was discovered when the wiper tube from the intake manifold was getting warm when cranking the engine. The car is a '31 with the bare strap cable from the battery to the frame. I have since installed a bonding cable from the engine to the frame. Before I venture too far from home I will carry a known good coil and condenser in case the ones I'm using are intermittent. Unfortunately intermittent problems don't fix themselves, they keep returning.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #18
Dirtrack49

goodcar,

I had a problem about a year ago where everything would be running fine and the engine would die all of a sudden.
At first, I thought it was my pigtail wire going from the points to the lower plate grounding out. However, I would drive the car for several miles or just a few, and it would die for no apparent reason. I could come back to it the next day and it would start up and run fine. Made me crazy until the last time it died, I reached over and touched the coil, it was really hot.
Ended up replacing the coil with a Pertronix Flame Thrower, ran great for the next 500 miles and again the engine quit.
Went through the electrical and ignition check list and I am not getting any voltage at the coil at the red wire with it connected or not. That tells me that I might have another coil problem. The old coil that the PO put on was oil filled. Had it mounted upside down. Pretty sure that was what was overheating the coil. I had thought that replacing it with an epoxy coil would solve my problem, but now I am wondering if the Pertronix shot crapps.

Purdy, were you the one who said it could also be my condenser?

Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
McMimmcs

To be honest it appears nothing was fixed and the problem will likely return!
Old 08-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #20
31Abone

I bot a new 6v coil from macs or snyders 3 yrs ago..would idle very good but at speed nothing..real PITA to find the problem ..gas .plugs ,compression etc ..put a 1950 coil on works perfect.so .do not but coil from model A supply houses..junk
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote