Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default Coolant Seep on Head

Noticed a minor pool of coolant around one of the center head studs. Rechecked the torque on all the nuts and had no take up. Do the studs thread into the water jacket or just threaded blind holes ? Not getting any coolant into the combustion chambers. Think I'll try some stop-leak before entertaining pulling the head. Watcha think ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Coolant Seep on Head

Your referring to wet holes and dry holes. The answer is Yes, some dry and some are wet. Best practice is to coat the stud bottom thread with permatex#2 sealer when assembling. If any coolant is getting into a cylinder, that can cause your idle issue.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
rocket1

need more info,rebuilt engine? stock head? stud torque? checked torque when engine is hot?on going problem or recent occurrence?
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Noticed a minor pool of coolant around one of the center head studs. Rechecked the torque on all the nuts and had no take up. Do the studs thread into the water jacket or just threaded blind holes ? Not getting any coolant into the combustion chambers. Think I'll try some stop-leak before entertaining pulling the head. Watcha think ?
I have the same issue with stud #2 (referring to the Les Andrews torque chart). Just a little bit of coolant weeping up around the threads. Head nut is nice and tight, and torqued to specs. Engine was recently assembled with brand new studs. At this point, it does not appear to be causing me any other issues. I have seen this topic come up from time to time on the forum. I might take that stud out and put some Permatex on it and put it back in.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
I have the same issue with stud #2 (referring to the Les Andrews torque chart). Just a little bit of coolant weeping up around the threads. Head nut is nice and tight, and torqued to specs. Engine was recently assembled with brand new studs. At this point, it does not appear to be causing me any other issues. I have seen this topic come up from time to time on the forum. I might take that stud out and put some Permatex on it and put it back in.
Please post results - thanks
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
Magicbox51, think you are on to something. Published Model A expert Jim Schild states coolant seeping past the head studs is a common issue, especially on freshly rebuilt engines. He goes on to recommend putting stop leak in the cooling system prior to firing up a new rebuild for the first time. I used Barrs aluminized sealant today and the problem seems to be fixed. Most leaking on my engine was on the center stud that retains the distro cable. My engine has right at 1,000 miles since a major rebuild (by the PO). Hope this caper is solved.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote