Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #21
larrys40

Default Re: Starting to Have 2nd Thoughts About Restoring This Model A Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Robbie,
Most of us that have rebuilt Model A's from a shell like you have shown understand that it will often cost more than it will be worth, monetarily, when completed. We do the restoration because we enjoy the work and choose to spend our money on this hobby instead of other activities.
If you want a good car to drive and enjoy, it is almost always less expensive to purchase one already done. My advice to picking the right one would be to ask a trusted knowledgeable Model A owner (or two) to help you evaluate a potential purchase.
Good Day!
Robbie
I think Dave’s advice is spot on and exactly right. I will also add that it is important at looking at an older restoration or what is suppose to be a good car as a driver that you realize what it may need to get it up to condition. Those of us that do work for folks know that all too often people buy “restored” cars that need lots of work just to make them safe and roadable. People have spent north of 20k and the car still needs 2-5 k of work to make it right. As Dave said take someone knowledgeable. I know lots of Streetrod guys that enjoy stock model A’s as much or more than the street rods . Especially the wives. Key is making it a good driver.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #22
Terry, NJ

This kind of upsets me! I've got a 1930 Town Sedan that I was restoring and have hit several stopping points. This car has a new Schwalms engine, new wood through out, and new paint, (the drabs, Copra and Chicle) New wind shield new this and that, new seat springs ,wood, and all kinds of stuff. Hydraulic brakes, rebuilt rear. yada yada yada........
Yet no one can see the value at $9,750. Oh well! All I'm doing is recovering most of my money. I'm not making a nickel for all my labor, which is considerable with a frame off restoration.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #23
TMarsh

Kept every receipt for a 68 Mustang convertible and sold it for exactly what I had in it, MINUS, my labor.
This time a threw away all my receipts on my 1930 basket case coupe, not planning on selling, and have a beautiful car that would be a trailer queen, but I drive it often. I do not have a fancy bass boat are expensive shotgun, and do not do golf, but I have great satisfaction in my coupe.
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #24
lotsagas4u

If you are worried about all the money going into fixing these cars up, you need another hobby.
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #25
ronn

If you are worried about all the money going into fixing these cars up, you need another hobby.

completely true or else, learn to buy and sell better.

Have heard so many times over the yrs how much of a money pit collecting cars is.
all depends how you approach it. I make a few bucks on 9 and lose on # 10 and am always fine with that. I truly am not involved in cars to make $. If I were, I'ld be better off heading to a job......

goals intentions and dreams all hit us differently.
If you want to get rich in cars, one should have bought ferrarris!!!!!!!!!!!

the model A is pure, simple enjoyment.......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:07 PM   #26
McMimmcs

Had I been younger I would have restored an A. But at 75 time is not on my side so I buy today, drive tomorrow. I can virtually buy a car for the price of a good paint job. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:08 PM   #27
Robbie Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsagas4u View Post

Really!! I said I was having second thoughts about restoring it. No I do not need or want another hobby.

Last edited by Robbie Horn; 03-14-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Robbie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #28
Russ B

Everyone has their own concept as to what they want in a hobby. For me, most of the joy is in the time spent building and rebuilding the car, bit by bit. I have spent over 2,000 of my own hours and tens of thousands of dollars. No one would ever pay me for my time or money spent. I have no regrets over the time or the money. I got the joy I wanted, even if I don’t drive the car a lot. My new project is to build a Burtz block for it. Necessary, NO; but I will enjoy the process of building a new motor, and learning more.

For some the hobby is primarily social, and that is fine too. Others enjoy building for judging. It is somewhat important to know what you want out of your hobbies.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:54 AM   #29
Synchro909

I find there is a great sense of satisfaction to be had when you restore your own car but zero when you buy a turnkey car. I figure you might as well but a Honda as but a Model A already restored to someone else's standards.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:38 AM   #30
flat-v8

I know how you feel about dumping a ton of money into it, here's the A I recently had fall into my hands, and it has been FUN working on it and actually getting it to run after engine was completely stuck sitting for 60 years, I drove it for the 1st time this weekend but I'm not investing anymore into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 model A.jpg (101.8 KB, 30 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:16 AM   #31
1942deluxe

My 7th math teacher told me in 1972 that he had a Model A coupe. He had it restored recently and the tab was around 35K. Restoration shop owner is a straight shooter and told him he could could buy one done for half or less. He said if he did it wouldn't be HIS Model A. Car came out really nice and one of his children has spoken for it when he is no longer here. I'm just started a 1942 Deluxe Coupe that I've had 20 years. I could buy something done way cheaper but it wouldn't be MY 42.....
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:05 AM   #32
Oldbluoval

I have a small resto business where I restore components…..not full resto to finish.
Recently I’ve had 3 folks put the brakes on fairly high-dollar projects.
It’s ok, and prudent, to call time out and wait. The world is a strange place right now. Resources hard to get, costs exploding and markets changing. I’m not sure when, or if, those things will change.

….but another saying is “he who hesitates is lost”!!

Side bar….
My 7th math teacher told me in 1972 that he had a Model A coupe. He had it restored recently and the tab was around 35K

Wow! In 1972 that was a whopper of a resto cost! That’s over $220k in today’s dollar.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:13 AM   #33
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
My 7th math teacher told me in 1972 that he had a Model A coupe. He had it restored recently and the tab was around 35K

Wow! In 1972 that was a whopper of a resto cost! That’s over $220k in today’s dollar.

I think he is saying the car was restored recently, which makes the 35K more believable.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #34
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat-v8 View Post
I know how you feel about dumping a ton of money into it, here's the A I recently had fall into my hands, and it has been FUN working on it and actually getting it to run after engine was completely stuck sitting for 60 years, I drove it for the 1st time this weekend but I'm not investing anymore into it.

flat-v8, that car looks just perfect! if it runs and drives well, you've got a keeper.

Robbie Horn, when I replaced wood in a Tudor 20 years ago I just bought the pieces I needed. less cost than a full kit. every piece was either too long, too wide or had holes in wrong place. not that hard to fix if you have some basic woodworking tools and patience.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:31 AM   #35
1942deluxe

Oldblueoval, the 35k was in the last couple of years. Car is beautiful but I'm sure twice the dollars of what it would sell for.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #36
Oldbluoval

Got it, I just didn't read correctly.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #37
flat-v8

[QUOTE=Chris in WNC;2113100]flat-v8, that car looks just perfect! if it runs and drives well, you've got a keeper.

I don't want the car, I do like it! 100% original, no rust at all, all the wood is perfect, it runs and drives! I'm pretty sure I have it sold to my sons friend for $7500 I hope he don't turn it into a hotrod. I already did a amateur at home restoration on my 36' PU, and it has been in storage since I got the model A. Storage $145 month! I need my truck back home, going broke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 Ford truck.jpg (110.3 KB, 15 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #38
copgib

Robbie, I was in your shoes awhile back. I bought a true barn find that needed everything. I should have bought one already running, but I had the funds and I knew up front that I would be paying more than the car would be worth when I was done. I even thought about making my car a hot rod, but chose to keep it original and I have no regrets. Good luck on your project. Hooter
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:16 PM   #39
Terry, NJ

Some guys seem to think I want to make money on this project! I'm not looking for this. I'ts barn find days were in 2010, not 2022! I'm just trying to recover most, not all, of the 2010 - 2015 priced parts I put into it. The biggest deal was the Schwalms engine at slightly over $5000 would probably be over $6000 today. Does that sound like I'm making money? Or even trying to? I still say that three of the major sectors of the work are done. The engine, the wood, and the paint, Yes, there's more to do, door glass, door alignment, upholstery and interior, wiring, etc.
Terry, NJ

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 03-16-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #40
jack backer
BANNED

Built mine all by myself, did everything, paint and body, mechanicals, electrical, even hung my own tires..It looks like it too. Dont get tied up in the Clubs,they all have 'pecking orders' based on the car you run..I do most of my driving alone,just me and the car..most folks wave or give thumbs up,and little boys love it..

Cost wise I maybe a little over break even if I pay myself 2 cents an hour labor
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote