Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
Graeme / New Zealand

Default you-tube speedways Motor Museum

Found this recent post on you-tube. Some of you no doubt have been there, some maybe not and others like me will probably never get there. The flathead room "boggles" your mind....all sorts of "weird ones" and the not so weird, there is some real innovation here. The wall of intakes that goes on and on. Wow!

GB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dr8Zv9W0TA

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:05 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: you-tube speedways Motor Museum

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:41 AM   #3
ford38v8

Speedy Bill had a favorite story about acquiring a quantity of Ford experimental engines from Greenfield Village during a renovation of one of the buildings. He said the employee that approved that sale lost his job soon after.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:18 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Beautiful stuff, for sure!

What's really interesting are the amazingly good looking, YET SIMPLE display stands. Ya see Lawson, you could have whipped-up something like seen below for $10 bucks MAX in materials. I could have whipped that together with all the crapolla I had in my garage for $notta!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #5
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Found this recent post on you-tube. Some of you no doubt have been there, some maybe not and others like me will probably never get there. The flathead room "boggles" your mind....all sorts of "weird ones" and the not so weird, there is some real innovation here. The wall of intakes that goes on and on. Wow!

GB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dr8Zv9W0TA
Graeme, thank you for posting this video. Would never have found it on my own!! Great stuff!!, particularly after buying so much needed parts from Speedway Motors...gives me a whole new appreciation for Speedy Bill and what he was able to put together as a business!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
corvette8n

Thanks for posting, This will have to go on my bucket list.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
TJ

We visited the museum many years ago and Speedy Bill met with us. A very interesting man and a good business man. One of our club members said to Bill "with your knowledge of how to run a business you should run for Congress and teach those people a few things about the business world". Speedy Bill's response ,with a smile on his face, was "You can't fix Washington". I never forgot that response.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:52 AM   #8
19Fordy

Graeme: THANKS so much for posting that video. It's the perfect "walk through" of Speedy Bills Museum. Excellent pace and flow along with descriptions and photography that was smooth as silk. Makes you feel you are there. It is a Blessing that Speedy Bill
literally saved this for posterity. Otherwise we would never know.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #9
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Beautiful stuff, for sure!

What's really interesting are the amazingly good looking, YET SIMPLE display stands. Ya see Lawson, you could have whipped-up something like seen below for $10 bucks MAX in materials. I could have whipped that together with all the crapolla I had in my garage for $notta!

Coop, without being able to inspect those stands up close and personal, I cannot comment on them with any specificity other than to say they look mighty flimsy to me. 700 lbs more or less is being balanced atop 4 "toothpicks" with no lateral support.

Considering the cost of even basic 1.5 inch black water pipe, and flanges which would certainly collapse under the weight of the engine, you can bet your sweet bippy you will have more than $10.00 in each of those wobbly legs.

Yes, with your highly developed mechanical skills and your abundance of crapola to work with, I am confident you could have put those stands together in less than 15 minutes with a 10 minute coffee break factored in. You flyboys just seem to be overly blessed in that respect.

One positive thing I can say, you seem to maintain your position at the top of the heap when it comes to sarcasm.

Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:16 PM   #10
slowforty

I was there in March 2022 . Excellent adventure, Go in the middle of the week and catch one of the Docents ,for a Lot of information.
Place is four stories tall about 90,000 sq ft(yes).
And they are adding another 90,000 sq ft addition
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Coop - Yes, with your highly developed mechanical skills and your abundance of crapola to work with, I am confident you could have put those stands together in less than 15 minutes with a 10 minute coffee break factored in. You flyboys just seem to be overly blessed in that respect.

One positive thing I can say, you seem to maintain your position at the top of the heap when it comes to sarcasm.

Lawson

Good for you, Lawson...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:33 PM   #12
Krylon32

Great Video. The Flathead collection is fantastic. I only live 100 miles from Lincoln and have only been there once. We built Speedy 3 vehicles in the late 90's early 2000's. Built 2 of the club cab 34 pickups, a yellow one and a red one. The red one went on the road in some kind of a display for Ford Motor Company. The other build was my only venture into the T bucket world with a Black low boy bucket with an aluminum Lingerfelter V8. Never got any recognition for the builds as Speedy didn't do that kind of thing.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote