Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
DrinkMan

Default Don't Give up - There is a finish line!

Excuse this long post. It is a summary of a few years.

About 3 years ago we bought a Ford Model A. As you can see from my signature line, we have a lot of experience with older (but nothing as old as a Model A) cars. My wife and I do all the maintenance and keep all of them in top notch running order. I over estimated our ability to select a quality car and under estimated the effort to keep one in great condition.

Not going to address our mistakes in selection of the car but when we started we found that the car had a top speed of 25 mph, backfired constantly, had trouble starting and very poor brakes. We dove in and started doing small projects figuring each project would get us a perfect car.

Luckily, despite our naivete, we had some great resources to draw upon. This forum, our local club, and we only live 25 miles from Mike's Affordable A parts. First brakes needed rebuilding. Then, we started addressing the ignition system. Distributor wire, pop-out switch wire intermittently shorting out, and drive gear worn all hit us. Fix one, find another. Rebuilt carburetor, clean out fuel tank, and replaced gaskets on fuel gauge. A few things broke during the work - Bendix spring, light switch, etc...

Frustration was very high. We would get it running but not quite good enough (to my satisfaction). I would drive it to car shows and put a For Sale sign on it. After every drive, the car would need to have something fixed. Water pump, starter switch, condenser, and more. We would walk away from it and not touch it for months (it had us intimidated).

Last week, I finally thought I had everything working and sure enough, it wouldn't hold idle and ran worse than it did the week before. I contacted a local club member and asked for assistance. He came over, started the car up, ran it hard, checked each plug for spark, and then drove it with a vengeance (showed that car who was boss). He pointed out a couple of minor things, proclaimed that I had done a good job fixing it and left us to correct those things.

So, during the week, I changed the heat range of the plugs, installed a screen in the fuel tank after blowing it out, and replaced the carb since the GAV seat was beyond hope.
This video is the result. (I drove it 50 mph, brakes work, accelerates strongly)

https://youtu.be/IiYNZ7NBmUk

Now we have a serviceable Model A that we can enjoy. This is what we wanted when we bought it so long ago. We learned a lot (for example, just because you can rebuild an Opel engine, replace an entire Alfa Romeo brake system, and balance dual side draft carbs does not make you qualified to work on a Model A). So to all of you that are struggling, just keep finding those small problems and fixing them one at a time. Soon there will not be any more gremlins to vanquish. I'm looking forward to now only fixing things that break "normally" and doing some more upgrades (like turn signals).

Some picture of the journey:

Again, thanks to Hal, Harold, Mike & Erich at Mike's Affordable, and all the posts in this forum that I searched out and read of everyone adventures.

A diverse fleet - nothing boring:
1928 Ford Tudor
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Duetto)
1973 Opel GT
1973 Triumph TR6
1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6+ engine: Spit6
2005 Lotus Elise
DrinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Don't Give up - There is a finish line!

Looking good, now enjoy it.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
harleynut

You have the main ingredient.....mechanical ability....if you already haven't, get the Les Andrews books, Vol. 1and2 they are a big help.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
mshmodela

Great story, great effort... Have fun!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Roadster Rich

Now here's another side of the same story. I did every bit of work on my Roadster, starting when I was 14. Now I have a 30 Town Sedan "barn find" moved into my shop. Just starting to go through the engine and I am clearly getting the feeling that I want to have this as a driver and much sooner than I think I can pull it off. Sounds so awful to say, but I think I am getting too old to put all the time in to do all of this. At 63, it might be time to part with a bit of this money I have made and get a real professional to do it in about 10% of the time. As you can see, my mind is almost made up.
P1010003.jpg
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
armchair67

Whether you do all the work or farm it out, as long as folks enjoy their cars, that is the important thing. Once you get it all sorted out, these cars are truly reliable and fun.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Rich View Post
Now here's another side of the same story. I did every bit of work on my Roadster, starting when I was 14. Now I have a 30 Town Sedan "barn find" moved into my shop. Just starting to go through the engine and I am clearly getting the feeling that I want to have this as a driver and much sooner than I think I can pull it off. Sounds so awful to say, but I think I am getting too old to put all the time in to do all of this. At 63, it might be time to part with a bit of this money I have made and get a real professional to do it in about 10% of the time. As you can see, my mind is almost made up.
Attachment 244612
"Getting too old at 63?" Gawd..

Yer just a kid. I got 21 years on ya and thoroughly enjoying my 1930 CCPU restoration.

In fact, I can't wait to get into the shop in the morning. If nothing else, the exercise keeps the A1C down..

Larry