Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2023, 01:17 AM   #21
restoman

Default Re: 1931 Duesenberg Model J was hidden in garage

Ah yes, the Duesenberg that got away. In 1964 a friend and I bought a clean, running driving Judkins Victoria for $7,000.00. We sold it soon for $14,000.00 and thought we made the deal of the decade. Gordon Morris, the buyer, sold it in 1987 for over 500. In 1957 there was a J dual cowl phaeton at a local foreign car shop for repair. It was owned by a well known Deusy guy from Connecticut and developed a rod knock on a trip and ended up in Syracuse. I heard about it and my father took me to see it. The shop was having trouble fixing it and asked my father if he wanted it for $1000,00. Dad was not a car guy and probably would not have taken it for free. I was only 15 and though already a car owner of six years, I certainly didn't have that amount of $$. I don't know what ever became of it. Jack Stevens had a J sedan in high school in 1953 and junked it when it threw a rod. It was scrapped soon after. No more Deusenberg stories.
restoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #22
Bob NH

Wonderful stories about the Duesenberg's . How about a Mercer and a Stutz that used to be owned by the chauffeur of the L.P. Moore Paint Company whose long driveway was right across the street from where I lived in younger days ? Owners name was George Shultz .I remember seeing him coming down the road in the mercer pumping like crazy to pressurize the fuel with one hand and trying to steer with the other ! Mercer was stored inside the big barn during the cold winter and the Stutz was under a lean to attached to the barn outside. Some years later on the property changed hands and I mentioned to the owners that at one time there was a Mercer there, soon after that they gave me a radiator badge that was stuck to a beam in the garage ! The original Moore family also had a green 39 or 40 Mercury convertible as well as a 41 Ford woody and a Blue 40 or 41 Ford 3/4 ton truck with a silver bed which they used to maintain the long dirt driveway. Unfortunately, the woody and Mercury convertible. were victims of a fire and gone forever. No idea what happened to the nice truck.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-06-2023, 04:23 PM   #23
rockfla

Don't have a Duesenberg story BUT I do have one of a 1955 Mercedes 300SL circa 1966 or 67 that my Dad could have bought for $5000. It was a full aluminum body SL which I later found was one of the first 27 (or so)? OH and it also came with a pretty nice late 50's/early 60"s 220 as well!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:41 PM   #24
Karl

My Father was offered Chris Amons / Stirling Moss's Maserati 250F Formula One car for 50 pounds as a young man He declined as he only had 60 pounds in his savings account-Aghh