Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2022, 12:09 PM   #21
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 3D Printing an Overdrive Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I pretty much agree. 3D printing is just another tool in the tool box. I would basically use it to duplicate parts that are already plastic of some sort like bakelite. As to it being slow - that is true but not a big problem. The knob takes about an hour to print but I just get it started and leave it and do something else. Earlier last summer I made my second version of a CNC Router/Laser with mostly printed parts. Some of the pieces took up to 17 hours to print so I just ran the machine basically 24/7 and used up almost 3 Kg of filament until it was done.

Regarding your pictures, I'm wondering if these are printed items. I have done some investment casting in aluminum but have not tried the "Lost PLA" investment casting which allows you to print a part in PLA and cast it in metal.

I have used pla as an investment with both good and poor results. Visible layers tend to be magnified during the investment process, and the difficulty of getting a fine surface on the down side where there are support layers limits the process. Best results happen with a pure pla, minimum infill, with no fillers or pigments that may be difficult to burn out when firing the ceramic shell. On the up side a pla investment is a lot stronger and tends not to break in oopsies that shatter a wax investment. Overall I have found molding the wax to be more efficient for me at this time. I have also seen where actual wax is 3d printed, though I understand it is difficult due to the wax filament being brittle and a relatively low melt structure.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #22
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Metals with any structural value simply are not happening, except for some aluminum requiring a 10+K printer.
Not happening at the hobbyist level, but can/does happen at the industrial level since the equipment to build such parts is incredibly expensive (six figures).

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #23
kirkf

3D Printing is available as a service in almost every city. That gives you access to the top level equipment without buying it.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #24
pistonbroke

Very nice Job on the OD knob. I'm curious about your choice of transmission. I did a OD conversion to a 51 F1 and to this day it is a flat head V8 freeway flyer. Tim PS. the OD lockout knob always goes on the right side of the wheel in fords.
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:02 AM   #25
Eagle43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Very nice Job on the OD knob. I'm curious about your choice of transmission. I did a OD conversion to a 51 F1 and to this day it is a flat head V8 freeway flyer. Tim PS. the OD lockout knob always goes on the right side of the wheel in fords.
I put in an R10. I think it came out of a Mercury car. Do you have a picture of an F1 dash with the OD knob in the factory location? I don't think Canadian F1s came with an OD or a six option. The guy I bought the transmission from had one himself in a 1952 F1 and I just copied his location.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote