Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #21
bbrocksr

Default Re: Sleeved 59AB Questions

That is factory relieved.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:17 PM   #22
bobH

There you have it.... the 59L on the bellhousing is what identifies. The 'AB' on the heads is not helpful, with regard to identifying the block. Good for you (IMO). Rumbleseat (Paul) was a fan of the '59L'. If his notes are still available here, you might find his info on the 59L to be interesting.
(In my opinion, I would have said in your original post, 'I found a cheap 59L', rather than a 59AB.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #23
Ron_r1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Bore it to 3 5/16” and be happy !
I agree pull the sleeves and bore it to the next appropriate size, it's a win-win solution, unless you are trying to not buy new pistons.
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #24
Bored&Stroked

I've always liked the 59L blocks - my first race engine came from Kenz-Leslie out of Denver and was a 59L. The relief is obviously a factory relief - which was typically done on trucks and other severe duty applications.

My guess is that when it was rebuilt, the rebuilder bored/sleeved it back to STD. Ford would also bore blocks and sleeve them to STD to save a block. I'd measure the sleeve thickness and determine what the bore would be if the sleeves were removed. What you don't know is if any of the cylinders have issues (underneath the sleeves) - you'll find out!

If it is under 3 5/16, then boring it to 3 5/16 would be my "goal" (depending on a mag test, pressure test and sonic test).

As noted, building a really nice 276 street engine would be great combination and give you a lot of torque and performance to boot. Best of luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #25
Ol' Ron

I ran several 59L blocks bored to 3 7/16, one is still on the road in a 40 coupe. It was built back in the late 80s and some of the pictures in my book are from that engine.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:44 PM   #26
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I ran several 59L blocks bored to 3 7/16, one is still on the road in a 40 coupe. It was built back in the late 80s and some of the pictures in my book are from that engine.
Gramps

Ron, i have a 59L block that was also bored to 3 7/16 and has a 4 1/8 stroke. The engine was built in the 50's by Reath Automotive in LA. Calif.

Last edited by 34fivewindow; 01-19-2022 at 01:41 AM.
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fivewindow View Post
Ron, i have a 59L block that was also bored to 3 7/16 and has a 4 1/8 stroke. The engine was built in the 50's by Reath Automotive in LA. Calif.
Joe Reath was my flathead mentor when I was growing up in SoCal in the 70's. He did the machine work on my first 59L block and taught me how to put it together (was 15 years old). When I raced at the Antique Nats at Irwindale, he'd jump in his big blue Lincoln and drive up to see me.

Joe was a very influential 'HotRod Dad' for me - always had time for my silly questions, let me run rampant through his shop, would introduce me to and go see his friends (Isky, Joe Hunt, Moon, Don Ferguson Sr., etc), take me to lunch at his favorite hamburger stand - such a nice guy.

Hard to imagine he had time for a young newbie flathead hotrodder . . . he was very generous with his time and knowledge.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:44 PM   #28
Elmo Rodge

Dale, I used to run into Joe at lunch when I worked in Paramount. Back to your previously scheduled program.
Wayno