Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
Branded
Senior Member
 
Branded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkville Indiana
Posts: 347
Default 1940 Tail Lights

Iím planning on purchasing new tail light assemblies for my 40 Sedan. Not looking to start a vendor bashing but, who makes the best assemblies that actually fit the contour of the fender. Iíve heard some donít fit very well and Iím only looking to purchase once.

Thanks for your feedback.
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,318
Default Re: 1940 Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded View Post
I’m planning on purchasing new tail light assemblies for my 40 Sedan. Not looking to start a vendor bashing but, who makes the best assemblies that actually fit the contour of the fender. I’ve heard some don’t fit very well and I’m only looking to purchase once.

Thanks for your feedback.
I don't think you have much choice.
I have attempted to install quite a few from Drake and have found every one requires some modification as they simply do not match the contour of the fender(s).
And yes, I have at those very moments fit authentic buckets in and every one of those fit perfectly.
I no longer buy repop and instead, restore what I have regardless of effort (time) required.
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
HDowse
Senior Member
 
HDowse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hancock, New Hampshire
Posts: 250
Default Re: 1940 Tail Lights

I bought one light from Joe's Antique Auto and it fit just fine. The rubber backing that goes on first took some persuading (stretching) so the chrome piece would fit but it’s good and tight.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
Branded
Senior Member
 
Branded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkville Indiana
Posts: 347
Default Re: 1940 Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I don't think you have much choice.
I have attempted to install quite a few from Drake and have found every one requires some modification as they simply do not match the contour of the fender(s).
And yes, I have at those very moments fit authentic buckets in and every one of those fit perfectly.
I no longer buy repop and instead, restore what I have regardless of effort (time) required.
I think Iíll take your advise, where did you buy new tail light sockets with straight across pin to accept 1154 6 volt bulbs or new pigtails that fit the existing sockets.
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,318
Default Re: 1940 Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded View Post
I think Iíll take your advise, where did you buy new tail light sockets with straight across pin to accept 1154 6 volt bulbs or new pigtails that fit the existing sockets.
Drake sells a kit that has the proper male / female and woven conduit. The wires and socket can be had from Carpenter. Drake may have them as well. I am not certain.
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
Branded
Senior Member
 
Branded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkville Indiana
Posts: 347
Default Re: 1940 Tail Lights

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Drake sells a kit that has the proper male / female and woven conduit. The wires and socket can be had from Carpenter. Drake may have them as well. I am not certain.
Iíve found the pig tails but havenít t had any luck locating the complete kit with sockets.
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
1931 flamingo
Senior Member
 
1931 flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: new britain,ct 06052
Posts: 8,702
Default Re: 1940 Tail Lights

Try C&G Ford in CA.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.