Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
50droptop

Default 1936 speedometer bouncing wildly

Yesterday while taking my daughter to softball practice, the speedometer starting bouncing and finally pegged. We were running along around 60 mph when suddenly I noticed it flutter a couple of times then immediately started bouncing wildly; moving from 60 to full rotation (stopped when it hit the peg). Seems it’s accurate below sixty, but at or above it goes bananas. Any ideas or thoughts on what could be the problem or how to fix? I’ve got almost 900 miles on the car after being off the road for some time. This speedometer is one that I purchased off eBay, I still have the original if I need it for parts.
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: 1936 speedometer bouncing wildly

Try cleaning and lubing the cable.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
tubman

Make sure that you use special speedometer cable lube. It is made. If you use the wrong stuff it can gum up the works or worse.

Be careful. I just lubed the cable on my '51 and it fixed it up fine, but the special lube can be messy to work with, Think "Never-Sieze".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
mcgarrett

Could be one of three things going on:
1). As has been noted - disconnect the cable, clean and lube it. Also make sure the it is sound and without damage at the ends.

2). The "turtle" speedometer drive bolted to the drive shaft that drives the cable could be running dry and worn out the gear. Remove the 2 bolts that hold it to the driveshaft and check that all the teeth are good, has plenty of grease, and spins freely.

3). If your speedometer is in original condition and has never been touched, could be that the drive mechanism (speedo head) needs to be lubed with a light oil. You will need to remove the speedo from the car, but don't have to take it apart. Looking on the back side of the mechanism itself, there is a tiny brass plug pressed into the cast pot metal housing of the speedo drive head that can be pried out with a small jewelers screwdriver and some patience. Gently work it our of its hole. Behind that little plug is a felt wick that is designed to hold light oil to keep the little shafts and gears lubricated. (3-in-1 household oil or sewing machine oil will work fine.) Make sure that felt wick is saturated with oil and gently press the little brass plug back in the hole and reassemble. I've done this procedure many times on old, dry speedos that operated erratically and they smoothed out and worked like brand new again.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
50droptop

All great info guys....I’ll give all 3 suggestions so far a try
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote