Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #21
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: The Jeffery Automobile Company

I do service work for a collector in Santa Cruz who has a 1914 Jeffery with the big 6 cylinder engine. It's an amazingly well engineered car. One of the fascinating aspects of it is the starter: The flywheel is wound as an armature, and the flywheel housing is wound with field coils. It has four 6volt batteries and a switch that you use to select whether they are connected in series for starting ( 24volts) and parallel for running at 6 volts. when you step on the starter, the engine just starts turning over, with no starter motor or ring gear noise. Its quite powerful too. I rebuilt the transmission and was super pleased with the attention to detail and the fine finishes to the machine work. Every nut and bolt is finely detailed and obviously made by hand. The owner is thinning his herd and told me he would sell it, as I was interested in it once. New, it was as expensive as a Cadillac. He is asking $125K for it, which is less than half what a '14 Cadillac would sell for. Its in concours condition, restored from a very low mileage original and has the optional Rudge wire wheels.

Last edited by pat in Santa Cruz; 02-10-2017 at 07:09 AM.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #22
ronn

Ron:

I get it now; So now the question go's out to everyone that owns one of these fine old cars.

What I was asking is this about how much do this cars go for now a days since they all sold for over a 1,000.00 new I was just wandering on how much they all go for now in todays market in the US.

Or where ever doesn't mater what country as it would be kind of neat to know what they all cost in different country's in todays market that is.

Reggiedog
Last edited by reggiedog; Yesterday at 03:25 PM.

with so few of them out there- it is very difficult to put a price on one.
but as I mentioned, just because it is rare, doesnt necessarily translate into value. Orphan type cars are all over the place.
As an example, A Tucker is extremely rare and goes well over a million. Cars from the mid teens dont have nearly the following, but of course an early Mercer raceabout can sell for a couple of million. A 1916 Mercer touring sold at the AACA auction at Hershey for 67k in the fall, which is a very desireable car. But since it is only the touring, has nowhere near the value of the raceabout...........

so it's anyones guess, but not as much as you might think.

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #23
reggiedog

Ron,

So it really could be anywhere in that price range or higher then that.

Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote