Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
sphooch

Default 31 roadster conv. Top iron question

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to install the L B top onto my roadster and I noticed when the top irons are in the folded position there is a small metal clip which looks as though it fits into the slot on the chrome section .Is that what this clip is for?? If so my clips are either facing the wrong way or the chrome bar has to go on the opposite side of the metal support, but the support has a square hole in it for the chrome bolt. I'd like to find out what the clips do before I start installing the top, Is it possible I have the chrome bar of the top iron on the wrong side of its support? mine are installed outboard of the support it looks as though they could go inboard , and then I could turn the chrome bolts around and install them from outside in . any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED AS ALWAYS . THANKS the hooch
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Dan Ewing

Default Re: 31 roadster conv. Top iron question

For starters, you didn't ask this but I'll answer - the top irons, left/right can only go on one way so there should be nothing wrong with the way your irons sit in the folded position.

The small right angle tab you mention inserts into the slot in the strut iron slot and serves to hold the assembly snug in the closed position.

You will have to pull the one strut out and past the adjacent strut in order to insert the tab into the slot to get it "hooked". So, in the initial folded (unhooked) position, it may appear to be facing the wrong direction.
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Patrick L.

I posted some pics quite some time ago of STD 31 top irons for someone. I must have deleted them, so I guess I can't help.
But, its as Dan says, the 'hook' fits into the slot on the other iron. And I think they do only assemble one way.
Maybe Deluxe irons are different in that respect though.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Dan Ewing

Sorry, but I may have made an error in semantics... I should have said;

"The small right angle tab you mention inserts into the slot in the strut iron slot and serves to hold the assembly snug in the top down position."
Dan Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote