Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
DadOfTwo

Default Gas tank storage prior to cleaning / sealing with o2 absorber

Hi all,

I've done some simple searches, and will continue to search the archives, but in the mean-time if someone has comments or can point me to a particular thread or post, I appreciate it.

At some point I need to clean and coat the inside of my gas tank, but it's going to be a while. I'm searching the forums to find the best method, and saving up money, but in the mean time I want to try to keep it from getting any worse.

Obviously I want to drain it. Then to limit ongoing rust I was thinking of 'hermetically' sealing the tank with a sacrificial metal inside. Kind of like zincs on a boat*.

From what I understand those pocket hand warmers contain iron filings. When you expose them to oxygen they generate heat. And in the process consume oxygen.

Some survivalists / prepper types put hand warmers in with their sealed up food to absorb the oxygen and help preserve the food.

Why wouldn't that work in a gas tank to impede the rusting process?

Obviously I would need to plan for a way to remove the sacrificial metal easily later.

And if you've read this far... I have a bunch of 0000 steel wool. Instead of buying handwarmers I may put some damp steel wool in a vented container that will fit in the tank.

*I do realize the marine example is galvanic corrosion, so not a perfect analogy.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Gas tank storage prior to cleaning / sealing with o2 absorber

Drain dry( old man sunshine works for free), silica in bags the stuff electronics are shipped with are free to when it changes color you can heat it up and reuse. I would just drain dry and store in a dry place
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
DadOfTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Drain dry( old man sunshine works for free), silica in bags the stuff electronics are shipped with are free to when it changes color you can heat it up and reuse. I would just drain dry and store in a dry place
I keep those silica dryers every time I get any, but unfortunately don't have any right now that are not in use. Maybe I need to buy some electronics

But now that you mention it, I think I have seen humidity absorbers you put in closets and stuff for sale at the home improvement stores, but they're too big to fit in a gas filler. Maybe repackaged? I'll have to look into that...

With regard to storing it in a dry place, I'm not sure there are any here in Austin. Or maybe that's just relative, since I, and my A, are displaced Coloradans.

Thanks for the tips.

Maybe, as Big Hammer implied, this is overkill?

I hesitate to add that I am thinking about doing something similar with the spare partial engine I just brought down from CO too. Hesitant because I haven't searched 'pickling' an engine yet. I think what I have is what is referred to as a 'short block?' Block with crank and pistons installed, no pan, head separate... Currently sitting on an engine stand with a big trash bag over it.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
JTW

Go to a boat shop (probably auto stores also) and get a can of misting oil. It is used to prevent rust in cylinders during storage and is a spray.