Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
36henry

Default Crank starting my 36

When I got my 36 Ford it came with a crank handle, never worried about it as the car was converted to 12 volts and has been reliable. Anyway I've been thinking I'd like to know how to crank start it so I can say I know how to do it but I remember stories my old dad used to tell me about how he used to crank start early cars he had, I always remembered that he said if you don't do it properly it can "kick back" and break your thumb

So anyone able to tell me how to do it, I did look at youtube but couldn't find anything.

It's almost like its a lost art.

Mick
36henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Crank starting my 36

Ita a snap have done it a few times,keep your thumb wrapped around the handle and start the crank around 12:30 position and push down.Dont try and pull it up. ken ct. SORRY WAS 100% WRONG ON THAT ONE. KEN CT.

Last edited by ken ct; 09-21-2012 at 01:53 AM.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Henryat1140

>>push down.Dont try and pull it up.

I'd like to gently disagree with Ken on this one. (no offense and not trying to start a flame war).

The generally accepted way is to pull upward on the crank not push down. If the engine kicks back when you are pushing down it will jam - and maybe break - your arm, as did many a model T. If you are pulling up and it kicks it will pull the crank out of your hand.

Whichever way you choose, DO NOT wrap your thumb around the crank; open your hand and grasp the crank in your palm, laying your thumb outside of the handle.

Make sure the car is in neutral too, with the handbrake on.

Maybe some of the guys here that have model t's will jump in.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryat1140 View Post
>>push down.Dont try and pull it up.

I'd like to gently disagree with Ken on this one. (no offense and not trying to start a flame war).

The generally accepted way is to pull upward on the crank not push down. If the engine kicks back when you are pushing down it will jam - and maybe break - your arm, as did many a model T. If you are pulling up and it kicks it will pull the crank out of your hand.

Whichever way you choose, DO NOT wrap your thumb around the crank; open your hand and grasp the crank in your palm, laying your thumb outside of the handle.

Make sure the car is in neutral too, with the handbrake on.

Maybe some of the guys here that have model t's will jump in.
Ken must be messing with someone.

Do not wear gloves and always pull up on the crank.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Gary in La.

Henryat1140 has got it right. I've had Model T's and growing up on the farm our tractors at that time all had cranks. Always pull up and never try to spin it over 360 with a crank.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
sturgis 39

Never wear gloves. They can wrap around the crank handle and you can not let go of the crank. The engine might start and twist your arm off.

Always pull up.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
J Franklin

A friend of Charles Kettering was killed due to injuries sustained by a kick back. This death spurred Kettering to invent the electric starter as used today. Retard the spark fully, pull up and not over the top, keep your thumb with your fingers!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Sorry i got it backwards fellas,been quite a few yrs since i started it that way,again my apoligies , hope nobody followed them. Ken ct. Boy was i wrong on that one.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
ken ct
BANNED

Unhappy Re: Crank starting my 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36henry View Post
When I got my 36 Ford it came with a crank handle, never worried about it as the car was converted to 12 volts and has been reliable. Anyway I've been thinking I'd like to know how to crank start it so I can say I know how to do it but I remember stories my old dad used to tell me about how he used to crank start early cars he had, I always remembered that he said if you don't do it properly it can "kick back" and break your thumb

So anyone able to tell me how to do it, I did look at youtube but couldn't find anything.

It's almost like its a lost art.

Mick
SORRY ON THAT ONE MICK GOT IT BACKWARDS. SEE LATER POSTS
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
bluestem

If you are right-handed, use your left hand. Retard spark, on T's about 5 clicks. Start at about 7-8 o'clock and pull UP. Let go about 12 o'clock. If you are right-handed and crank with your left hand; this makes your body/arms pull away from the crank when you release. My dad always said use the arm opposite your right/left dominate; so when you break it, you still have a good dominate arm!!!?? He was right !! Broke my left wrist doing the 360 thing with a model A when I was 18. Didn't know it was broken unit 40 years later with arthritis/carpel tunnel/hurts. I had a '23 T with no starter and always started easily with the crank; just sold it. Good videos on you-tube on this.
bluestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
bluestem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQWnaWLDeQ
bluestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
junk yard kid

And make sure the crank is all the way in. It will break free and you can skin you knuckles.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Seth Swoboda

Have you guys tried crank starting a V8? I have never tried it but it seems like it would be difficult to turn the engine over fast enough with a hand crank on a v8.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
thirt4

Now with all this information, IF it were me, I would find a "buddy" that I could con and explain that my shoulder hurt and ask him to do it for me using these directions. I would not tell him of the possible bad consequences I would just explain it to him how to do it and let him at it.
What a good buddy I am...
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
richard crow

ok you guya got it right except for a cold eng with the ign off pull choke out rotate eng a few times push choke in all the way now pull it out about a 1/4 of an inch put crank in rotate till you feel comp. turn ign on in nutrel with hand brake on & yes a v/8 is a lot harder to crank start then a 4 banger i think the purpose of the crank on the v/8 was mainley for mantance
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
36Bill

Seth, It is not the speed that does it. You only pull a quarter turn, never all the way around. If it fires it will start if you'r lucky.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Have you guys tried crank starting a V8? I have never tried it but it seems like it would be difficult to turn the engine over fast enough with a hand crank on a v8.
Ive done it a few times in the past ,not difficult to do at all,they dont have to turn very fast to start. ken ct.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Ken/Alabama

Think I will just stick with the electric starter and if it fails, roll it off.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
Lawson Cox

While it can be done, as per the video of the guy with the "T" shows, I would not try it because you can sure bugger up a grill crank hole if things don't go exactly right, and grills ain't cheap, not to mention doctor bills. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
V12Bill

My first car was a Model A and there was a guide for the crank that bolted to the front cross member with the spring U bolts. My 1939 PU has no guide other than the grille hole. Is that strong enough to guide the crank?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote