Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
OldGold360

Default Pickup box rivets and other details

Hello. I am hoping for some more help on my '36 pickup restoration. I am getting close to being able to reassemble my pickup box and will be doing so with rivets as Ford originally did. My question is regarding the rivets. I bought two different rivet kits from two different suppliers and they are identical, and comparing their size to the hole size of the originals, they are also incorrect. I am assuming larger diameter rivets are provided since most might drill the rivets out, potentially enlarging the holes in the process. This makes sense, but being as OCD as I am, i would like to use the factory size, even if it means filling enlarged holes and redrilling. The vast majority of the holes in my bed panels are still for 3/16" diameter rivets, 1/4" on the tailgate and a couple other places. I want to get this correct and seeking help from those of you that have a 1935 or 1936 pickup with a factory box and a camera.

Question: Does anybody have good reference photos of the type of rivets used, the location and the direction in which they were installed? (I did take pictures before disassembly, but cell phone issues since then have caused me to lose the ones that weren't backed up) PM me if it's easiest to email pictures.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help you may provide. I have been looking for good pictures for awhile now and figured it was time to ask since I am getting close to being able to reassemble the box.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by OldGold360; 02-10-2021 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Found answers and simplified my needs
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Pickup box rivets and other details

Did you check out Big Flats Rivets Co, (bigflatsrivet.com)? I have not used them yet, but was planning to get some rivets to reinstall my battery box on a 37 passenger car. You might give them a call with your questions, 607 562-3501.

I have only worked with aluminum rivets in the past, long ago in aviation school, and you want to have 1 1/2 diameter protruding before bucking (forming) the rivet. The hole should be pretty tight to the rivet so that the rivet fills it tightly when it is formed.

I enjoy your posts, sorry I can't be of more help.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
OldGold360

I appreciate the reply Zeke. I have done a fair amount of riveting, especially on early Harleys and Indians. I have bought rivets from McMaster Carr as well as Big Flats. I believe I have the correct size rivet setting tools, but just mainly wondering on the type of rivet in each location for them. From there I can determine the length and diameter. If someone knows factory part numbers, even better.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Even though Ford may have numbered the rivets, it's not likely that they sold many. In aviation, rivets are available in a large number of dash number lengths but for replacement rivets for automotive use, they are likely only available is a few different lengths for each diameter and head style. C&G and others sell them in kits but they don't elaborate about what type they are. Ford used round and brazer head rivets for the majority of body assembly applications and most are 3/16". I use a cutter that is a lot like a miniature bolt cutter to cut them near size then file or grind the shank to length using a minimum of heat generation in the process. It takes time but it's the best way to get the 1 to 1 1/2-inch of the rivet diameter protrusion. 1 1/2-D is the common protrusion length past the metal joint but they can be a tiny bit shorter and still do the job. If they're too long, there is a risk of them nailing over on you or club footing during driving.

Ford had nice big hydro pneumatic squeezers to do the job quickly. Most average DIY guys don't have that luxury. It is a must to convince a skilled friend to help during these processes. It might take a lot of beers to get there but at least it's do-able.

For length, you only need to know the total thickness of metal to be joined then add 1.5-D to it and it will get you in the ball park. To know the type of head design a person would need an original to look at if they are concerned about being exact. Maybe someone else can help more with that. Ford's body catalogs and body part lists left a lot to be desired on some models. My 1941 thru 52 body parts catalog only shows the cab with nothing on the bed.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
totto

I got my rivets from Mack Hills out of Moberly, MO. Mack Products They sell Ford pickup bed parts as well as rivets. Mack Hills also has a book on Ford pickup beds that is worth purchasing. I got all my pickup bed parts from Mack Hills.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
OldGold360

Thanks for the response Rotorwrench. That’s good info. I am experienced with riveting, but mainly want to get the correct style of rivets in the proper holes. I’ve been looking for good reference pictures but there isn’t much online or in this forum. I’ll keep looking. Thanks!

Totto, I also bought the rivet kit from Mack Hils and they are correct for their beds but not Ford beds. It’s the same exact rivet set I got from another supplier. I’m not wanting to drill out the holes larger to accommodate their rivets. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
OldGold360

I have found a couple answers to my questions but I would like some good reference photos of the tailgate hinge rivets on both sides and front and rear stake pocket rivets on both sides. I really do appreciate the help.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
rotorwrench

It took me a while to find good round head and brazer head rivet sets for the 3/16" rivets. Most of my sets are for the universal head style used in aviation. A person can modify a set to work for any type of rivet if they have a mill and the right diameter or radius mill bits. I made bucking bars with round head pockets for forming round buck tails when riveting frames back together. I have to hot rivet those though. They are too large a diameter to do it without some help. My 5X rivet gun only hits them so hard.

This was the only bed I could find:
https://forums.aaca.org/topic/264072...rd-pickup-bed/
Old 02-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
OldGold360

Thanks rotorwrench. It looks like I should have most the setting tools and bucking bars I need for the size and type of rivets. Glad I don’t need a 5X rivet gun though.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
Zeke3

With all the good looking pickups on this website, I am surprised that no one has come up with some rivet pictures for you.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The 35 & 36 commercials are not as plentiful as some. The 37 is even less plentiful.