Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Lona

Default Gilmore - how much time?

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Gilmore museum this summer. Can anyone who has been there give me an idea regarding how much time to allow to see not only the model A building but all of the other exhibits? We don't blow through car museums but take the time to really look at each car and read a good percentage of the written material on each. For example, an entire day from opening to closing was needed to go through the Auburn/Cord/Dusey museum two years ago just looking at the cars themselves and not including the engineering/advertising material area.

At this pace and including time for lunch, is one full day sufficient at Gilmore or is it better to plan two days? I know this question is rather subjective and dependent on physical condition of us old folks but some general guidelines would be helpful.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Jerry Kzoo

Default Re: Gilmore - how much time?

There are over 300 cars on display in about a dozen different buildings with a fair amount of walking to cover it all. If you can spare two days then you will be able to spend the time you want at each building. Some people cover it in two hours, but I am sure they do not get to all there is to see and take in. This last Summer the Lincoln and Cadillac Museums opened which has added to the attraction. Additionally, if you go to the Gilmore website you can access the schedule for the Summer which includes many weekend shows that attract up to an additional 800-1000 cars or motorcycles to see on the show field!!

Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
springerpete

You will be there a looooooooong time. If you do as your description says, it will be a 3 day stay. But, that is good 'cause you'll be able to eat 3 times at the old diner. I've been there twice and the Caddy and Lincoln buildings were not yet open. It is a beautiful area with lots of big trees and grassy areas. PLenty of benches to rest on and think back on what you have just seen.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
JackA

Do they rent electric scooters?
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

I have not seen any scooters there, but the website may shed more light on that. I think two healthy days would be required to get through everything and be satisfied.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I would take your time, enjoy a lunch there and rest as needed, and I think you can cover it pretty well in a full day. You'll probably take a lot of pictures in the Model A building alone. I took several of the cutaway Model A running gear.

I haven't been to the ACD museum yet in Indiana, but need to take that in the next time I get through that area.

Not too far from the Gilmore Museum is the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, Indiana. I spent 4 hours there and took 125 pictures. It well worth the senior $6 addmission price.

The first 3 pictures are of the Benz at the Gilmore, and the 4th picture is a 1953 Studebaker Champion in the Studebaker Museum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benz1.jpg (79.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Benz2.jpg (65.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Benz3.jpg (65.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SM74.jpg (48.9 KB, 49 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
joncrane

Lona
Figure a day in Southbend Ind for the Studabaker and Oliver Museum, then drive and hour and a half easterly to the Gilmore for two days in Kalamazoo, then an hour or two south to Auburn for a day or two at the ACD Museums, then drive 3 hours easterly to Dearborn for two full days at the Henry Ford, Greenfield Village and the Rouge, then another couple of days seeing the Paquette Plant, Edsel Ford Home, Henry Ford Home, Meadowbrook Hall, Stahl Museum, Detroit Institute of Arts and a few other Detroit places and you will have spent a good week beginning to get familiar with the automotive region.

You could spend another day antiquing and driving around se Michigan looking at Henry Ford's dams and village industries. Packard Proving Grounds, Arsenal of Democracy Museum, GM Heritage Center, Marysville and Wills St Clair Museum and on and on.

I have lived here for 40 years and l continue to discover neat automotive places to visit.
joncrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Jerry Kzoo

They do not rent electric scooters there although many people that visit have them and use their own. I think there are 4-5 wheelchairs there for people that want to use them. I know that we got two for the Model A Museum and just put them by the Gift Shop for anyone to use. I think there is a fear that if someone would get in a motorized wheelchair they are not used to they might "crash" into one of the cars.

Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Great Lakes Greg

Jerry has a valid point with the crashing scooter scenario. Hardly any of the cars are roped off or have any barriers around them. A museum employee told us that they want people to get right up to the cars and stick they're heads in the windows if they wish.
They are counting on people being respectful of the property.
I commend them greatly on that approach.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
MrBruce

We stopped in last summer to see the Ford Museum, didn't plan to see all the other cars on display, but took them in with the time we had. If you take your time it would easily take two days. Lots of great things to see.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
Lona

Thanks to you all for recommending how much time to spend at Gilmore. Lona and I are quite mobile and won't need an electric scooter, although it might be fun to race each other outside the exhibit buildings. It appears scheduling two days there would be wise.

There are apparently a number of other auto related sites to see in the same area as pointed out by several replies and we may visit some of them as time allows. We will be at Notre Dame in South Bend in June for our 54th Peace Corps reunion and, hopefully, will have time to get to the Studebaker museum.

Thanks again for your input.

Glen
Old 01-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncrane View Post
Lona
Figure a day in Southbend Ind for the Studabaker and Oliver Museum, then drive and hour and a half easterly to the Gilmore for two days in Kalamazoo, then an hour or two south to Auburn for a day or two at the ACD Museums, then drive 3 hours easterly to Dearborn for two full days at the Henry Ford, Greenfield Village and the Rouge, then another couple of days seeing the Paquette Plant, Edsel Ford Home, Henry Ford Home, Meadowbrook Hall, Stahl Museum, Detroit Institute of Arts and a few other Detroit places and you will have spent a good week beginning to get familiar with the automotive region.

You could spend another day antiquing and driving around se Michigan looking at Henry Ford's dams and village industries. Packard Proving Grounds, Arsenal of Democracy Museum, GM Heritage Center, Marysville and Wills St Clair Museum and on and on...
And when you have seen all that, slip on over to Tacoma and take in the LeMay Museums (yes, there are several, too many cars to show all in one place)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
steve s

Prepare to be impressed, especially by the full access to cars, short of touching or climbing in.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
Midwest Tin

Hi,
You may what to consider waiting until late Sept. for the Model A Meet at the Gilmore. It also has an excellent swap meet. I do not know the dates yet for this year but I'm sure it will be posted on the FB or the MARC site. I would plan on two full days. Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Lona

Thanks, Guys. The Gilmore trip is scheduled to coincide with a national dog show the first week of August in Frankenmuth, Mich. so we'll stop in Gilmore on the way to or from the dog show. Hopefully, we'll have time to see some of the other auto exhibits as well.

Glen
Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
BlueSunoco

Lona.... the last Hemmings Classic Cars had an article about your '88 Fiero check it out! Pretty good!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #17
Lona

Blue,

Thanks for the tip. I don't subscribe to "Classic Cars" but will try to find that issue. The Fiero got a bad name with problems on the early models but the '88 GT is a fine car with few problems. It's mid-engine six with plastic body panels makes it light and fast and it corners like a real race car. For some reason, perhaps the early problems, they don't bring much money. For $3 to $4,000 you can pick up a nice one and have a lot of fun with it. And, parts are still available.

Glen