Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
29Otis

Default Wood Kits

I am looking to buy a complete wood kit for my 1929 Steelback Fordor. I have seen a couple different sites that sell them, which company has the best kit available?
29Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Wood Kits

There are only two manufacturers that I know of. Fordwood and classic wood. Nobody seems to be able to get a response from Fordwood but Classic seems to answer calls.

www.fordwood.com for Ford Wood and
Classic Wood Manufacturing (336) 691-1344 (North Carolina)
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Skibb

Otis, there are a couple of threads on this subject in recent months use your search to find them. A team of us replaced all the wood in a 1930 3 window sedan last summer. The wood kits might be said to get the job done but the work involved in making all the pieces fit is hard. You'll need a Belt Sanded plus a host of tools to cut, chip, sand and contort the wood to fit your A. The Wood sellers make a kit yes. IMO, in any other business their product would be labeled a failure given the money they charge and the impossible fit they deliver.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Terry,NJ

I made some of my wood on my Town Sedan and it was a challenge. This was in the area that is referred to as the "Body Wood". The total wood cost for a 155d is over $4000. Much of the dimensions were figured by establishing center and working off that or some other point of reference. These pieces are very complex with odd little angles that can't be overlooked, they must be duplicated. This job is not for the careless or the fainthearted. If you have duplicatable (is that a word?) parts, you may get a local cabinetmaker to reproduce many of them. They're not all hard. For a glimpse of what I did, go to "My 30 TS" and see.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
john charlton

Ford Wood do not seem to answer their phone but replied quickly to my email . The email address is on their site.

John in cool dull morning where is Mr Sunshine Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Dennis Pereira

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I bought my wood kit for my 29 standard coupe from Bratton's . I think it was mfg by classic wood . It took some fitting but if you like working with wood not that big of a problem . No kit is plug and play . There was nothing left in my coupe to use for a pattern . The hardest piece to fit was the header a lot of extra wood on that piece .
Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
snagglewhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Ford Wood do not seem to answer their phone but replied quickly to my email . The email address is on their site.

John in cool dull morning where is Mr Sunshine Suffolk County England.
Same here. I was looking for just a couple of pieces (not a full kit). It took a couple of days for them to reply to my email, but they did get back to me. When I called Classic Wood, they picked up fairly quickly.
snagglewhen is offline   Reply With Quote