Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default New Pickup Beds

I am finally moving to the body work on my 40/41 pickup. After looking at the bed, I can't find a single straight panel, so I'm thinking of just buying a new one. I find them at Mack Products and Northern Classic trucks. Both offer them in parts or fully assembled. Mack's prices are significantly higher. Are their beds worth the higher price? How difficult are they to assemble? Do they require rivits or just nuts and bolts to assemble.

I'm also in need of a floor pan. Can anyone comment on the quality of the available floor pans. I have a spare cab with good floor pans, so could cut out and use that if the new pans are not very good.

If anyone wants the left over bed, let me know otherwise it goes to the metal recycler. The spare cab may be up for grabs too.
Thanks,
Larry Young
Tulsa, OK
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Cecil/WV

Default Re: New Pickup Beds

I used Northern Classic Trucks for all my panels and a bed for my '40 pickup. I don't know a thing about Mack products, but as far as I am concerned, they can't be any better than NCTrucks. I picked my bed up at his shop and saw his operation. Very particular!

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 09-10-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add on
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Ken Crans

I second that... Todd has the best fit panels out there. I watched him stamp out my tailgate. That was cool. The rivits can be a pain, but fully assembled is the way to go. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

Bruce Horkey's Wooden Parts is another source although I wonder if he makes his own or gets them from Northern Classic .......
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Roger/Sacramento

On my '41 pickup I was going to save money and straighten out my beat up bed.......whoa, did I spend enough hours to build a house. And my body guy put some time in too. I finally told him to stop. Not happy how it turned out. Those flat panels are a real chore. Never again.
Be careful on replacing the cab floor. Mine had been repaired somewhat and when I went to mount it on the frame it was not at the right elevation and it caused me real problems with the front sheet metal alighnment and I had to trim the wood that goes between the cab and frame. That ran up the hours also. Because the cab, fenders and running boards all tie in together everything has to be right. Good luck

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Cecil/WV

I braced my cab real good before I cut anything off and also made tons of measurements and took four time as long as I should have before welding anything, but when it was all over, I was able to fit everything together perfect and it turned out really well. I replaced everything from the firewall(used), toe boards, floor except the section under the seat, rockers, cab mounts cowl sides and all around the cab lower sections. I had never taken on a project of this magnitude before and it was a real treat to see it completed. All the panels do need to be trimmed and fit together to some degree, but that is the fun part. When it was all done and I was ready to install the transmission, also from NCT, it wouldn't go down right. After some inspection, I found the edge was turned down further than the gasket was thick and I ground the edge so the gasket would fit and it dropped right in place.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

I have a Mac Hils bed on my 35. Very pleased.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Krylon32

Assembled Mac Hils beds are the best. IMO
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
41LjH

I emailed Mac Hills about parts for my 41.Their response was they did not know if their parts would fit my bed because they were made for their beds. So I ordered from NCT. Just received a tailgate, rear panel and stake pocket. FANTASTIC. I believe they make parts for several suppliers. Fit and finish are superior and the price is reasonable. Barbara is very nice and knows what she is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
kp4150

I've heard good things about NCT and I've assembled a Mack Hils bed. Mack Hils makes a fine product ... they sent rivets but as mine was not intended to be a stock restoration, I welded my components. My only (mild) complaint was there were virtually no instructions for assembly - only a very general illustration. The assembly is mostly straightforward and in the end, I was very happy with the result (see pic in my 40/41 PU Album)... but a bit more info. would have helped ease a few 'bumps' in the process.
kp4150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
jsemple6392

Northern Classic is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Good luck with your project!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Philip McCarty

I have an assembled bed from Mac Hils on my 31 wide bed. Perfect fit very happy.
Philip McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41LjH View Post
I emailed Mac Hills about parts for my 41.Their response was they did not know if their parts would fit my bed because they were made for their beds. So I ordered from NCT. Just received a tailgate, rear panel and stake pocket. FANTASTIC. I believe they make parts for several suppliers. Fit and finish are superior and the price is reasonable. Barbara is very nice and knows what she is doing.
A friend of mine ordered SEVERAL parts from Mac Hills to repair his 36 pickup bed and they all fit like a glove. He is still #1 IMHO

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
James Phillips

Larry, since you live in Tulsa, you might want to check out Mar-k pickup beds in Okla. City. They are close enough for you to drive and pick up and save a bunch on shipping cost.
James Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote