Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default Plans for the 30

Going to convert to 12 volt going with neg ground, Add turn signals, And a Mitchell tranny. Need help what parts I'm going to need for the 12 Volt conversion Also the best or better Turn signal kit to buy. I Now have a 6 volt 1 wire alternator now. Where to get 12v alternator?
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Plans for the 30

Take your present alternator to any Starter/Generator Electrical shop and get them to replace the regulator with a 12v unit. The ignition coil and the light bulbs are the two items that will need to be changed. I prefer the Tickin-in Thru Time turn signal kit.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I think you changing to 12v is foolish when it already has an operable electrical system.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The ignition coil and the light bulbs are the two items that will need to be changed.
Brent - doesn't one also need to consider the horn, windshield wiper (if electric) and starter as well? These are all 6V motors.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #4
Badpuppy

I agree with Brent - A 6V alternator will handle everything on a stock A. The only trouble is finding any accessories that work with 6V positive ground.

JayJay also points out the motors must be converted to 12V, although a lot of 6V starters have survived abuse for many years.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
I agree with Brent - A 6V alternator will handle everything on a stock A. The only trouble is finding any accessories that work with 6V positive ground.
Amazing what "accessories" we have developed that are now necessities. Things like cell phone, GPS, cabin fans, MP3 players and speakers, two-way radios and the like. I have 6V in both my cars, but carry a 12V brick with a USB output to power the 12V accessories. There are also 6V USB converters you can install for the same purpose if you'd like.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Jordan

I have had 12v for 10 years on one car, and the other car that I acquired has been 12 volts for 30 years. I would never go back to 6v unless I was doing a show car, but I'm also not a purist. Out of the 6 model A's my family has, not one is 6v and we have never had any electrical issues or regrets. Anyone who is going to be driving their car regularly in today's world has a convenience factor to consider as a main reason to switch to 12v.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Brent - doesn't one also need to consider the horn, windshield wiper (if electric) and starter as well? These are all 6V motors.

JayJay
Twice I read where the original poster used the word 'need'. I took it he was looking items that he must replace. IMHO, the present coil will be short-lived on 12 volts. The same with his headlight and tail lamp bulbs. Now, his wiper should be a vacuum wiper so that should not be affected. The starter is no biggie as for many years prior to new 12v field coils being made, many used the 6v starter on 12v without any issues. As for the horn, it really does not 'need' to be converted to 12v to operate. A few clicks of the adjustment screw will slow it down, and most need to be rebuilt anyway where the extra jolt of voltage helps them get spinning. If the O/P is concerned though, he can use the 1.5 ohm ignition coil he removed to be a voltage reducer for his horn.

With regard to needing 12v accessories, I (-like many others) charge my cell phones and run my GPS when on tour with my 6 volt battery and charging system. The only reason I can think of for needing a 12v system is if you are in Jordan's part of the country where an A/C system has been retrofitted to the vehicle. For me, all my brass-era up to Model-As are all open cars, ...so I let Mother Nature be the 'fan'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post

JayJay also points out the motors must be converted to 12V, although a lot of 6V starters have survived abuse for many years.

This really is not an issue, but even if it has someone concerned, switching the polarity is a simple thing to do. Remove the 6v battery and rotate it 180° and reconnect the cables. The biggest thing that often gets overlooked in this is changing the polarity of the ignition coil which just switching the two primary wires to the opposite terminal. If using a stock generator with a stock cut-out, then just re-flashing the generator generally allows the generator to correctly charge. If someone is using the diode-equipped positive ground cut-out, then switching to a Model-T 6v generator cut-out cures that. Then just reverse the polarity on the Ammeter and you should be set. The starter and the lights do not worry with polarity from my experiences.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
Synchro909

I run 12 v on all of my Model As. Changing the obvious coil, globes, dropping resistor for the horn and converting the starter to 12 volts are about all that is required. EASY!
Before I converted the first one, I considered the availability of parts in remote areas and about 3,000 miles into the next trip, we were in a smallish town and the coil failed. I was able to buy a new 12 volt one easily but I think I'd still be there if I had to have a 6 volt one. I got to like 12 v so much I then converted the others.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #10
Chris in WNC

agree with Brent that 12V is totally unnecessary.

our Town Sedan starts quick, the lights are bright and the horn sounds perfect.

all with an el-cheapo 6v battery from Tractor Supply or O'Reillys (whoever has the best deal when I need to replace).

There are enough more neccessary projects always waiting that I would never consider a 12V conversion.

GPS and cell phone charger will work on anything over 5v......