Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Dave1931Pickup

Default Turlock

Just got home from the Turlock swap meet. This was my 40th year of attending. It was just as big as ever. Weather was great, no rain or fog. Parking at a premium like always. The only bad thing about it was the lack of Model A parts. As everybody knows the used original parts pool is drying up.Yes there were some Model A parts but I either did not need that one or it was in worse shape than the one I have. Our hobby is fast moving towards using the poor quality reproduction parts available.
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Dennis Pereira

Default Re: Turlock

No pics did anyone else go ?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
SteveB31

Original Model A parts are still everywhere, just not at swap meets. People sell them on the internet instead of swap meets. Carrying parts over and over to swap meets to sell them is becoming a thing of the past.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
1ton

Yes...In the days before the web, the only way to buy or sell parts were through swap meets or Hemmings. For me, half the fun of old cars and trucks was the thrill of the hunt for that special part your looking for. Or loading up the truck/trailer to take to a load of parts to a local or major annual swap meet to wheel and deal with people for a day or two for the chance to go home with much less than what you brought. Now, like everything else, the purchase or parts is done from an armchair or cellphone. Those were the days my friends.
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
al's28/33

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I got there at 6:30am on Saturday to wait in line nearly an hour to park in the fairgrounds lot. That wasn't too bad. Weather was GREAT!! I saw Model "A" horns, gennys, carbs, fenders, rims, bumpers, hoods, headlights, tail lights, radiator shells, doors and a whole lot of other things. Nothing called out to me to take it home unfortunately. And I did not see any Holy Grails of rare items either. I've had my Phaeton since 2001 and I must say even on epay there are as not as many items as there was 18 years ago. Perhaps these things go in phases and the next generation will see more parts around as the old timers pass on and families sell off cherished vintage autos to rodders looking to part-out the guts. Who knows. I had fun just walking up and down the isles and seeing what folks had and talking with sellers and other looky-loos to enjoy a day out in the open air.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote