Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default Hood alignment

Aligning the model a ford hood on my 1929 coupe. My hood is 1/2 inch away from the cowl on the passenger side and 1/4 inch away from the radiator shell on the driver side. Any suggestions? Jeff

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-18-2018 at 08:32 AM.
jkeller@nerej.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Hood alignment

We have a 1929 Sport Coupe that we have owned for 40 years.

In all that time, I have never been able to adjust it to fit as some people would say it needs to be.

Our problem could be from an accident to the divers side front end many, many, years ago. Long before our ownership.

Frame and front end has been measured and checked by a number of people. Just will not line up. Still wins at local shows. Enjoy.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Aligning the model a ford hood on my 1929 coupe. My hood is 1/2 inch away from the cowl on the passenger side and 1/4 inch away from the radiator shell on the driver side. Any suggestions? Jeff
The item I found that can help is the radiator can be moved slightly! This can help a little, if the car has not been in an accident, Next check the hood pivot points for accuracy! One of them is closer to one side of the car than the other.
Have no idea how to tell you to measure, first thing that comes to mind is string from the pivot to a ref point!

If the car is straight and the hood is in good shape, it should be able to be made to fairly right with some TLC. Let us know what you find out!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you can get Les Andrews Green book, there is a section with dimensions on hood alignment. Part of the process is raising or lowering the front cowl body bolts, the radiator support rods length and the radiator height / shifting sideways / shifting front to back slightly. Also, on the '30'31's (not sure about the '29's,) the rear of the center hood hinge retainer can be adjusted sideways which will help.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
hazelhoff

I encountered the very same problem. Drivers side too wide, passenger side ok. Ended up 'slotting' the whole in the frame for the radiator bolt. Just fine ! Now I am able to adjust the radiator position.
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
[email protected]

You were right, some TLC did the job. I placed a second flat washer under the Cowl hood rod support on the driver's side and was able to adjust the radiator rod nuts up front to align the hood. All was well until I filled the radiator. That was when I discovered a leak in it's gasket. But now I know I can make the same adjustments again and things should be fine. Thanks for your input.
jkeller@nerej.com is offline   Reply With Quote