Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Randy in ca

Default Roof material preservative

An acquaintance recently took possession of an all original '33 Fordor, just out of long term storage and in excellent condition. The roof material is still in very good condition, fairly pliable, etc.. Any recommendations on using any kind of treatment/preservative?
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: Roof material preservative

I know they used to sell 'top dressing' but I haven't seen it for a long time. Most tops will last a long time now just because they don't sit outside much anymore. Also, back in the old days people could afford top dressing easier than recovering the top.
Sorry to not be much help in finding what you are looking for, but personally I wouldn't worry about it if it is in good shape.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
TJ

Be careful of putting anything on that top. It may have an adverse reaction to the old top material.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The old OEM roof coverings for closed cars were basically either a rubberized cloth material or a pyroxylin (nitrocellulose) coated cloth but with so many years passed since 1933, it may have already been recoverd one or more times. The more modern materials are generally a vinyl coated material more similar to a modern vinyl top except with reduced thickness. Due to this, it would be hard to tell you what to use to rejuvenate it a bit. There are vinyl dressings available that you can try. Griots & others have vinyl top dressings. If it's original, I don't know what would be the best thing. Rubber & nitrocellulose starts deteriorating from day one and then eventually crumbles to dust.

The old black top dressings are no longer available but they were a mess to deal with anyway. There are modern vinyl paints to re-coat or change color of vinyl based trim but those could only be used on cleaned & prepped vinyl. Black Shinola shoe wax might work for all I know. If you try a vinyl top dressing, just do a small less conspicuous spot first and see how it works. Model 40 closed cars should have a cobra grain material that is only available in black but only the model 40 EFV8 book or persons who have more experience with them than I do could tell you for sure.

Some folks say that the 303 Aerospace Protectant works good on vinyl but I've never tried the stuff. Folks that use it say to protect your painted and glass surfaces well. I don't know what it does to glass or paint but I'll take their word for it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-12-2016 at 01:06 PM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Randy in ca

OK, thanks for all the info. Next time I see the car I'll try to get some good close up photos of the material to maybe help determine if it is indeed the original stuff. Thanks again.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
1942deluxe

Bought 3 cans of Ford "WATER REPELLENT SOLUTION" (Clear) M 1205 B from the parts the Early Ford V8 foundation had for sale at Hershey. I'd be afraid to try the contents on anything but I think that was what was used back in the day. There was a 8A part number written on two of the cans which would be a 1949ish number.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote