Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
SeaSlugs

Default Emergency lever to intermediate shaft rod

Need to know what the correct length rod that goes between the emergency brake hand lever and the "cross-shaft/intermediate" shaft is.

I have:
March 1929 AA truck standard 131" wheelbase
standard 3 speed car trans with lever in FRONT of shifter
that is coupled to a dual high then to the rearend

What I'm calling an intermediate/cross-shaft is the short foot wide bar where the 2 rods from the rear drums attach to right above the rear U joint. The shaft from the trans lever connects to this foot wide shaft.

What i do know about the rod i seek is it is completely non adjustable, 2 prong on one end and single eye on the other. Mine was brazed back together (badly mind you) about 4 times in different spots and and bent more than a coat hanger. Ended up having to cut it to remove it. Dont even know how that shaft got so much torture but it did.

ModelAKid of the AA truck forum said it needs a 29 11/16" rod, I don't know where he got this information but sounds correct judging from memory and the 'ol eyeball. I'm not criticizing him or doubting him I'm just curious if there is a published list somewhere otherwise I'll go by what he says.

I called Berts and he went and checked, said he had all kinds of the rods and said he grabbed about 8 different kinds and all different lengths...I said i would get back with him with a definate measurement but would like to buy the correct one the first time.

I appreciate it!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Emergency lever to intermediate shaft rod

The parts book shows two AA-2853-AR 1928-29 29 11/16" and
AA-2853-CR 1929 28".

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Emergency lever to intermediate shaft rod

Hmm

I do know Crosscuts 29 AA (identical to mine) is built in January and his emergency lever is on the left side of the cab, mines a March of 29 and is in front of the shifter.

I'm betting the AA-2853-AR rod is for the handle on the left side of the cab since it covers all of 1928 (which all had it left side of cab) VS AA-2853-CR which my guess would be the changeover to the lever in front of the shifter in 1929.

Anyone agree that I would need a 28" rod as per Bob C's book? I gotta get me one of them books...

Also when they say 28" they mean end to end not eye to eye correct?

Thanks a bunch!