Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
RB

Default 32 ford ooga horn

I have an excellent sounding model 'A' ooga horn which I would like to mount in the original position on the front fender of my 32 however the rear motor portion is too long to clear the hood & fender, originally thought the 32 boat tail cover was the answer but is too shallow. Has anyone converted a 32 boatail horn to ooga by chance ?
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: 32 ford ooga horn

I looked into it a really long time ago. I think the solution was to move the mounting holes so the brushes were vertical. I am not at all sure that was the solution or the only problem.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
Newc

Also there are two mounting stands for that horn- one is about 3/4" taller. further a Model A motor horn does not have the same hole pattern as a '32. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
DavidG

The '32 horn with a tapered rear cover is a motor-driven horn (i.e. Aoogha). The later '32 horn with a round cover is a vibrator horn (i.e. Beeep). Each has its own unique bracket, the latter being the taller of the two for clearance purposes. As Newc points out, the hole pattern on the horn center section that attaches to the mounting bracket is different on the '32 version compared to the Model A version. (I can be altered by filling the Model A holes and adding the '32 attachment holes.)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The '32 horn with a tapered rear cover is a motor-driven horn (i.e. Aoogha). The later '32 horn with a round cover is a vibrator horn (i.e. Beeep). Each has its own unique bracket, the latter being the taller of the two for clearance purposes. As Newc points out, the hole pattern on the horn center section that attaches to the mounting bracket is different on the '32 version compared to the Model A version. (I can be altered by filling the Model A holes and adding the '32 attachment holes.)
As David said, there are two horn brackets for 32's Pictured above. The second picture would be the bracket you would need. NEXT couple of pictures is of my "Bosch" horn for my 32 which is "similar" in shape to a Model A horn and sounds as IF the Model A and the Bosch horn have a similar issues AS the hole spacing is slightly off. In my case I clamped the bracket to the horn and had the holes drilled (which slightly enlarged the holes in the horn, aligned them as well) and in my case also enlarged the holes in the bracket as they were slightly smaller than the 6mm bolts from the Bosch.....I was able to accomplish three processes with two holes drilled!!!! Hopefully this helps you!!! AS David also noted with his information on the "two" horns for 32, It would be easiest to just get the "BF" horn (more commonly known as the "boat tail" and you will accomplish the same thing as a Model A horn!!! AND 32 correct and should not be too difficult to acquire and NOT have to modify anything
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32Hornbrckt1.jpg (22.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 32tallhornBrckt1.jpg (52.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg BoschCOverFab10.jpg (42.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BoschhornConv3.jpg (36.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 03-29-2021 at 09:57 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
BoxCar Tom

model A horn motor section must be rotated 90 degrees and new holes drilled so as to use the 32 horn mount.

Last edited by BoxCar Tom; 03-29-2021 at 10:19 AM.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Try to find a swap in the wanted or for sale section. Probably easier than modifying yours.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
RB

Thanks guys for all the input, I see Mac's among others can provide the tall bracket for the motor driven horns, however can I assume all the boat tail 32 horns are the ahooga type ?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Thanks guys for all the input, I see Mac's among others can provide the tall bracket for the motor driven horns, however can I assume all the boat tail 32 horns are the ahooga type ?
YES, the "boat tail" will not fit a CF OR Beep Beep horn!!! The "BF" or boat tail should be fairly easy to come by, both here on the barn or on EPay. YOU can always ask for a picture with the "boat tail" removed before you "buy" to double check.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #10
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Not sure which bracket you were looking at on "Mac's" site BUT unfortunately NONE that he shows stocking are the 100% "Correct" bracket. There "May" be one he listed that you "might" be able to make work BUT that would be all "Mac's" has to offer!!! Look again at the photo's, you should be able to see how this bracket shifts the horn to the left and forward more!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32Hornbrckt2.jpg (39.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 32Hornbrckt1.jpg (22.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 32tallhornBrckt1.jpg (52.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 32tallhornbrckt2.jpg (55.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
DavidG

And most importantly, upward.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
And most importantly, upward.
My BAD David!!!!
Old 03-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
RB

Thanks for the horn & bracket clarification, I did note the length difference of the online brackets offered & it's a correct assumption my thoughts were it would be something to work with, however I'll ck with the other area 32 owners before proceeding.
On a different note (no pun intended) we're talking a 12 volt system (sorry) & have seen several comments regarding shunts, relays, & the reworking of the horn proper...what is the best approach ?
Old 03-31-2021, 12:06 PM   #14
rockfla

You might run it past Alan Greenleaf here on the barn, he's the "sparton" guy and most likely could convert it OR at least let you know IF it can be and or what it takes!!!!
Old 04-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #15
32phil

If I remember correctly there was an article in the V8 Times about Modifying a Model A horn to mount as a 32 boat tail.
I think it was in the late 70's maybe the early 80's
look in the directory of articles etc.