Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Roll down Coupe window

I just bought a 31 coupe with a roll down rear window. It doesn't want to move from the fully up position. Where do I start, and what am I looking for? This is my first 31 of any type, supposedly a de luxe. I know this was discussed and I would love to find the old threads on de luxe coupes. Not too savvy here, so I haven't been able to do that. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Dave Mc Arthur
Danville, CA
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
cp5491r

Default Re: Roll down Coupe window

They work on a regulator that may need lubrication or perhaps the gear is stripped, locked up, broken spring, etc. They do tend to take effort to roll up and down. Did you try rocking the t-handle back and forth and see if it unsticks? Probably will have to remove interior fabric to service it.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
daveymc29

I tried only once to move it. It seemed to reach a point that something would be damaged if I applied more force. I have lost some feeling in my hands with the result being I cannot gauge my strength, the amount I am applying, so I tend to chicken out now. That is after some broken bolts and stripped threads, but a couple of friends that had looked at the car also said the window mechanism seemed "stuck." Is it a big deal to access the mechanism? If so I may just let it be and enjoy the drives with that window up. There is a trunk, so it's not like I need it down to talk to someone back there.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
cp5491r

It's been a lot of years since I restored mine (1980's) but I believe the only way to access it is through the cab and requires you remove the seat and the rear lining under the window.
One other thing you might try is applying downward pressure on the glass itself while lightly trying the handle. That might help the regulator (or perhaps the glass has just stuck to the window seal after many years).
Good luck with it.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

There are a multitude of possibilities. If you want to drive the coupe to Livermore I'll take a look. I'm quite familiar and should be able to guide you in the right direction with pros and cons.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
daveymc29

Marco, I'll do that when I'm legal to be on the street with it. Right now it has been last registered in 2011, so tomorrow I'm going to try AAA. Thanks.