Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #21
banjoQ

Default Re: A rainey night in Olga

Thanks for the video tour of your shop! I have admired your woodie project since it was a work in progress. Now I am suffering a case of workshop envy. The music track had me thinking of Reno and Smiley at first. Rickey Scaggs sounds about right too. He was influenced by many of the old timers. Good for you, you’re a lucky man.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #22
corvette8n

Hey Gary thanks for the tour, I liked and subscribed your video, watching for more.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Once again, thank for all the nice comments. Thanks to Mart I think I have the correct full length video on my computer. Problem is, for some reason I have two youtube accounts now. My original was 'garymtpickett'. It has about 12-14 videos going back maybe 8 years and 260 something subscribers.
My last 4 videos, the spoon-honed kingpins, the H six running and this latest Rainey Night are all on a new channel 'Gary Sisson'. It has three subscribers (thanks guys!) and those new clips. I can see my old channel by searching for one of it's videos, '1947 ford one ton panel' for instance, but when I click on the icon for 'create' anything new still transfers to that new guy, which is also me. In the old days I would have looked up old 'BJ Google' in the yellow pages, called him and asked him to switch a few plugs on the switchboard and get my old channel back. I just don't see that happening...... Any Ideas? Mart? I just want my old channel back.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:52 AM   #24
KDL

Thanks for the tour! Great shop.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #25
JWL
Member Emeritus

Awesome old Wood Wagon. Love it. And fishing gear is a bonus. Now, with walls and floor space filled, what next? In my case I usually have to clear a place on a machine table before I can use it. A friend told me the mistake a milling machine makes is having a flat table.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #26
Mart

I don't know about the channel, Gary.

Try this.

Go to your homepage (dashboard).

Go top right and hover over your avatar and the word "account" will appear.

Click on it and a drop down menu will appear. One of those is "switch account".

See if the other account is listed there.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #27
APDAVE

Nice shop you have there! lots of Flathead parts too! thanks for the tour. Dave
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:38 PM   #28
Crankster

Default Does Olga Know About This??

You know, this is going to sound strange, but while watching the tour I was thinking one thing that can't really be demonstrated on a video too well is the garage/shop combo. It has to smell great! Lumber, pine pitch etc., + 90 wt gear oil and general Eu D Flathead Parfum, that combo has got to be invigorating.

Aromatherapy!
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Default Re: Does Olga Know About This??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
You know, this is going to sound strange, but while watching the tour I was thinking one thing that can't really be demonstrated on a video too well is the garage/shop combo. It has to smell great! Lumber, pine pitch etc., + 90 wt gear oil and general Eu D Flathead Parfum, that combo has got to be invigorating.

Aromatherapy!
There are many smells (aromas) in the red shop. Years of woodwork and all that you have mentioned and more. I love the smell when the torch meets the penetrating oil. Favorite is MMO, followed by PB Blaster. I just need one little puff. (I can quit anytime I want). This shop was built in about 2002 to supplement my cabinet shop as I added a few more employees. I had a table saw, a planer and most of the usual woodshop equipment. I always left the right hand bay open for truck repairs and 'restoration'. No woodworking allowed there. Well, as you can see the truck stuff has slowly taken over the whole shop. I am down to one employee, my son, and he is usually willing to stay after the work is done in the woodshop and turn some wrenches, wrestle a transmission, start a hidden bolt into a dark recess or do some welding with his steady 27 year old hands.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:23 PM   #30
Crankster

Wait just a goldarned second. Marvel's is OK. I can identify with that.

PB Blaster !!? Blech!

Are you familiar at all with Ballistol? *whistles* Mixed 50/50 with water is great as a corrosive powder solvent for firearms, also as leather & wood preservative. But it reeks to high heaven.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:01 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Wait just a goldarned second. Marvel's is OK. I can identify with that.

PB Blaster !!? Blech!

Are you familiar at all with Ballistol? *whistles* Mixed 50/50 with water is great as a corrosive powder solvent for firearms, also as leather & wood preservative. But it reeks to high heaven.
Never heard of it... a 'corrosive powder solvent?' not a term I recognize. I like the smells of most of the oils when hot, even one of my old diesels starting in the shop is ok for a while, but I draw the line at gear lube. A badly toasted rear axle is the worst.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #32
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
But I draw the line at gear lube. A badly toasted rear axle is the worst.
A few years ago, someone posted a picture of a transmission with the top recently taken off. I complained that I could smell that stench through the internet connection!
Old 01-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #33
Crankster

Default A rainy night in Olga

Yeah, Gear Oil is baaad stuff, odor wise. But at least a touch of it is probably unavoidable in any garage worthy of the name. I read somewhere Whale Oil was formerly used in transmissions or gearboxes going way back, and this was especially ripe.

Ballistol is a miscible mineral oil for use in cleaning firearms that used corrosive primers or blackpowder, on the principle that salts dissolve in water, not in oil as such. Modern cartridge firearms don't need cleaning the way the old school guns did. It works well but smells really bad like old dirty socks or whatever.

I always joked that it "Attracts the ladies". (They'll come out to the garage and say "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SMELL!!?") LOL
Old 01-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #34
sugarmaker

I had smokin hot PB blaster aroma tonight in the shop as I wrestled with 32 Ford door hinge pins. Did you know you get extra points if you have a can of PB blaster in the picture? Yep state law!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote