Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #241
haag1332

Default Re: carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

Thank you mitch!!
haag1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #242
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilli View Post
I was at Walmart today. They had 2 sets of sockets that contained a 13/32 deep well socket. one priced just under $10 and a larger set just under $20. They are import, so how well they will fit, I don't know. Might not be worth bringing home, but they are available.
I will not spend my Union Negotiated money at the anti union Wal Mart.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #243
Chris Haynes

I'll take one also.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #244
CWPASADENA

haag 1332;

I also would like one. Please put me on the list.

Thanks,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #245
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by haag1332 View Post
I should add. I know a number of newcomers have expressed interest in the socket and would like to order one. I have not responded to some of you yet, but I know where I left off, and I will catch up to you folks once I know exactly where we stand on the first run. I need to complete the first run in order to determine how many are scrapped from the process then go from there to see how many more new orders can be filled on the first run, then determine who will have to be taken care of on a second run. Currently I have only scrapped 2 pieces, but there is still potential for more scrap in the all be it minor finishing stages at this point.

Bill
Hay Bill, if the scrapping of the socket is due to only "be it minor finishing" and does not effect the function I'll take mine from those allowing more people to get them this time at the same already agreed upon price for "perfect".
Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #246
haag1332

I appreciate the thought mike. I am not scrapping for minor blemishes. There are numerous things that can go wrong in the process which I think we have perfected at this point. In one case a socket got double broached on the 13/32 end and will not fit the gav properly. In another case the square drive end went under tolerance when hardening and does not fit a standard 3/8 drive ratchet or extension properly. Believe me, if they were acceptable I would sell it, but I am not about to let a poor fitting socket out of here.

One reason this has taken so long is due to the fact that I figured we may make a second run. This entire first batch has been manufactured several different ways in order to figure out the best and fastest method to do these from here out. And it has been quite trying. Only good part is that all of the fixtures and tooling have been made. From here on out I will only need blanks and broaches to make the product. Bad part is the broaches are somewhat costly and are only good for so many sockets.

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #247
haag1332

Not to mention I think Bill Sr has now provided me with about 3 gav's and I have purchased 2 myself to test fit throughout the process and I am going to have to buy a few more new ones for the second run lol. And I have found that not all of them are quite the same which set me back a bit ago having to have new slightly larger broaches made in order for the sockets to accommodate some slightly larger gav's I have run across. The difference is only about 2 thousands of an inch but is just enough to cause fit problems if you happen to get one of the slightly larger gav's.

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #248
Benson

FYI

I have noticed that SOME repro GAVs and some old ones on cores are in fact 7/16ths so I have two wrenches on the bench .... 13/32nds and 7/16ths !!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #249
haag1332

If I understand correctly, and Bill Sr or other members will have to confirm this, the original gav was 13/32 and a number of repops were made 7/16 due to the lack of 13/32 wrenches or some such thing or else the 7/16 was a different year or something........

I am sure someone can explain this but as far as I know the 13/32 is the oem size for whatever years are in question and match original specifications.

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #250
haag1332

Also, the original wrench used for the housings I believe was A 12 point which apparently tends to strip the flats on a stuck gav and will not remove them. The 6 point sockets I have made have removed every housing they have been put up against so far......even the stripped and messed up ones. I am sure my father and the members of the new york club will attest to this if they feel so inclined.

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #251
haag1332

Forever4,

I am only making the socket just barely fit the repros within a thousandth of an inch just for that purpose. The originals measure .4055-.407 across the flats, the repros are .4095 at worst so the socket will fit the original nicely and just barely fit the repros. And the biggest benefit on the socket is that the id of the socket is just barely sized to fit over the barrel of the repro and original as well in order to keep the socket straight when removing or installing.

Bill
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #252
haag1332

Forever4,

Your on the list for one of these sockets. Why am I even making you one if you have this covered lol, just kidding.

Bill
Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #253
160B

If it is not too late I would like to have one also

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #254
pgerhardt

Seems to me that you should get the venders (Brattons, Snyders, etc.) to carry your socket. That way you would get bigger, more consistent orders, and anyone who needs one can get one. Win - Win!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #255
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Seems to me that you should get the venders (Brattons, Snyders, etc.) to carry your socket. That way you would get bigger, more consistent orders, and anyone who needs one can get one. Win - Win!
Agree was mentioned on post #26
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...=184769&page=2
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #256
haag1332

I am considering partnering with a supplier at some point to distribute the sockets for me. One problem is that the price will probably go up to the end user if I do so since it takes a fair amount of money to produce the socket to begin with. The original thought my wife and I had was to keep the income from the sale of the sockets outside of my business i.e. not taxed and such, and once my expenses have been recouped, any money above expenses I would make at that point would be donated to the relay for life or similar charity. If I sell to a distributor I would more than likely be unable to keep this outside my business which in turn would lower the amount we could then donate.

Not saying I won't do so, but still putting some thought into how to do this in everyone's best interest.Admittedly I am not set up to deal with the general consumer which is why I was planning to have payment made through paypal or check, but a number of people do not have paypal accounts which somewhat makes things a little difficult. Still working out the finer details of the payment aspect at this point.

Most important thing at this point guys is to get through this first run so the entire process is well defined, then go from there for further orders. Just trying not to put the rumble seat in the front of the car facing backwards at this point.

If anyone does have any thoughts on this entire process please feel free to pm me since I will take any advise or thoughts to ponder as we move forward.

Also, I have kept track of all new interest beyond those I have confirmed with, but people keep posting interest in the threads and then some send me pm's. Since there are now a couple of different threads floating around at this point, I would like to ask that any of you members who have been following this who happen to see an interest posted to a thread from someone, please respond to them and have them pm me. I am concerned that I may in fact miss someone who expresses interest in a thread even though I have been able to keep track of them so far.

Thank you guys,

Bill
Old 12-18-2015, 01:32 AM   #257
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You guys are doing fine and we appreciate what you are doing.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #258
Mikeinnj

Any idea on a shipping date for the GAV wrenches ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #259
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Any idea on a shipping date for the GAV wrenches ?
They are sockets
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #260
CarlG

When they are done?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote