Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
1crosscut

Default Can I sit in your car?

Realizing that I do not have a pristine vehicle that you can only touch if your "naked" as I see some signs on cars at shows I enjoy letting people sit in my truck. Matter of fact on the information sheet I have on my window at shows states that it is okay to touch... just be gentle.
If I see people, especially youngsters that are showing more than a passing interest in it I will most always extend the offer to sit inside if they want to do so. Sometimes there gets to be quite a few people in the que to get in. People really enjoy getting their picture taken behind the wheel.
Pretty sure that doing this has helped spark an interest in a few of the kids so that they may some day pick up the hobby.
Do you let others sit in your rig?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Can I sit in your car?

Just ask away and you can.

Mike
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
mass A man

Yes, I do, but a word of warning... the "longer leg" kids CAN reach the starter button & if your car does not have a complete kill switch in the "off" position, the car WILL move if it is left in gear. Make sure your emergency brake is GOOD and TIGHT.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
mccsix

Asking or assuming are the keys to owner intervention.
At a recent car show(unbeknownst to me) a girl climbed into the truck's drivers seat at her BFs direction, he was at the ps door when I spotted him opening the door. Went up to him and asked what he was doing, he replied sitting in the car with his gf, that's when I noticed she was already in the car fiddling with the the column levers (at the time I had a light short so she blew the fuse). Told them both to get out/away from the truck. At that point she started screaming that she didn't know how to open the door! I suggested that maybe the cops could show her when they responded to my call...that really rattled her. No apologies no remorse, they were dismayed that they weren't allowed to get in the truck "because after all, isn't that what it was there for"........@#?!!!...college kids no less.
An hour later I catch a middle aged guy removing my copper plug wire to show a friend how quaint the old Fords were...snatched out of his hand and told to get the hell away from my truck before I rearranged his nose!
Love car shows!

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
PC/SR

Sitting in a diner once with a pal, my back to the window. Pal says Hey, and points. Turn around and some woman is putting her kid in the car to take a pic.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Dusty

No, because at a show this will simply open a can of worms that you will never get closed. Its like splitting the atom once it starts it goes on forever and just gets bigger. As stated in a previous post people take way to many liberties at show as it is, I can't believe what I have seen at shows, it is unreal what people think they can do.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Onlybackroads

Yes you can sit in my car, especially if you give me $10 for a ride across town! Is that how taxi service started?
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
700rpm

If little kids ask, I always tell them they must have their parent's permission, and the parent has to be with them. If adults ask, it depends on the person. I get a lot of requests for pictures. I always say yes. After they take the photo, then I tell them I normally charge $xxx.oo, but I'll give them a special price. Always gets a smile, and after all, isn't that one reason we drive these cars, to make people smile?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Jon

A couple years a go we were at a restaurant and a family with 4 kids was leaving the same time we did. As we got near the car the kids got all excited and I told them they could get in and honk the horn. Each of them was carrying a nice big melting ice cream cone. The smiles on their faces was worth it all. That's why I bought the car!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Kevin in NJ

I think people forget, these cars were designed to be used and can handle people sitting in them.

It is important to expose people to these cars and let them know they are not some fragile museum piece. There may come a day when the legislature may decide that the cars should not be allowed to be driven on the road. After many years of being told the cars are these fragile things that only go 45 MPH everyone will only believe this. What the car is will be left behind for what the people think the car is. Too many see the A as something like the T. Not to bash the T, but they are totally different cars. The A still looks like the T and everyone thinks it is just some old slow toy that is quite to see at a car show and needs to be loaded into a trailer.

By owning an antique car we are each historians and are responsible to present the real facts. To no know the facts may come to bite you in the future.

Now for some stories....

Once at a car show with the 39 Ford I was over talking to the local guy with a Detroit Electric. I watched a guy open the driver door on my car. It was across a wider street in Ocean City, NJ. I do not mind people opening the door- a bit disrespectful, but nothing to be upset about. Then the guy leans into the car goes across and obviously is doing something in the glove box!!! So I go confront the guy. His answer, it is a car show and he can look at anything he wants!
So while the Detroit owner and I were discussing the arrogance of the guy, a young kid with a slice of pizza jumps on his cars fender. Yes, on the painted area just ahead of the running board!! So we go over and tell the kid to get off, with his parents standing just behind the car. We turn our backs and the kid jumps on again!!

After that I bought a glove box lock for my 65 Mustang Conv as I never go anywhere in that car with the top up. Well unless it is raining hard then I put the top up.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Ray64

Yes but I tell them to leave the sandwiches and drinks on the outside.
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
mshmodela

Gee, thanks need get that Battery disconnect switch in soon...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Skeezixx

I don't have any horror stories. In my experience, it's always polite people asking me if they may take a picture. I usually reply, "That's fine with me but how about this..Why don't you let me take the picture with you behind the wheel?"
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I don't have any horror stories. In my experience, it's always polite people asking me if they may take a picture. I usually reply, "That's fine with me but how about this..Why don't you let me take the picture with you behind the wheel?"
I have a "Please do not touch" sign where I have crossed out the word "not" and wrote in "ask to", so now I have a "Please do ask to touch" sign. I have a toy Tommy Gun and a Fedora and a straw hat as props for picture tasking.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
eagle

There are jerks everywhere, including car owners. If someone is interested in my car I enjoy it. If they want a ride, or to sit in it, thats fine with me. I've even let some people drive as long as I'm in the passenger seat. I would love a trailer queen, and it would stop being a trailer queen the second it was unloaded in my driveway. It would at that point become a really nice driver that anyone could come over and admire/touch/sit in/ and yes maybe drive! I hate control freaks and I refuse to be one. Now don't get me wrong, your car is your car, but...My car is MY car and I will allow others to admire it all they want. The model A is very tough AND repairable.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Napa Skip

You may touch this car 2 - small.jpg
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
ABento

One of the toys we take to shows has props in the front seat so I'll leave the windows down but lock the doors,but I've had people let their kids in the next seat back so they could rach around and play with the props,one gal twisted the outside door handle so that it poped out of the latch plate,I was tempted to ask her if I could twist things on her, I'm sorry I don't like people just feeling free to do as they wish to someones car at a show,ask me and I'm fine.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
newshirt

No horror stories here either. I let people do almost anything they want, including driving the car. Lots of strangers have driven my car. But 99% ask before touching.

If somebody breaks it, I'll probably just fix it later. I accepted that risk the moment I pulled out of the garage.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
Al 29Tudor

I pulled into a Starbuck's and as I was walking away a boy about 10 or 11 was looking at my car. I asked him if he would like to sit in the car and he looked at me like I was crazy. My friend said you cant ask a kid if he wants to sit in your car in this day and age. Yes, she was right!
Now I only talk to a parent and ask if their child would like to sit in the car. They might just turn into a collector when they get older.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
P.S.

I let a group of kids attending a birthday party at a restaurant get into the Tudor and take pictures. The Tudor was more popular than a bouncy house. They were respectful and careful. And, for the record, my car IS "trailer queen" quality. Though it is driven all the time. I just keep it very clean and neat.

Some of those kids will grow up remembering that day, and some of those may even have an interest in owning a Model A or similar car someday and carrying the torch when we are gone.

I don't have kids of my own, so who am I going to leave my Model A with? Never know... It may be one of those kids mentioned above.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote