Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Wiring on my '35 truck

So, I'll save you all the boring details and just say that I am rewiring my truck. For now, i am not doing any wiring for lights, gauges and the like, only what it need to start and run. My question is, was there/should there be a fuse box on these trucks?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Wiring on my '35 truck

Only on the lighting circuits (if your talking original). It's not really a fuse "box", it is a panel with one fuse and the ingition ballast resistor. The "hot" terminal on the panel is the connection for most of the wiring including the ingition. Do you have the wiring diagram?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Licensed to kill

I have "A" wiring diagram. The truck came with new wiring harnesses which contain a wiring diagram. The one harness has the lighting switch on it but i am not using that one yet. The other, which contains the same diagram has a harness without the switch but I have yet to be able to identify what it is for exactly. So, I am just wiring up the necessary circuits to start and run the engine. The diagram shows a "fuse panel". Going by memory here, I have a hot going to one side of the starter button, other side to the starter solenoid. A hot going to one side of the ignition switch (on the side of the steering column) and the other side of the ignition switch to the coil but I think I also need the down stream side of the ignition switch going to the voltage regulator. My thinking is that when the ignition switch is turned on, it supplies power to the coil and the voltage regulator (I left all of the other wires from the regulator to the generator in tact for now). Turn on the ignition switch, hit the start button and it should go........yes?......no?.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The battery connects to the floor mounted starter switch. From there a hot wire passes through the ammeter to the always hot terminal of the fuse/resistor panel. There is a wire from this hot terminal to the ignition switch and then back to the ballast resistor on the fuse panel and then to the coil. There is a wire from the generator cutout to this same hot terminal on the fuse/resistor panel. I can draw up a 35 diagram if you need it.

Edit: I remove a diagram I had drawn, it was labeled as 36, but it was actually 37 and it was just confusing. I added a diagram that I did NOT draw up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1935.jpg (108.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg fuse resistor-fuseblock 40-12250.jpg (61.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg fuseblck with wires fused-non-fused alt1.jpg (49.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Licensed to kill

Thanks. The first pic is the diagram I have. I have not found a ballast resistor or a fuse panel anywhere. The wiring was a mess and used a push pull switch on the dash for the lights. I will be going back to the original steering mounted light switch. I'll look again in the morning but there was no resistor in the coil wire that I found.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Don Rogers

Here is a 35 wiring diagram for a pickup or passenger car. I have also included an image of the fuse block and resistor that should be mounted on the inside of the firewall behind the dash.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WD1935D.jpg (93.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg fuseblck with wires fused-non-fused.jpg (55.6 KB, 21 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #7
Tinker

You can wire it anyway you want and it'll be fine. Maybe forget everything that is wired currently and think stock?

If your asking, to go with a original electrical wiring there are threads.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote